ADVERTISEMENT

Western Michigan @ Northwestern Open Game Thread

Forget the call. Thorson doesn't like contact. He turtles and seems afraid to get hit.

Last edited:
Cats should be up by 6 right now. That goal line stand was successful; guy's knee was down.

[sorry slow posting, watching 3 games at once, heh]

Plenty of time left to win this. Defense needs to stop them dead.

WHY THE HELL DID WE JUST TAKE A TIMEOUT THE CLOCK WAS STOPPED HE WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Clock only stops in last 2 minutes on OB plays -- clock would have started up on the snap. Probably shouldn't have taken the TO there though because only 25 sec vs 40. But still WTF MCCALL -- GIVE THE BALL TO JJ ON THE 6

At least the announcer agrees it should not have been a touchback and NU should have scored.

Ugly game. We'll have AW for another season if he plays like this all year. But we lost it in the trenches today. Very disappointing.

Two replays that coulda/shoulda gone our way. Western Michigan got both.

That one drive where WMU got tackled by the turf monster, their all-world WR dropped one in the end zone, and the FGA hit the crossbar - we got all our breaks right there. No more after that.

Furious.

But it should NEVER come down to that against a MAC team. Fitz was out coached. He was merely a spectator in this game.

I'd guess I'd ask when and where Fitz was outcoached. I don't have ESPNU so I listened to WNUR, but it seems to me they beat us fair and square and if anything it could have been worse. The line play on both sides needs help.

I'm hoping for a 7-5 season now but I dunno. That would mean we go 7-4 the rest of the way . . . .

Embarrassing

Totally humiliating. The defense was utterly toothless. Walker looked bloated and slow, as if he believes his own press. Speaking of bloated and slow, our DEs put no pressure on Terrell. Huge, yes, but a step or two slower.

Meanwhile Thorson continues to look rigid and inept under pressure. Our OC kept it way too vanilla in the first half after a nicely scripted opening drive. Just imagine if we didn't have Jackson.

This is at best a 6-6 team with this schedule and hopefully another lousy season will force changes. Maybe we will finally get a real OL coach and an OC who doesn't sleepwalk through the first half. Our OL was pushed around by one of the MAC's worst DLs.

Losing the home opener to a lesser school was predictably Fitzgerald. We cant resist losing to New Hampshire, WMU, NIU. We always play down to the competition under Pat.

Reactions: kreggk
I'd guess I'd ask when and where Fitz was outcoached. I don't have ESPNU so I listened to WNUR, but it seems to me they beat us fair and square and if anything it could have been worse. The line play on both sides needs help.

I'm hoping for a 7-5 season now but I dunno. That would mean we go 7-4 the rest of the way . . . .
Agree. We didn't lose this game because of coaching decisions; we lost this game because both of our lines got manhandled.

He was oddly passive as the refs screwed us over. But otherwise he was out coached in the offseason. This team did not play with any urgency and a number of guys looked out of shape, which is just incredibly hard to fathom after we wilted like flowers in the bowl game. Our conditioning staff decided that our guys needed to get fatter and slower.

Our defense was quite often not in a position to make an immediate play on the ball. Rarely anticipated anything. WMU moved at will. Do you think NU has physically regressed that much in the off-season? We didn't make solid adjustments all day (and it wasn't just end-play).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT