ADVERTISEMENT

What real data do we have that NU admissions for bball is much different than peers

Last I checked, the value of a Duke degree hasn’t suffered.
i didnt say it would devalue the degree. Just said i dont care to watch non student athletes. At that point, you are following the Seinfeld observation and are simply "rooting for laundry "

I can still remember Art Aaron and Gaddis Rathel coming to class the next morning after an away game the night before in places like Minnesota. I can root for that

well since no one is going to come out and say it from the NU side on why a kid won't be admitted - i think the best example is the fact the CPF and CCC have as long a leash as they do regarding W/L and building programs. if you can't connect the dots

#1 he was/is on the BOT for a long time and wanted to do his part to make NU competitive in athletics. he has fought that battle for many many years

#2 yes - also i hear there is ONE special admissions person (not a committee) and morty can't just say "hey, im letting these kids in"

#3 - why leave when get paid big bucks and its ok to go 5 wins back to back years. heat on fitz this past year? a fraction of what it would be elsewhere. why do you think NU celebrates GPA, APR, and grad rates almost more than it celebrates wins. because it HAS to. because thats the narrative.

#4 because they know FACILITIES play as big a part in the game as anything else. NU has closed the gap there. also lets not forget the selfish aspect to that comes along with these ... aka naming rights?

#5 yes (and he would be B1G commish if had been offered)

#6 you've never taken a job and didn't fully understand an aspect of it even if you thought you did? no inside info here but i could see NU said we'll work with you and CCC was ok good, and then NU is more along the lines of yeah well work with you by letting kids that are still really smart but not NU smart, but not a kid who had a D in high school in.

do you really think MBB and FB wouldn't recruit certain kids and areas HARD (for instance the CPS) for athletes if they could get those kids in? do you think CFP and CCC purposely don't want high level athletes because they don't fit the normal NU profile or they don't want to coach those kids? or do you think its because MOST come from areas where the academic profile or high school support does not position the kid to get into NU. think about how RARE it is to hear about a kid failing out of NU. the issue is not the classwork. the issue is getting kids in.
To 1, 2, 3, and 5 - or maybe it is because all these people (Pat Ryan, Morty and Bienen, Pat Fitz, Phillips) actually believe in maintaining admissions standards to some extent as well. Did that cross your mind?

4- To suggest that Pat Ryan has donated many many millions of dollars for the naming rights is insulting. I do not know the guy at all personally, but like, seriously? I'm not sure there is much street cred in having the football stadium at Northwestern named after you.

I just don't particularly like the narrative that our admissions standards are some evil thing - I honestly like the fact that we are less willing to compromise than others. Now I also don't doubt that there might be 1 or 2 selective cases where admissions made decisions that were wrong or could have been more flexible. But I disagree with the narrative that we should make wholesale changes to our framework. We all know it makes it more difficult to win games, and our willing to accept that - that's why our goals aren't the same as OSU / PSU / Mich in football, or MSU in basketball. But I don't think it prevents us from being competitive in basketball - I would like to see us average .500 or better in conference, and make the NCAAT more than half the time. That's not an unreasonable ask, IMO. Fitz has proven it is possible in football, where you need to recruit a much bigger roster (granted there is a larger population of people who qualify for standards in football (even by %'s, I suspect), but you don't need as many recruiting "wins" to build a roster.

I mostly agree with the OP, but asking for "real, robust data" is sort of a ridiculous red herring. Obviously no one can provide that. There will be plenty of individual anecdotes, but NU and its peer universities aren't about to release that data or release data of individuals (and rightfully so I think).

Reasonable people can disagree, and I certainly do not have the insight into the program that others on here do. (Although I did interview Tex Winter 40 years ago and he complained to me about admissions back then. -:) But the one thing I can't get past is the idea that the President of the University can't go have a talk with the head of admissions and make a reasonable case for reasonable admissions standards for athletes. I just can't get my head around the idea that he is that powerless. And how is he that powerless? Is there some kind of mandate or dictate from the Board of Trustees that the President can't talk to admissions? Maybe there is, I don't know. But that's one area that defies logic.

The other issue I have is that coaches, or supporters of coaches, can always use admissions as a scapegoat, but by all accounts (numbers of offers from other Big Ten schools, star rankings, testimonials of Chris Collins supporters), Collins appears to have been able to recruit more talent than any of his predecessors. And the fact that NU has been in so many close games over the last two years is further testimony that NU has the talent to compete. And yet they can't seem to win games. That is always a red flag for me -- good coaches figure out how to win close games. That, to me, is the definition of a good coach. Not a good recruiter, not a good "program builder" -- but somebody who knows what buttons to push in order to get the W.

It's one reason I don't take much comfort in all the "close loses" and halftime leads lost that seem to lead others to the Cubs' forever motto, "Wait 'Til Next Year."
YES! This exactly. Look at our #'s for players in recruiting under Collins. Trust me - admissions / recruiting is not the problem here.

It is player development and retention (maybe talent evaluation in recruiting), and possibly coaching. I think he's getting better. He's had some ups and downs. I really like CC and think he will continue to grow as a coach. I hope he will be here long-term. But scapegoating admissions for the last couple years and changing that is not the solution, in my opinion.

Possibly it's a gap in recruiting related to the arena rebuild. Also small part of it might be roster composition, which is linked to the whole in recruiting from that. If that is indeed the *issue* (I star it bc obviously it's not just a single thing), then it is transient and hopefully should be fixed going forward - particularly if we can get more positive momentum on the floor next year as this translates back into recruiting.

Reactions: drewjin
To 1, 2, 3, and 5 - or maybe it is because all these people (Pat Ryan, Morty and Bienen, Pat Fitz, Phillips) actually believe in maintaining admissions standards to some extent as well. Did that cross your mind?

4- To suggest that Pat Ryan has donated many many millions of dollars for the naming rights is insulting. I do not know the guy at all personally, but like, seriously? I'm not sure there is much street cred in having the football stadium at Northwestern named after you.

I just don't particularly like the narrative that our admissions standards are some evil thing - I honestly like the fact that we are less willing to compromise than others. Now I also don't doubt that there might be 1 or 2 selective cases where admissions made decisions that were wrong or could have been more flexible. But I disagree with the narrative that we should make wholesale changes to our framework. We all know it makes it more difficult to win games, and our willing to accept that - that's why our goals aren't the same as OSU / PSU / Mich in football, or MSU in basketball. But I don't think it prevents us from being competitive in basketball - I would like to see us average .500 or better in conference, and make the NCAAT more than half the time. That's not an unreasonable ask, IMO. Fitz has proven it is possible in football, where you need to recruit a much bigger roster (granted there is a larger population of people who qualify for standards in football (even by %'s, I suspect), but you don't need as many recruiting "wins" to build a roster.

I mostly agree with the OP, but asking for "real, robust data" is sort of a ridiculous red herring. Obviously no one can provide that. There will be plenty of individual anecdotes, but NU and its peer universities aren't about to release that data or release data of individuals (and rightfully so I think).
Don't think anyone said that NU's Admission Standards are evil, just unrealistic. If they are going to play in a Power 5 Conference then the object should be winning lots of games , not winning only half of them. A little compromise at schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, ND, B.U. and Virginia sure hasn't hurt their ranking as high academic school. Having one or two BB players and a half dozen FB guys where admissions compromised wouldn't hurt NU either. Also seems that the Ryan name is on at least three of NU"s buildings. Just saying.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Revenue sports.

Music and drama profs do have leeway because they’re also recruiting/looking for a very particular skill that isn’t measured well by GPA or standardized testing.
Or their parents/relatives are influential, gift giving alums.

Don't think anyone said that NU's Admission Standards are evil, just unrealistic. If they are going to play in a Power 5 Conference then the object should be winning lots of games , not winning only half of them. A little compromise at schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, ND, B.U. and Virginia sure hasn't hurt their ranking as high academic school. Having one or two BB players and a half dozen FB guys where admissions compromised wouldn't hurt NU either. Also seems that the Ryan name is on at least three of NU"s buildings. Just saying.
I would be very surprised if any part of the negotiation with Pat Ryan on fundraising for arena or facilities projects is oriented around naming rights. I have no knowledge here so certainly could be wrong, but that is just not the impression I get. I suspect it goes something like this:
- Open discussion on order of priorities to decide what is next on the list
- He asks them how much the project costs, or how much different versions of the project would cost (there are always multiple options and cost levels for any project planning session)
- He considers his own donation desires.
- Open discussion / negotiation on how much he will donate himself.
- Reach out to other major downers to see what their available / willingness to contribute
- Pat Ryan says I will contribute X% of this cost.
- Refine the cost proposals. Go back to other major donors.
- Announce project and target fundraise, go out broadly.

But again, I could be wrong.

It's been an issue for years...one example for basketball was Matt Maloney. Vanderbilt transfer who wanted to play for Bill Foster at NU. Admisson was denied and he ended up transferring to Penn! Went on to have a terrific career both at Penn and in the NBA. Poor Foster...that was a tough pill for him and Coach Donlon to swallow.

Absolutely love the example. Coming from a top academic school, denied by NU, accepted by an Ivy.

I would be very surprised if any part of the negotiation with Pat Ryan on fundraising for arena or facilities projects is oriented around naming rights. I have no knowledge here so certainly could be wrong, but that is just not the impression I get. I suspect it goes something like this:
- Open discussion on order of priorities to decide what is next on the list
- He asks them how much the project costs, or how much different versions of the project would cost (there are always multiple options and cost levels for any project planning session)
- He considers his own donation desires.
- Open discussion / negotiation on how much he will donate himself.
- Reach out to other major downers to see what their available / willingness to contribute
- Pat Ryan says I will contribute X% of this cost.
- Refine the cost proposals. Go back to other major donors.
- Announce project and target fundraise, go out broadly.

But again, I could be wrong.

100% - but its also not to say "we need to lower admissions"!

i agree with everything you said.

but i think that with that you have to understand success will be limited in the big ten - and the FB and MBB successful season show it can be done it has to realize that those are outliers

YES! This exactly. Look at our #'s for players in recruiting under Collins. Trust me - admissions / recruiting is not the problem here.

It is player development and retention (maybe talent evaluation in recruiting), and possibly coaching. I think he's getting better. He's had some ups and downs. I really like CC and think he will continue to grow as a coach. I hope he will be here long-term. But scapegoating admissions for the last couple years and changing that is not the solution, in my opinion.

Possibly it's a gap in recruiting related to the arena rebuild. Also small part of it might be roster composition, which is linked to the whole in recruiting from that. If that is indeed the *issue* (I star it bc obviously it's not just a single thing), then it is transient and hopefully should be fixed going forward - particularly if we can get more positive momentum on the floor next year as this translates back into recruiting.

Collins also supposedly had more higher-rated guys ready to commit in that class only to have admissions deliver surprise declines.

Would have to defer to @haywood jahblowme on specific names, but believe at least the 2019 Lead Guard who ended up at Rutgers.

i agree with everything you said.

but i think that with that you have to understand success will be limited in the big ten - and the FB and MBB successful season show it can be done it has to realize that those are outliers
To be clear, I'm on board with tweaking at the margin, and allowing a bit more flexibility with 1-2 players per year that may be below current standard but we still think are bright enough to manage the course load in addition to their athletics responsibilities. It's hard to say with confidence what the line should be bc obviously I don't really know where the line is now (so me speculating on exactly what or where would just be unsupported bloviating). I'm just strongly against a wholesale change in the admissions approach, ie going to the Duke philosophy.

(and sorry this is kind of beating a dead horse, I'll stop saying it after this time- but unless NU admissions is doing something different than what they have historically / what they told CC going on, I don't think it should be an *excuse* for our current lack of success. Even taking the challenges into account 4-16 last year and likely similar this year is below expectations. I don't think it is at all to the point where we should consider making a change, still fully behind CC at this point (prob not if this persists ~2 more years), but I think the recent stretch has been disappointing even taking into account the admitted constraints)

Reactions: drewjin
Collins also supposedly had more higher-rated guys ready to commit in that class only to have admissions deliver surprise declines.

Would have to defer to @haywood jahblowme on specific names, but believe at least the 2019 Lead Guard who ended up at Rutgers.
But my point is that we have gotten a decent number of highly rated guys to commit. Some are still on our roster. It hasn't translated to success on the floor last two years. I don't think recruiting is the primary issue.

Also, what seems absolutely GLARING to me is that there needs to be better and earlier communication between CC and Admissions if there are this many guys that are "ready to commit" but don't clear admissions. He needs to figure out earlier whether these guys will qualify so the staff isn't wasting time on guys that they can't get in the door anyways. Because it must take a lot of time and effort to get to the point where a guy is "ready to commit". Maybe this is on Admissions for not being consistent or not giving good guidance fast enough, I don't know. But the communication needs to improve and that needs to happen earlier in the process.

Reasonable people can disagree, and I certainly do not have the insight into the program that others on here do. (Although I did interview Tex Winter 40 years ago and he complained to me about admissions back then. -:) But the one thing I can't get past is the idea that the President of the University can't go have a talk with the head of admissions and make a reasonable case for reasonable admissions standards for athletes. I just can't get my head around the idea that he is that powerless. And how is he that powerless? Is there some kind of mandate or dictate from the Board of Trustees that the President can't talk to admissions? Maybe there is, I don't know. But that's one area that defies logic.

The other issue I have is that coaches, or supporters of coaches, can always use admissions as a scapegoat, but by all accounts (numbers of offers from other Big Ten schools, star rankings, testimonials of Chris Collins supporters), Collins appears to have been able to recruit more talent than any of his predecessors. And the fact that NU has been in so many close games over the last two years is further testimony that NU has the talent to compete. And yet they can't seem to win games. That is always a red flag for me -- good coaches figure out how to win close games. That, to me, is the definition of a good coach. Not a good recruiter, not a good "program builder" -- but somebody who knows what buttons to push in order to get the W.

It's one reason I don't take much comfort in all the "close loses" and halftime leads lost that seem to lead others to the Cubs' forever motto, "Wait 'Til Next Year."
It is not just about bringing in one or two good players. It is about being to put together enough of the right pieces at the right time. We have long shown that we can recruit descent wings. But we have always had problems recruiting guards (especially PGs) And also to some extent true PFs as well. It stretches far beyond CCC and was true under BC and even before. CCC has continued to be able to recruit Wings. He has tried to address the guard position by trying tweeners such as Vassar and Brown but it did not really work. But now after a couple start and stall issues such as Lathon and Bamisle, he seems to be getting a handle on the position. You need the complete team to really compete and to win instead of lose those close games. I see us in a better position going forward than any time in the past

It is not just about bringing in one or two good players. It is about being to put together enough of the right pieces at the right time. We have long shown that we can recruit descent wings. But we have always had problems recruiting guards (especially PGs) And also to some extent true PFs as well. It stretches far beyond CCC and was true under BC and even before. CCC has continued to be able to recruit Wings. He has tried to address the guard position by trying tweeners such as Vassar and Brown but it did not really work. But now after a couple start and stall issues such as Lathon and Bamisle, he seems to be getting a handle on the position. You need the complete team to really compete and to win instead of lose those close games. I see us in a better position going forward than any time in the past

Exactly right. As it stands, 2021 is WIDE OPEN for Baldwin or Christie to slide into the starting 5 with 4 other veterans. And if that fails, then some other highly rated off-guard looking for immediate playing time.

La

Last I saw numbers the average revenue athlete’s board scores were about 400 pts lower than the rest of the student body. Should we lower the standard to “can you spell your name?”
No. Just to the level of "Can you spell your name backwards"

La

Last I saw numbers the average revenue athlete’s board scores were about 400 pts lower than the rest of the student body. Should we lower the standard to “can you spell your name?”
And that was still 500 points higher than our competitors

But my point is that we have gotten a decent number of highly rated guys to commit. Some are still on our roster. It hasn't translated to success on the floor last two years. I don't think recruiting is the primary issue.

Also, what seems absolutely GLARING to me is that there needs to be better and earlier communication between CC and Admissions if there are this many guys that are "ready to commit" but don't clear admissions. He needs to figure out earlier whether these guys will qualify so the staff isn't wasting time on guys that they can't get in the door anyways. Because it must take a lot of time and effort to get to the point where a guy is "ready to commit". Maybe this is on Admissions for not being consistent or not giving good guidance fast enough, I don't know. But the communication needs to improve and that needs to happen earlier in the process.
or just maybe Admissions needs to allow a few borderline kids into school.

No, but the standard is appreciably higher than NCAA minimums and that is a difficulty for NU. I’m not sure folks around here appreciate just low low the bar is for NCAA qualification. It’s laughably lax.

That’s especially true because there are no “hard and fast” rules (ie a kid gets in with at least a 1000 SAT if he has a 3.3 core GPA, etc.). Every kid is a “case by case” basis, so there’s always some grey area. The issues arise when admissions delivers a surprise decline.

I’ve long felt that coaches should have however much “room” they want so long as the team’s academic performance remains satisfactory.
I would say they should have latitude until they start bringing in guys who cannot get through

Then fire the President or the AD or whoever. We don’t ever have people flunk out. I don’t remember any from my years and not for a lack of effort.

So if the school wants to compete, wants to impose various donation requirements, wants to be taken seriously - then make a change. Make a change somewhere.

I cannot see the amount of money that Ryan throws around to not be able to make a change in policy. Maybe blame Ryan for not using his money more as a sword.
We had a FB starting center (was it King) that had to leave and go to Jr College or something for a year or so to get his grades back in order and then he came back to NU to finish and play his final couple years

To be clear, I'm on board with tweaking at the margin, and allowing a bit more flexibility with 1-2 players per year that may be below current standard but we still think are bright enough to manage the course load in addition to their athletics responsibilities. It's hard to say with confidence what the line should be bc obviously I don't really know where the line is now (so me speculating on exactly what or where would just be unsupported bloviating). I'm just strongly against a wholesale change in the admissions approach, ie going to the Duke philosophy.

(and sorry this is kind of beating a dead horse, I'll stop saying it after this time- but unless NU admissions is doing something different than what they have historically / what they told CC going on, I don't think it should be an *excuse* for our current lack of success. Even taking the challenges into account 4-16 last year and likely similar this year is below expectations. I don't think it is at all to the point where we should consider making a change, still fully behind CC at this point (prob not if this persists ~2 more years), but I think the recent stretch has been disappointing even taking into account the admitted constraints)
He was a first time HC and he got somewhat lucky early. But the problem with NU has always been more about the PG position than anything. We have generally been able to bring in descent wings but the guard positions, especially PG have been a problem. And without a solid PG, you are not going to win. I would guess that you would find that the average high level PG recruit tends to have lower scores than other positions (sort of like WR or DB in FB). Take a look at the top PGs around the conference and tell me how many could get through NU admissions. My guess is not many. So for the most important position on the floor, we have a very small pool to draw from. Then bad luck (injuries, issues with Lathon etc took their toll. And you end up with what we have seen the last couple years. Good news is that it looks like we are resolving that issue with guys coming in.

No, but the standard is appreciably higher than NCAA minimums and that is a difficulty for NU. I’m not sure folks around here appreciate just low low the bar is for NCAA qualification. It’s laughably lax.

That’s especially true because there are no “hard and fast” rules (ie a kid gets in with at least a 1000 SAT if he has a 3.3 core GPA, etc.). Every kid is a “case by case” basis, so there’s always some grey area. The issues arise when admissions delivers a surprise decline.

I’ve long felt that coaches should have however much “room” they want so long as the team’s academic performance remains satisfactory.
Similar but you said remains satisfactory which leave open interpretation. To some, it is being able to have a 3.o average. I was just clarifying the level of what satisfactory means to me

At that point, you are following the Seinfeld observation and are simply "rooting for laundry”

Yes, actually. That’s exactly what I’m doing. I root for the name on the front of the jersey. It’s why I don’t get upset when players quit or transfer. I want them all to do well; but players come and go. So do coaches. But fans remain.

(Incidentally, there’s another piece of fabric I’d happily root for — a championship banner.)

Yes, actually. That’s exactly what I’m doing. I root for the name on the front of the jersey. It’s why I don’t get upset when players quit or transfer. I want them all to do well; but players come and go. So do coaches. But fans remain.

(Incidentally, there’s another piece of fabric I’d happily root for — a championship banner.)
Are you a NU grad? I notice a slight ( maybe not so slight) variance on this topic between grads and non-grads. I think non-grads predominantly want latitude to get close to a level playing field within reason. Some Grads seem to be open to a case by case exceptions but generally do not want to become Duke. Let’s face it, the fan support, BMOC vibe, winning history doesn’t exactly make NU an easy sell for CCC. Even If admissions are relaxed, CCC has his work cut out for him.

I disagree with some that have claimed NU has had a competitive program for the last 20 years. We have had a couple years of real competitiveness, not an extended run. NU has only gone to the tourney ONE time. One! I believe we will have the most talent on the roster in two years NU has ever had. Still, this puts NU in lower half of the B1G. How do you expect to be in the tourney 50% of the time when your talent is bottom half in the conference. Great talent for NU, poor talent for MSU and even Indiana, Maryland, Michigan etc. If the standards are not at least somewhat relaxed, I don’t believe an expectation for a 50% tourney run will come to fruition unless CCC pulls a unicorn recruit like PBJ or The Wizard Of Westwood is reincarnated to take over the helm.

Are you a NU grad?

Yup. Undergrad and grad school. And a diehard since I stepped foot on campus over 20 years ago. (I’ve also been on this board since before they started keeping the date.) I have zero problems with admissions letting basketball get liberal with recruiting. It’s not like we’d sign five partial qualifying one-and-doners every year, but it’d be nice to know we have the option to.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I have to disagree with the idea that NU’s problem has traditionally been at PG. that seems like recent bias to me. How many years did we lament the lack of a true center on the team? Seems to me it was that short period between Esch and Olah, and there were lots of questions about Olah as well.

it seems more as some posters have put forward the problem being our ability to have all of the pieces together at the same time.

I’m personally fine with keeping high standards and having actual student athletes. I see better comms between CC and admissions as important if he is putting effort into recruits they won’t accept. That seems like time better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: ricko654321
He was a first time HC and he got somewhat lucky early. But the problem with NU has always been more about the PG position than anything. We have generally been able to bring in descent wings but the guard positions, especially PG have been a problem. And without a solid PG, you are not going to win. I would guess that you would find that the average high level PG recruit tends to have lower scores than other positions (sort of like WR or DB in FB). Take a look at the top PGs around the conference and tell me how many could get through NU admissions. My guess is not many. So for the most important position on the floor, we have a very small pool to draw from. Then bad luck (injuries, issues with Lathon etc took their toll. And you end up with what we have seen the last couple years. Good news is that it looks like we are resolving that issue with guys coming in.
Solution, ease up on admissions.

I have to disagree with the idea that NU’s problem has traditionally been at PG. that seems like recent bias to me. How many years did we lament the lack of a true center on the team? Seems to me it was that short period between Esch and Olah, and there were lots of questions about Olah as well.

it seems more as some posters have put forward the problem being our ability to have all of the pieces together at the same time.

I’m personally fine with keeping high standards and having actual student athletes. I see better comms between CC and admissions as important if he is putting effort into recruits they won’t accept. That seems like time better spent elsewhere.
Unless Collins can get a few of the kids in , that admissions blocks he will eventually leave and no good coach will want the job.

Unless Collins can get a few of the kids in , that admissions blocks he will eventually leave and no good coach will want the job.
Possibly. I think unless he starts building more competitive teams and having winning seasons, he will leave. Or be asked to leave. It will probably be mutual and sad if/when it happens. But I think he is ultra competitive and he won’t want to leave until he feels successful or completely defeated.

And while I agree that is related to admissions, he has shown victory can be achieved even with those constraints, so there is more to this than just admissions.

I like Collins and want him to have success for him as much as for his team, the school, the fans, etc. I think he has the base of players he needs to succeed and if he plays his scholarships right (and has a lot of non-traditional luck with injuries), he may be able to move the team towards a more than ‘rebuild every four years’ kind of team.

I expected this year to be so much worse than it has been so far in terms of players and development - the win/loss record reflects my fears of course. I’ve been concerned since the post tourney season collapse that too much of our success was due to the work of the staff that left.

But even if that was true, Collins seems to be improving his own game and that’s good news. As others have said, he seems to be learning how to be a head coach beyond just recruiting, and we definitely need that.

I honestly expect a solid winning season next year, with something approaching 8 or 9 B1G wins and a possible post season invite - NITish. Baring major injuries, that doesn’t seem unreasonable at this point - check back at the end of February.

Reactions: ricko654321
I learned a long time ago the lowering-standards-to-Duke discussion is a no-win with so many in the NU culture. Some people say they want something different, but they don't. They have no problem insanely banging their heads decade after decade, trying to thread that needle of perfect academics and consistently strong athletics. So be it.

But as these discussions drag on year after year, imagine what these discussions are like in NU board rooms that matter. Here, we're actual fans, and there's still a strong split on this idea. Imagine how this discussion continues outside the silliness of message boards and the athletic department. I have no doubt there's a strong contingent of people who barely care about the teams (probably more than most B10 universities) ... some professors, some board of trustees, a pretty indifferent student body, the ONE GUY in admissions, some who have a belief in what NU "should be" or its "tradition" (ie, forget any new ideas).

We see it out here all the time. It's a strong part of NU culture. So I can only imagine how pervasive it is in meetings that matter.

It's a true institutional challenge, and not some throw-away excuse that can be solved with a snap of the fingers.

My guess is that while there are a lot of traditionalists here, you'd find that the percentage is way lower than within the NU overall community. This is a board composed of enthusiastic NU athletics people after all.

It feels elitist enough to bother me.

It feels elitist enough to bother me.

To me, the “we might be losing but at least we’re doing it the right way” argument is no different than jangling your keys so the opposing fans can park your car, or chanting “that’s alright, that’s okay, you’re gonna work for us some day.” They’re all elitist excuses. There are no points for participation. You either make every effort to win, or you drop to D-II.

To me, the “we might be losing but at least we’re doing it the right way” argument is no different than jangling your keys so the opposing fans can park your car, or chanting “that’s alright, that’s okay, you’re gonna work for us some day.” They’re all elitist excuses. There are no points for participation. You either make every effort to win, or you drop to D-II.
Or you root for another team. If just winning is your goal, you can always become a Duke or Kentucky fan.

Yeah I'm with you on this - I don't think there is any position (PG, wing, forward, center) that is particularly hard to recruit with higher admissions standards. They all are tougher than if you have baseline NCAA admissions standards. It's just that (as you precisely note) it is more difficult to put it all together at the same time.

Shorter-term issues at individual positions are driven by the small sample size issue inherent in CBB.

(Though in football I think we do consistently have more success / failure at certain positions - this might be part driven by available talent with our academic restrictions, but I suspect it is more driven by the perceived quality of the position coaches at those areas.)

((Also, +++ to your point on better communications. That echoes what I said earlier and seems to be the easiest "fix" - CC and staff should not be spending time on players that aren't going to get in and they need to address it early on in the process))

We also haven’t done any of that for about 20 years now.

Solution, ease up on admissions.
I never said not to. Just pointing out the difficulty we have had recruiting the position. Typically we have not had more than one viable PG in the system at a time. How would we have done during the four NIT years if we had not had Michael Thompson or if he had gotten injured? Now consider that two years ago BM got injured just before BIG season really got underway. Last year we had no viable PG after the Lathon issue. (Greer was a reasonable pickup but was not ready for the posiiton) and this year where we were starting to develop on and got sidelined because of injury and you see why we are where we are. Fortunately going forward, we are in better position than we have been for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT