ADVERTISEMENT

What gives with Hunter?

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Is he hurt? Did he somehow piss off Fitz? Does he suck?

We are down by 5 tds, even dOSU puts in their 2nd string guy?

Honestly, I won't be surprised to see Fitz put in Marty. Who knows HuJo might have a torn ACL, would never know with Mr Cloak and Dagger on the sidelines

If he is not hurt then he is done at NU, no reasonable excuse for him to not get snaps in this game if he is healthy. My feeling is he is a total bust. But who knows.

Reactions: chrisnw

Honestly, I won't be surprised to see Fitz put in Marty. Who knows HuJo might have a torn ACL, would never know with Mr Cloak and Dagger on the sidelines

I suspect he’s more hurt than Fitz wants to admit.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Rather put him on the injury report than fool us with the OR designation.

Hunter was on the sidelines, in full gear with his helmet on. The TV cameras showed him standing the in the second half.

I think Fitz just saved him for next week. I suspect if the game was closer and Smith had gotten injured, Hunter would've played.

Do we know for sure that Smith and Marty haven't supplanted Johnson on the depth chart?

Hunter was on the sidelines, in full gear with his helmet on. The TV cameras showed him standing the in the second half.

I think Fitz just saved him for next week. I suspect if the game was closer and Smith had gotten injured, Hunter would've played.

Is Hunter injured?

Do we know for sure that Smith and Marty haven't supplanted Johnson on the depth chart?
Fitz said it is because Marty is from Ohio.

Wow

Have any of you ever sat on the bench? I did one year. It @#$& sucks. It's embarrassing. What must be going through Hunter's mind. He is 4th string if you include TJ

I would like to think that the coaches kept him out because he's not 100%. Throwing him in at dOSU once it was clear we were outclassed on the field probably shielded the kid from a beating physically and confidence wise.

I'd like to think this, but I just don't know.

The most difficult part of our season is behind us. Hopefully, it's time for Hunter to emerge and be who we all thought he was. Hopefully, the damn coaches can do something to our scheme to give him or whoever steps out there a chance to win..

I have to admit that part of me hopes our O continues to struggle for the rest of the season and we finish last in the country in O so Fitz has no choice but to make a change. Take the short term pain for the longer term gain. Cut open the festering boil to let the pus drain out and allow us to finally heal. The other part of me thinks even then his stubbornness will let us down.

Fitz said it is because Marty is from Ohio.

Wow

Have any of you ever sat on the bench? I did one year. It @#$& sucks. It's embarrassing. What must be going through Hunter's mind. He is 4th string if you include TJ
Can't believe Fitz actually said he used Marty because he's from Ohio. Do we have any QB's from Io-a? This shit season is on the coaches, especially Fitz.

If Hunter is in fact healthy, this is more evidence of coaching malpractice. The coaches have failed him.
They were gifted a 5-star talent at quarterback and they completely mishandled him.

Absolutely. Just a travesty. No 5 star player has ever not met expectations in the history of college football. Just absolute malpractice and the Johnson family should sue for what this coaching staff has done to their son.

Stars are for losers I imagine Fitz would say.

Over 200 million dollar Taj Mah Fitz to cater to get the best diamonds in the rough... ha ha ha.

Absolutely. Just a travesty. No 5 star player has ever not met expectations in the history of college football. Just absolute malpractice and the Johnson family should sue for what this coaching staff has done to their son.

I really don’t think this is the sort of mind game the conspiracy theorists are making it out to be.

I am guessing, based on the very limited amount of HJ’s playing time, that Hunter is still sort of lost out there.

Specifically, I think he is still learning to read the defenses. Why? When the pocket is collapsing, and he tucks the ball and runs, he tends to turn and run directly into the rush. If he can’t read where the pressure is coming from, surely there are many other reads which he isn’t making.

Look, he clearly has a fantastic arm. He seems like a good guy. In some ways, this 5* thing is a millstone around his neck.

He is a college QB with a lot of potential, who needs to develop (like the 99% of other mortals do.)

If #freehunter wasn't on the two deep this week, I could have Embraced the Suck for this game. I was hoping to see 15 there in garbage time but we got Marty since it's big deal for Ohio players. Hopefully we will see HJ for Indiana and Purdue!!!

Reactions: drewjin
Stars are for losers I imagine Fitz would say.

Over 200 million dollar Taj Mah Fitz to cater to get the best diamonds in the rough... ha ha ha.

Now THAT is the legit question. This whole thing isn’t a surprise to those with realistic assessments of the program as opposed to those who think saying what they want to believe makes it true. There was an InsideNU article that showed that statistically, the offense this year isn’t far off what it was last year. The difference this year, fewer turnovers and fortunate breaks. We’ve seen this in a key missed PI call vs. Nebraska, and poorly timed OL penalties vs. Wisconsin and Stanford, that could have been a difference. Last year those things went our way and this year they haven’t.

Despite message board film analysts and apologists with excuses left and right why the kids who commit to NU don’t garner offers from the teams against which we are competing, our kids by and large aren’t on the same level athletically as those in the rest of the Big Ten. We get largely players with MAC interest and from lower level P5 programs. Fans here are incensed when our coaches can’t always take that clay and turn it into a top P5 program, and while they are genuflecting on ‘Congratulatory threads’ and posting how they think every three star recruit with a majority of MAC and FCS offers reminds them of a former NU All Big Ten player.

It isn’t about ‘getting good players’. It’s about getting good players who can beat the other guys’ players.

Last edited:
I really don’t think this is the sort of mind game the conspiracy theorists are making it out to be.

I am guessing, based on the very limited amount of HJ’s playing time, that Hunter is still sort of lost out there.

Specifically, I think he is still learning to read the defenses. Why? When the pocket is collapsing, and he tucks the ball and runs, he tends to turn and run directly into the rush. If he can’t read where the pressure is coming from, surely there are many other reads which he isn’t making.

Look, he clearly has a fantastic arm. He seems like a good guy. In some ways, this 5* thing is a millstone around his neck.

He is a college QB with a lot of potential, who needs to develop (like the 99% of other mortals do.)
He's not going to develop his skills, riding the bench,

Yep. I think Hunter will be the starter next week. Fitz is weird about stuff and that would be typical of how he handles things.

Reactions: NUCat320
If #freehunter wasn't on the two deep this week, I could have Embraced the Suck for this game. I was hoping to see 15 there in garbage time but we got Marty since it's big deal for Ohio players. Hopefully we will see HJ for Indiana and Purdue!!!
Six games to go and they need to win five to become bowl eligible. Where are those five wins? UMass? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue? Don't think they have a shot vs, Io-a and Minny either.

Now THAT is the legit question. This whole thing isn’t a surprise to those with realistic assessments of the program as opposed to those who think saying what they want to believe makes it true. There was an InsideNU article that showed that statistically, the offense this year isn’t far off what it was last year. The difference this year, fewer turnovers and fortunate breaks. We’ve seen this in a key missed PI call vs. Nebraska, and poorly timed OL penalties vs. Wisconsin and Stanford, that could have been a difference. Last year those things went our way and this year they haven’t.

Despite message board film analysts and apologists with excuses left and right why the kids who commit to NU don’t garner offers from the teams against which we are competing, our kids by and large aren’t on the same level athletically as those in the rest of the Big Ten. We get largely players with MAC interest and from lower level P5 programs. Fans here are incensed when our coaches can’t always take that clay and turn it into a top P5 program, and while they are genuflecting on ‘Congratulatory threads’ and posting how they think every three star recruit with a majority of MAC and FCS offers reminds them of a former NU All Big Ten player.

It isn’t about ‘getting good players’. It’s about getting good players who can beat the other guys’ players.

You either have a selective memory or are willfully ignorant. Look at our commits’ offer lists the past few years. Maybe not “Ohio State” level, but B1G offers up and down the list.

So we get good players on D but not on O? Or we develop D players better? Or none of the above? Because the defense has been upper tier BIG level for a decade while the O has been the oppositie

Kid made a huge mistake coming here. Definately, not well thought out if he wanted to develop as a QB.

You either have a selective memory or are willfully ignorant. Look at our commits’ offer lists the past few years. Maybe not “Ohio State” level, but B1G offers up and down the list.
not true. There are almost 0 decent players who have signed with us when you focus on offense.
Since 2015 our biggest catch on offense right out of high school has been Smith who is a 5.7.
Not sure why you spread lies but the only better rated ones who verballed all flipped and eventually signed elsewhere.
Fitz, McCall, Gocats -1

So we get good players on D but not on O? Or we develop D players better? Or none of the above? Because the defense has been upper tier BIG level for a decade while the O has been the oppositie

Couple of thoughts:

Fitz failed to replace his oline coach years ago when the quality of play started dropping.

Fitz wanted a ball control power spread and this is in part by design.

if there is a reason to overhaul the offensive staff keeping most recent additions it’s their failure to identify offensive players in recruiting.

this year was going to be a struggle but the level of bad is surprising but it’s really the culmination of years of little things building up over time all coming together.

i don’t get what the coaches see in Smith and why his atrocious performance last night is excused as a team issue (see Teddy G’s article praising Smith) but Johnson’s performance against Wisconsin is somehow all on him. Whatever.

not true. There are almost 0 decent players who have signed with us when you focus on offense.
Since 2015 our biggest catch on offense right out of high school has been Smith who is a 5.7.
Not sure why you spread lies but the only better rated ones who verballed all flipped and eventually signed elsewhere.
Fitz, McCall, Gocats -1

Ok, man. Whatever you say Turk.

We don't have an offensive line!

So you think our defensive backs play 10 yards off the ball and our defensive strategy is to give teams the underneath all game long, waiting for them to make a mistake, because we have superior athletes there? In my opinion the entire defensive game plan is designed to accommodate our players being less athletic than the players they are covering.

Reactions: docrugby1
So you think our defensive backs play 10 yards off the ball and our defensive strategy is to give teams the underneath all game long, waiting for them to make a mistake, because we have superior athletes there? In my opinion the entire defensive game plan is designed to accommodate our players being less athletic than the players they are covering.

Hank’s scheme is cover-4. Always has been.

ADVERTISEMENT