ADVERTISEMENT

What real data do we have that NU admissions for bball is much different than peers

I have to disagree with the idea that NU’s problem has traditionally been at PG. that seems like recent bias to me. How many years did we lament the lack of a true center on the team? Seems to me it was that short period between Esch and Olah, and there were lots of questions about Olah as well.

it seems more as some posters have put forward the problem being our ability to have all of the pieces together at the same time.

I’m personally fine with keeping high standards and having actual student athletes. I see better comms between CC and admissions as important if he is putting effort into recruits they won’t accept. That seems like time better spent elsewhere.
We have always had problems at the PG position. The only time I can really recall having two viable ones at one time was BMac and Sobo so we have generally been one injury away. We have had centers, Although the way that qwe used them under BC was a bit different which caused issues. We have had problems at the PF position as we had Hardy and no one till Skelly. But with a PG we could still make things interesting. Without one difficult to do that.

Basically, CCC has shown an ability to develop centers (James) and recruit same (Pardon, Benson, Young, Nicholes and even Jones though I see him as much as a PF as a C. Wings as well. But his issues have mostly occurred at the guard (especially PG) position. And in college BB, you don't go anywhere without good guard play

This isn’t true at all. Key jangling is still a thing. Or at least it was a year ago, when I last went to a game.
I thought it used to be about key plays.

Last edited:
Possibly. I think unless he starts building more competitive teams and having winning seasons, he will leave. Or be asked to leave. It will probably be mutual and sad if/when it happens. But I think he is ultra competitive and he won’t want to leave until he feels successful or completely defeated.

And while I agree that is related to admissions, he has shown victory can be achieved even with those constraints, so there is more to this than just admissions.

I like Collins and want him to have success for him as much as for his team, the school, the fans, etc. I think he has the base of players he needs to succeed and if he plays his scholarships right (and has a lot of non-traditional luck with injuries), he may be able to move the team towards a more than ‘rebuild every four years’ kind of team.

I expected this year to be so much worse than it has been so far in terms of players and development - the win/loss record reflects my fears of course. I’ve been concerned since the post tourney season collapse that too much of our success was due to the work of the staff that left.

But even if that was true, Collins seems to be improving his own game and that’s good news. As others have said, he seems to be learning how to be a head coach beyond just recruiting, and we definitely need that.

I honestly expect a solid winning season next year, with something approaching 8 or 9 B1G wins and a possible post season invite - NITish. Baring major injuries, that doesn’t seem unreasonable at this point - check back at the end of February.
Do you want regular success or an normally uncompetitive team with an occasional one off? Hard to build that competitive team on any regular basis with admissions as it has been.

I'd agree with that. And we've probably developed a belief that every PG we get should be as good as BMac or Juice.
Honestly we need someone at that level to be successful. And if you look at even then, not like they were top guys in the conference. They were solid but they were basically midpoint in conference ranking. Anywhere else, they would not get the minutes as Frosh and Sophs that they got here. So by thee time they were upper class men, they were solid. They got those Frosh/Soph minutes because we did not have anyone better when they got here. They were great for us but there were always a number of better PGs in conference. Sorry but PG is a position we have been challenged in recruiting for as long as I can remember.

ADVERTISEMENT