ADVERTISEMENT

What is the most frustrating NU play you can remember?

What is the most frustrating NU play you can remember?

• Mike Kafka throws ball backwards vs. Indiana (2008)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Brian Musso's "fumble" vs. USC - Rose Bowl (1996)

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • Final bad snap vs. Miami (1995)

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Two-point conversion attempt vs. Michigan (2014)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Fake field goal vs. Auburn (2010)

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Hail Mary vs. Nebraska (2013)

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • End of regulation field goal (players not set) vs. Michigan (2013)

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Damien Anderson drops pass vs. Michigan (2000)

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 53-yarder to Roundtree vs. Michigan (2012)

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
I feel compelled to mention back-to-back plays in the 2012 game in Ann Arbor. Holding a 31-28 lead, NU punted from the Michigan 49-yard-line with 18 seconds left. We inexplicably drill a line drive punt right to the returner at the 15, and he returns it to the Michigan 38. The next play, Michigan completes a tipped Hail Mary to the NU 9-yard-line. It then ties the game with a FG with two seconds left and wins in OT. Ugh. I remember throwing something and scaring the crap out of my then-young kids.

EDIT: I just realized that the Hail Mary I mentioned is the last choice in the poll. I remember being just as frustrated by the preceding punt.
I voted 2013 but I would have voted for 2012 if it had been on the list. We were sitting in the 6th row on the goal line. Seems to me that there was also an uncalled penalty in there too.

99 yards to Vinny Sutherland
At least it happened vs one of the greatest QBs of all times as opposed to the collection of stiffs at Mich that couldn't seem to beat anyone decent except us, in excruciating fashion, three years in a row. Those three should be like an "entry" in horse racing - 1, 1a and 1b

Every single first down attempted run up the middle during Mick McCall's tenure as Offensive Coordinator.
Come on, at least some of those got back to line of scrimmage -- or maybe +1yd.
The "speed" options for -3 or -4yds, now those were true things of beauty....

Because wins were still rare before 1995, I will toss in the questionable no good call on Brian Leahy’s field goal attempt as time ran out in the dusk on Halloween against Michigan State in 1992.

The really bad aspect of that one was that it was a non-contact fumble with nothing but open field in front of him. I still have not gotten over it and my immediate reaction had me on domestic probation for quite awhile.
Why? Net result of the season would have been the same even if we beat Sparty.

Why? Net result of the season would have been the same even if we beat Sparty.
Nope. If we beat MSU we would have been undefeated in the BIG regular season, still in the running for the playoffs, and our only loss would have been a close one to OSU in the BIG Championship Game. This probably would have resulted in a higher final ranking. After all, ND got into the playoffs with 1 loss in the ACC Champioship Game. ND also got drubbed in their playoff Bowl Game, and we won ours.

Nope. If we beat MSU we would have been undefeated in the BIG regular season, still in the running for the playoffs, and our only loss would have been a close one to OSU in the BIG Championship Game. This probably would have resulted in a higher final ranking. After all, ND got into the playoffs with 1 loss in the ACC Champioship Game. ND also got drubbed in their playoff Bowl Game, and we won ours.
We still would have been out of the playoffs. There’s no way we would have jumped ND as the second team in the playoffs. I guess we would have had an outside chance at the Fiesta bowl, but color me giddy with a Citrus Bowl victory after that dreadful 2019 campaign.

We still would have been out of the playoffs. There’s no way we would have jumped ND as the second team in the playoffs. I guess we would have had an outside chance at the Fiesta bowl, but color me giddy with a Citrus Bowl victory after that dreadful 2019 campaign.
We might have been out of the playoffs, maybe not. Can't imagine that we would have missed a New Years 6 Bowl game with out only loss being in the BIG Championship Game to a play-off team. But, if none of those things had happened, and we still banged Auburn in the Citrus Bowl, we would have wound up with a higher year end ranking. So, your suggestion that "the net result would have been the same" is just not correct.

Missed Leahy field goals vs. Minnesota and Michigan State.

Leary goalline fumble vs. Wisconsin

Thorson goalline fumble vs. Western Michigan.
I will go to my grave believing that field goal was good against Michigan State.

Also in that Minnesota game there was a play in the 4th quarter where Len Williams ran out of bounds and I noticed about 4 seconds ran off the clock before it stopped. We sure could've used them at the end of the game.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We might have been out of the playoffs, maybe not. Can't imagine that we would have missed a New Years 6 Bowl game with out only loss being in the BIG Championship Game to a play-off team. But, if none of those things had happened, and we still banged Auburn in the Citrus Bowl, we would have wound up with a higher year end ranking. So, your suggestion that "the net result would have been the same" is just not correct.
Can you honestly name the exact final ranking for us off the top of your head?

I’m a numbers guy and I can’t. I just remember we were top 10 at one point, and finished in the top 25 thanks to our bowl victory. We were probably in the top 20. I honestly can’t remember our final rankings after any of our seasons that we were good enough to finish ranked - and I doubt 99.9% of fans and more importantly recruits can.

So yes, the net result would have been the same. If we couldn’t beat OSU, we’d still have likely been jumped by Iowa State for the Fiesta Bowl and faced Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. Maybe we’d have finished ranked a few spots higher. The MSU loss was not a program-shifting event by any means.

I’m a numbers guy and I can’t. I just remember we were top 10 at one point, and finished in the top 25 thanks to our bowl victory. We were probably in the top 20. I honestly can’t remember our final rankings after any of our seasons that we were good enough to finish ranked - and I doubt 99.9% of fans and more importantly recruits can.

So yes, the net result would have been the same. If we couldn’t beat OSU, we’d still have likely been jumped by Iowa State for the Fiesta Bowl and faced Auburn in the Citrus Bowl. Maybe we’d have finished ranked a few spots higher. The MSU loss was not a program-shifting event by any means.
Your argument is weird.

“Most frustrating play” certainly doesn’t mean “most negatively program-shifting” play.

Everyone is mentioning that illegal field goal by Michigan; I was more frustrated when Tyris Jones (or Malin Jones) got the ball in fourth down in OT, either later that game or +/- a year. (I appreciated the execution and coaching on the field goal — and was so angry that JJTBC didn’t get the ball.)

Also, “most frustrating” is another way of saying “emotionally draining, in the moment”. McGowan’s fumble was consequential in the moment — because it was the play that ended the playoff hopes, and it was just so rudimentary.

Also, I know NoChores is nothing if not a man in touch with his feelings, and I’ve learned that you’ll never win when you tell someone his feelings are wrong. Feelings aren’t wrong — they’re what we feel.

So the best response to NoChores now, or any time he feels cranky, is “That must be very difficult. I’m here if you want to talk about it.” Or perhaps “I see you. I hear you.”

Last edited:

We finished 10th. Almost all of our recruits know that because our recent recruiting pitch has been top ten in football and top ten in academics. Many recite that when interviewed by Lou. Wake up!

We finished 10th. Almost all of our recruits know that because our recent recruiting pitch has been top ten in football and top ten in academics. Many recite that when interviewed by Lou. Wake up!
I see you. I hear you. I was just trying to relieve you of the psychic pain from an inconsequential fumble - we finished in the top 10 regardless! Because that must be very difficult. I’m still here if you want to talk about it

As others have pointed out, the 2006 loss to MSU was much more painful for several reasons. Does that still stand as the biggest comeback ever?

CMT, you are arguing with a lawyer, or maybe you are one too. 😊
So? Should we immediately shut down all football debate if the other poster is an attorney, or a more experienced attorney than oneself?

In the tribunal of pigskin law, the Football Gods are the Supreme Court.

All of these that you guys are mentioning are solid candidates for the "Most frustrating" title. I'll toss in another one that I haven't seen mentioned. How about Brian Gowins hitting the upright with a couple of minutes left in the Rose Bowl, effectively sealing it as a loss? Had that kick gone through, it would've been 41-35 with enough time for several plays afterward had we recovered the onside kick.

I see you. I hear you. I was just trying to relieve you of the psychic pain from an inconsequential fumble - we finished in the top 10 regardless! Because that must be very difficult. I’m still here if you want to talk about it

As others have pointed out, the 2006 loss to MSU was much more painful for several reasons. Does that still stand as the biggest comeback ever?
You might see me or hear me, but you still haven't learned anything because you don't understand the the question. There are no legal issues involved here, but if there were you'd be laughed out of the courtroom. The 2006 debacle was awful and I watched it in person from the 40 yard line.

You might see me or hear me, but you still haven't learned anything because you don't understand the the question. There are no legal issues involved here, but if there were you'd be laughed out of the courtroom. The 2006 debacle was awful and I watched it in person from the 40 yard line.
I’m sorry counselor, but in the tribunal of pigskin law your emotions won’t win on appeal to the Football Gods. I won’t be laughed out of there, I can assure you of that.

Besides even if McGowan didn’t fumble against Sparty, there’s no guarantee we win the game. Our team didn’t pay proper respect to the opponent and the press clippings weighed them down. Football Law 101.

I’m sorry counselor, but in the tribunal of pigskin law your emotions won’t win on appeal to the Football Gods. I won’t be laughed out of there, I can assure you of that.

Besides even if McGowan didn’t fumble against Sparty, there’s no guarantee we win the game. Our team didn’t pay proper respect to the opponent and the press clippings weighed them down. Football Law 101.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

“That fumble must have been really painful for you. Tell me about that.”

Reactions: NU Houston
2013 NU - Mich game... NU up 9-6 with under 10 seconds left, Mich 3rd and 23 and no timeouts... the refs make a heroic effort to run in and spot the ball for Mich. Multiple players from Mich are not set and the right Tackle blatantly jumps early. Refs aren't even set, they're backpedaling and not looking at the line. They allow a snap with :01 to tie the game. Total BS. You're a Big Ten football official, do your f*cking job and watch the offensive line.

Total BS:

2013 NU - Mich game... NU up 9-6 with under 10 seconds left, Mich 3rd and 23 and no timeouts... the refs make a heroic effort to run in and spot the ball for Mich. Multiple players from Mich are not set and the right Tackle blatantly jumps early. Refs aren't even set, they're backpedaling and not looking at the line. They allow a snap with :01 to tie the game. Total BS. You're a Big Ten football official, do your f*cking job and watch the offensive line.

Total BS:
All three of those consecutive Michigan losses from 2012-2014 were square kicks to the nuts.

Reactions: Noah121
Taking the 3 points off the scoreboard vs Duke in 2006 and going for a TD when they (Duke) were destined to break the 34 game losing streak.
The incredible frustrating part was that Duke was penalized on the field goal but the penalty was not enough to get a first down and yet ....

The incredible frustrating part was that Duke was penalized on the field goal but the penalty was not enough to get a first down and yet ....
I chalk that one up to growing pains. Really all of 2006.

Most fanbases would call for their coach’s head after a mental fart that likely cost a victory over a “rival”. But we trusted in Fitz and he’s repaid that trust with loyalty so far.

The football gods have been kind to us since his trial-by-fire rookie season for a reason.

Reactions: StreamCat
Come on, at least some of those got back to line of scrimmage -- or maybe +1yd.
The "speed" options for -3 or -4yds, now those were true things of beauty....
To be fair, he had a bit of a reprieve when Venric Mark was our running back. He could just spit through a hole and---gone.

Total BS:
That game was the most magnificent steal in favor of Michigan in Big 10 history. Michigan couldn't lose. Michigan COULD NOT lose to Northwestern. Somehow the refs knew that, and so it happened. I was there, I watched it happen from the 50 yard line. It was pathetic. I will never forgive Michigan and/or the Big 10 for not just admitting they lost. Ever.

Reactions: drewjin

End of regulation field goal (players not set) vs. Michigan (2013)​

Votes: 33.3%

Wow, surprised to see my selection is the top vote getter. As much as we are schooled to not blame a game on the refs, this was one game decided by the refs that definitely merits frustration.

(Glad you avoided the Hawaii referee fiasco where multiple bad calls did us in though - that was on a level higher than frustration, and if I recall correctly it killed our chances to get to a bowl making it even more hair pulling. If HungryJack was watching I suspect those in his household were running all over the place trying to hide all the knives, forks, and other sharp instruments.)

• End of regulation field goal (players not set) vs. Michigan (2013)​

Votes: 18. 20.5%

• Impressive, now with 88 votes in as of June 2nd "End of regulation field goal (players not set) vs. Michigan (2013)" is back in front as the top vote getter having edged out the Nebraska Hail Mary,

Taking the 3 points off the scoreboard vs Duke in 2006 and going for a TD when they (Duke) were destined to break the 34 game losing streak.

Even if we won that Duke game, Duke would have stopped the streak the following year at 32 losses with their 31-7 win over FCS James Madison.

StPaulCat, I do recall watching that UM fg in ‘13 to send it to OT. Horrible.

I think every school can cite an example of UM getting gifts vs them. Check out ‘79 vs IU. UM had no TO’s. Running Back catches the ball center of field. Knows he can’t get out of bounds. Throws ball to sideline To stop clock with 6 ticks left. Should have been a flag for illegally stopping clock. Game over, 21-21 tie. Nope!! One play left and Wangler to Anthony Carter with Ufer’s epic call gives UM a 27-21 win. Granted bad IU/Corso led D, but Ridiculous!!

A well respected coach like Bill Mallory earned his only 1-game suspension of his career post-UM game in ‘91 when he cited numerous blown calls, even a changed call from PI on an uncatchable ball to defensive holding to let the play stand. He would sit out the next wk vs the Badgers.

PSU fans will also talk of UM getting 2 seconds put on the clock vs them in ‘05, I think it was, to allow time for a game winner.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
I was in the stands for when John Elway and Stanford came to Evanston(Can't remember the year). Early in the game, Stanford goes into a 4 wide set. We called a defense that was man-to-man on the receivers with no deep safeties. I started jumping up and down yelling that they were going to throw deep to the outside receiver on the near side. Sure enough, that is exactly what happened and the Stanford WR just ran past our DB for an easy TD.
My dog could have called a better defense than that.......

Didn't we have like 400 yards rushing against BGSUcks in the Motor City Bowl and lose on some late pass to some long haired punk. Likewise late loss to BGSUcks in 2001 after that team collapse late in the year. Resonates with me because I lived in Toledo and the paper was overrun w BGSUcks grads so I got to read about it for years (defeated defending B1G champ NU...)
Also my wife a Toledo grad, so we hate BGSUcks

Didn't we have like 400 yards rushing against BGSUcks in the Motor City Bowl and lose on some late pass to some long haired punk. Likewise late loss to BGSUcks in 2001 after that team collapse late in the year. Resonates with me because I lived in Toledo and the paper was overrun w BGSUcks grads so I got to read about it for years (defeated defending B1G champ NU...)
Also my wife a Toledo grad, so we hate BGSUcks
Before there was Chase Daniel’s mom, there was Cole Magner.

And he came from Alaska.

Before there was Chase Daniel’s mom, there was Cole Magner.

And he came from Alaska.
The thing I remember the most from being at that game, aside from giving up 5-yard flat passes over and over, is that the jumbotron was showing the ESPN feed so I saw that same damn graphic about how far of a distance he traveled from Alaska to get to BGSU. They must've shown it at least 6 times throughout the game.

The thing I remember the most from being at that game, aside from giving up 5-yard flat passes over and over, is that the jumbotron was showing the ESPN feed so I saw that same damn graphic about how far of a distance he traveled from Alaska to get to BGSU. They must've shown it at least 6 times throughout the game.
And yet, not one mention of our own Alaskan Adam Crum. Word on the street is that @Alaskawildkat is still fuming about it 18 years later.

And yet, not one mention of our own Alaskan Adam Crum. Word on the street is that @Alaskawildkat is still fuming about it 18 years later.

To add insult to injury, I believe I have a photo from the local newspaper picturing Cole Manger and my son as they played against each other back in high school, with Cole escaping from my son's attempted tackle.

I vote emphatically for other. The whole saga with the 2006 Michigan State team's 35-point come from behind victory over NU left me devastated and discombobulated.
It crushed me as well, but that game had a major silver lining to it: it signified the end of the disastrous Brewfka era and welcomed CJ Bacher to the fold. Fitz surprised everyone by (finally) giving CJ the start the day before, and the kid from Sacramento came out hot - throwing three tds and giving us a real offense again after seven painful outings.

Reactions: Gladeskat
It crushed me as well, but that game had a major silver lining to it: it signified the end of the disastrous Brewfka era and welcomed CJ Bacher to the fold. Fitz surprised everyone by (finally) giving CJ the start the day before, and the kid from Sacramento came out hot - throwing three tds and giving us a real offense again after seven painful outings.
Bacher was hurt to start that year which is why he didn’t start right away. He was always supposed to be the heir apparent to Baz… Brewfka was just the backup plan while he healed up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT