ADVERTISEMENT

What gives with Hunter?

So you think our defensive backs play 10 yards off the ball and our defensive strategy is to give teams the underneath all game long, waiting for them to make a mistake, because we have superior athletes there? In my opinion the entire defensive game plan is designed to accommodate our players being less athletic than the players they are covering.
I don’t know if this is something you’ll agree with or not, but I personally think that’s the sign of a good coach and a smart game plan. Recognizing your roster’s strengths or weaknesses, and implementing a game plan that puts the team in the best position to succeed within the constraints (or opportunities) presented by your roster.

Now, the outcome may not have been a success. But I think that’s more on the talent gap than the defensive game plan, and it speaks to recruiting and roster construction rather than the game plan.

Either way, I think history has shown that defensive game plan is not the scab to be picking at. (And maybe this was exactly your point all along!)

Now THAT is the legit question. This whole thing isn’t a surprise to those with realistic assessments of the program as opposed to those who think saying what they want to believe makes it true. There was an InsideNU article that showed that statistically, the offense this year isn’t far off what it was last year. The difference this year, fewer turnovers and fortunate breaks. We’ve seen this in a key missed PI call vs. Nebraska, and poorly timed OL penalties vs. Wisconsin and Stanford, that could have been a difference. Last year those things went our way and this year they haven’t.

Despite message board film analysts and apologists with excuses left and right why the kids who commit to NU don’t garner offers from the teams against which we are competing, our kids by and large aren’t on the same level athletically as those in the rest of the Big Ten. We get largely players with MAC interest and from lower level P5 programs. Fans here are incensed when our coaches can’t always take that clay and turn it into a top P5 program, and while they are genuflecting on ‘Congratulatory threads’ and posting how they think every three star recruit with a majority of MAC and FCS offers reminds them of a former NU All Big Ten player.

It isn’t about ‘getting good players’. It’s about getting good players who can beat the other guys’ players.
Inside NU. There is a publication with it fingers on the pulse of the situation. I think they might of got it right this time. Our offense is like last years offense. Bad. It will eventually catch up to you.

We aren’t as athletic as the rest of the Big Ten. That’s BS. We are similar to at least 9 of the other Big Ten teams. We are woefully less athletic that the top 3 teams. MAC offers. Really. How about I recite the offers for certain players that rarely if ever see the field at NU? How long are the “experts” going to continue to blame the players when it is obvious there is at least one coach doing a brutal job.

I don’t know if this is something you’ll agree with or not, but I personally think that’s the sign of a good coach and a smart game plan. Recognizing your roster’s strengths or weaknesses, and implementing a game plan that puts the team in the best position to succeed within the constraints (or opportunities) presented by your roster.

Now, the outcome may not have been a success. But I think that’s more on the talent gap than the defensive game plan, and it speaks to recruiting and roster construction rather than the game plan.

Either way, I think history has shown that defensive game plan is not the scab to be picking at. (And maybe this was exactly your point all along!)
Again, the players are unathletic and the Coaches are smart.

Reactions: phatcat
ADVERTISEMENT