ADVERTISEMENT

What a Dumb Site for the Championship Game

Not really sure why anyone other than the brokers would care about ticket prices.

That being said it did seem to be an odd choice considering the regular complaints about the turf condition when you also consider there potentially could have been an NFL game the same weekend had the 49er's not sucked.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Neither school can sell out their own allotments. Tickets for as cheap as $100. Location has few College Football fans. Ridiculous!

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal.../tickets-cfp-title-game-less-expensive-before

Turk, I agree with your post, and I live in the area.

Independent of the specific location, I hate the BCS playoff system, and much preferred college football focused on conference championships and regional rivalries with intersectional arguments settled occasionally through non conference games and sometimes by serendipity when 2 highly regarded teams were able to meet in a bowl. This sense of chance made a number of Bowl games memorable. The BCS is designed to create a media event that looks like the little brother of the super bowl, this year complete with a commercially hyped halftime show.

All that aside,
picking Santa Clara as the site is awful. While the stadium has amenities (shopping opportunities, high end concessions!) it is isolated, exposed to wind and sun, and built in a way that many of the seats seem miles from the field. The Bay Area is hard to get to and expensive to stay in, ensuring that many real fans are priced out of attending. It is a cold, sterile, corporate idea of what a football stadium and football game should be. The stadium have a huge number of corporate suites for entertaining customers and that, combined with the shopping mall aspects make it the epitome of what the BCS Championship Game is: a manufactured attempt to mimic the Super Bowl so media rights can be sold and dollars made by the NCAA.

Turk, I agree with your post, and I live in the area.

Independent of the specific location, I hate the BCS playoff system, and much preferred college football focused on conference championships and regional rivalries with intersectional arguments settled occasionally through non conference games and sometimes by serendipity when 2 highly regarded teams were able to meet in a bowl. This sense of chance made a number of Bowl games memorable. The BCS is designed to create a media event that looks like the little brother of the super bowl, this year complete with a commercially hyped halftime show.

All that aside,
picking Santa Clara as the site is awful. While the stadium has amenities (shopping opportunities, high end concessions!) it is isolated, exposed to wind and sun, and built in a way that many of the seats seem miles from the field. The Bay Area is hard to get to and expensive to stay in, ensuring that many real fans are priced out of attending. It is a cold, sterile, corporate idea of what a football stadium and football game should be. The stadium have a huge number of corporate suites for entertaining customers and that, combined with the shopping mall aspects make it the epitome of what the BCS Championship Game is: a manufactured attempt to mimic the Super Bowl so media rights can be sold and dollars made by the NCAA.
As an aside, what do you think about the Stanford stadium? I'm thinking of coming out there for game 1.

As a side note, you are also right about the fact that California is relatively apathetic to college football. There are 7 FBS teams in the state of 40 million people (Cal, UCLA, Stanford, USC, SDSU, Fresno State and San Jose State). Since about 1/8th of the country lives in California, if the rest of the country supported football at the same intensity, there would be 56 teams in the FBS.

Last edited:
As an aside, what do you think about the Stanford stadium? I'm thinking of coming out there for game 1.

Turk, it is a bare-bones but very serviceable place to watch a game. It is a little hard to get to, but you can really see the game from every seat.

I’m sure the distance from the two participating schools isn’t helping much with ticket sales either.

As a side note, you are also right about the fact that California is relatively apathetic to college football. There are 7 FBS teams in the state of 40 million people (Cal, Stanford, USC, SDSU, Fresno State and San Jose State). Since about 1/8th of the country lives in California, if the rest of the country supported football at the same intensity, there would be 56 teams in the FBS.
Better than New York. With their massive population, they have, what, Syracuse, Buffalo, and? Who am I forgetting? No, Buttgers doesn't count; they're New Jersey, just like the Jets and the Giants.

As a side note, you are also right about the fact that California is relatively apathetic to college football. There are 7 FBS teams in the state of 40 million people (Cal, Stanford, USC, SDSU, Fresno State and San Jose State). Since about 1/8th of the country lives in California, if the rest of the country supported football at the same intensity, there would be 56 teams in the FBS.
And UCLA. My father-in-law, a UCLA alum, would yell at you if he saw this.

Reactions: NUCat320
All the reasons mentioned so far are legitimate reasons for the lack on interest in attendance. These are also two fan bases that don’t see a National Championship game as a once in a lifetime opportunity, nor alumni that has a large national representation. People from the South generally stay in the South.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT