ADVERTISEMENT

Were the dark colored unis a disadvantage to NU in our night game loss?

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
hbecupp9rkzbc8bgmr5a

Just looking at this photo from Lou's thread caused me to wonder if anyone has ever done a study to learn whether the teams playing with the white jerseys have an advantage in a night game? Seems it would be easier and quicker for the quarterback to locate his receivers in the dark if they are easier to see. It is not as if the night lights at Ryan are positioned to evenly light the entire field.

Anecdotal, but in our Purdue night game win we had the lighter colors. We have had some significant losses in the past playing night games at home, and when we play at home we rarely wear white, right?

"Thursday Night Lights Whites - in West Lafayette:"
Screen_Shot_2018_08_30_at_11.57.45_AM.0.png

Last edited:
hbecupp9rkzbc8bgmr5a

Just looking at this photo from Lou's thread caused me to wonder if anyone has ever done a study to learn whether the teams playing with the white jerseys have an advantage in a night game? Seems it would be easier and quicker for the quarterback to locate his receivers in the dark if they are easier to see. It is not as if the night lights at Ryan are positioned to evenly light the entire field.

Anecdotal, but in our Purdue night game win we had the lighter colors. We have had some significant losses in the past playing night games at home, and when we play at home we rarely wear white, right?

"Thursday Night Lights in West Lafayette:"

1) No

2) Home teams wear dark colors per NCAA rules absent an agreement between the schools

Also true in the Fitz era.....Fitz's record on the road is better than his record at home.......
I still think its got to be quite a let down for our guys to play at Ryan Field after seeing the crowds in Lincoln and Madison and Columbus, etc....

Reactions: GuessYouWereWrong
I still think its got to be quite a let down for our guys to play at Ryan Field after seeing the crowds in Lincoln and Madison and Columbus, etc....
I agree. I think they feed off the energy of the visiting crowd at those places. Might actually have an advantage next Saturday with the stands full of vocal Maize and Blue.....

Given that purple no longer seems to be school's color for football, maybe the cats should experiment with fluorescent orange or lime jerseys for night games.

I don’t know did the uni’s make a decision to go for it. Or have the ball bounce off a receivers hands. Or fumble in the red zone. Or give up multiple big gainers...

hbecupp9rkzbc8bgmr5a

"Thursday Night Lights in West Lafayette:"
Seems to me (in my ever-growing ignorance) that the primary advantage would be in favor of the secondary of the dark-clad team. I don't see any evidence that that was the case.

I agree. I think they feed off the energy of the visiting crowd at those places. Might actually have an advantage next Saturday with the stands full of vocal Maize and Blue.....

I'll be in town for my first game at Ryan Field next weekend. Are there really that many Michigan fans that come to the game?

You don't have to agree. I've wondered how uniform colors affect player location on the field.
I would assume they would be in the same location on the field regardless of their uniform color...

I would assume they would be in the same location on the field regardless of their uniform color...

Location. The "act or process of locating".

"White against a dark green background enables easier player location than purple against a dark green background".

Location.

Tough crowd of nerds here!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Location. The "act or process of locating".

"White against a dark green background enables easier player location than purple against a dark green background".

Location.

Tough crowd of nerds here!
lo·ca·tion
lōˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a particular place or position.
    “The player wearing the purple jersey changed into the white jersey without moving his feet. He was still in the same location, although he was easier to see.”

lo·ca·tion
lōˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a particular place or position.
    “The player wearing the purple jersey changed into the white jersey without moving his feet. He was still in the same location, although he was easier to see.”

That's the second definition in the dictionary I examined. I burned your dictionary.

"The players' location of the white-jerseyed players' location is much easier than the purple players' location."

That's the second definition in the dictionary I examined. I burned your dictionary.
Well, you have made your point although I can’t agree with your position. Where you were at the venue could affect how you would spot the site of the location.
Without my dictionary I will no longer be able to cite any of this.

I tend to be a big fan of little things adding up to make a difference but the game didn't turn on CT's ability to see his receivers. If anything having the dark uni's in a poor lighting situation should be an advantage in that CT should know where his receivers are running and how the routes should develop. Conversely, if the defenders are hard to see that would lead to more interceptions. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT