ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect if Marty is (and stays) healthy

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Marty’s performance Saturday was a real pick me up. He has been, as multiple posters have pointed out, a gamer, and in each game he has played he has made a significant contribution. It’s easy to succumb to euphoria and see him as a savior for the season. I think it is probably a good idea to calibrate expectations, and try to assess what he might do the rest of the year.

On a limited sample size, he contributes by being a physical runner, and a passer with a fairly strong but not spectacularly accurate arm. His passing numbers have been great, but the Duke and Illinois defensive backfields were not great, and Minnesota was playing a little soft with a big lead when he came in. My guess is he is a good enough passer to keep defenses honest, but he might have consistency issues on intermediate balls and throw a few more interceptions than the norm.

To me, he seems to be a lot like Adrian Martinez, and the defenses Martinez has succeeded and failed against, Marty will do similarly. We could do worse, but I am expecting his performance to come back to earth a little as the defenses he plays get tighter. I hope the OL gets its act together and the defense plays with positive consistency: with Marty, that combination could lead to some good wins the rest of the year.

Marty’s performance Saturday was a real pick me up. He has been, as multiple posters have pointed out, a gamer, and in each game he has played he has made a significant contribution. It’s easy to succumb to euphoria and see him as a savior for the season. I think it is probably a good idea to calibrate expectations, and try to assess what he might do the rest of the year.

On a limited sample size, he contributes by being a physical runner, and a passer with a fairly strong but not spectacularly accurate arm. His passing numbers have been great, but the Duke and Illinois defensive backfields were not great, and Minnesota was playing a little soft with a big lead when he came in. My guess is he is a good enough passer to keep defenses honest, but he might have consistency issues on intermediate balls and throw a few more interceptions than the norm.

To me, he seems to be a lot like Adrian Martinez, and the defenses Martinez has succeeded and failed against, Marty will do similarly. We could do worse, but I am expecting his performance to come back to earth a little as the defenses he plays get tighter. I hope the OL gets its act together and the defense plays with positive consistency: with Marty, that combination could lead to some good wins the rest of the year.
He's obviously not invulnerable, but his attitude about pressure seems to be "bring it". He's a big, tough guy. You won't see a lot of that run for your life, back foot stuff. But as the OP says the "Stays healthy" part is the big ?? Colter broke down but Marty is way bigger.

A few weeks ago I was walking down the street in downtown Cincinnati with my wife, and I was wearing a Northwestern shirt. This guy rolls down his window and said "Northwestern huh? Andrew Marty!" I realize Marty is from Cincinnati, but it was just so funny to me that a random person in a car would yell out our backup QB. Maybe that guy knew something I didn't.

A few weeks ago I was walking down the street in downtown Cincinnati with my wife, and I was wearing a Northwestern shirt. This guy rolls down his window and said "Northwestern huh? Andrew Marty!" I realize Marty is from Cincinnati, but it was just so funny to me that a random person in a car would yell out our backup QB. Maybe that guy knew something I didn't.
It was his Dad.

He’s big, he’s not too slow and he’s willing to run. That’s hard to stop. Like when he takes off he’s usually good for 4-5 yards.

not great if you’re a potent offense. When the alternative is ineptitude, it looks pretty good

And to tack on to the above comment. We haven’t had a great running QB in a long time. Kafka, Persa, Colter could all tuck in and run well.

miss that, sets a floor for an offense

Reactions: techtim72
Thorson, pre-ACL, was pretty darn quick. See the Stanford game he won with a QB run......not a "great" running QB but not a stiff either.

Thorson was fast in a straight line, he was not quick and did not move well literally. In order to be a true dual threat QB you need to be quick more so than fast and you need to be quick laterally and vertically.

This doesn't surprise me.

I am friends with a D3 head coach here in Ohio that has several ETHS players. There are quite a few ETHS parents and former teammates who know exactly how these guys are doing.

Cincinnati is a metro area plugged into its' High School football. I guarantee you there are a lot of Wyoming High teammates, fans and parents who keep an eye on Marty's NU career.

Big Ten West Division Title if Marty is healthy

Reactions: mountaindrew
During the dismal 2019 season, NU had scored 7, 10, 15, 10, 3, 0 points in the six games we played against teams other than UNLV. Hunter Johnson had flamed out spectacularly and Aidan Smith wasn't doing much as the new starter.

In our 6th Big Ten game, we were getting buried by Indiana 35-3. Johnson and Smith are a combined 12 of 29 for 112. With 6 minutes left, we got the ball on our 4 yard line. Fitz sends untested sophomore Andy Marty into the game. After two short gains on running plays, we face 3rd and 6 from our 8 yard line. Marty drops back to pass. Under pressure he rolls to his right in the end zone. He sees his receiver is not open and motions for the guy to get off the sideline and go deep. He chucks it deep to the same receiver who has now gotten behind the coverage. The likely 92 yard touchdown pass sails just beyond the receiver's reach, falling incomplete near midfield.

The confidence and awareness Marty showed on that one play made him stand out compared to the two guys ahead of him at QB in 2019. He should have started the rest of the games that year. When he did play, he played well.

And to tack on to the above comment. We haven’t had a great running QB in a long time. Kafka, Persa, Colter could all tuck in and run well.

miss that, sets a floor for an offense
Peyton Ramsey did quite a bit with his feet. I'd put him on the same general tier as Kafka and Persa for that skill. Colter is the ONLY true running QB that NU has had that I can recall since I started watching in 1993.

Kustok was ok too...

Reactions: No Chores
Peyton Ramsey did quite a bit with his feet. I'd put him on the same general tier as Kafka and Persa for that skill. Colter is the ONLY true running QB that NU has had that I can recall since I started watching in 1993.

Kustok was ok too...
Kustok was a terrific runner, and the best I’ve ever seen at disguising a handoff/rpo.

Kustok was ok too...

Persa NOT a true running QB? Not with you there. To me he was a born running back who was also a highly skilled QB. I consider Kustok a tier below Persa - also very skilled and natural runner, but just not as gifted, not a WOW runner like Persa (and Colter).

Ramsey? A resourceful, very good runner - just not a talented, natural like Persa and Kustok. Just my two cents.

Persa NOT a true running QB? Not with you there. To me he was a born running back who was also a highly skilled QB. I consider Kustok a tier below Persa - also very skilled and natural runner, but just not as gifted, not a WOW runner like Persa (and Colter).

Ramsey? A resourceful, very good runner - just not a talented, natural like Persa and Kustok. Just my two cents.
Yes, Persa for sure. Anybody know how tall he is?

Reactions: StreamCat

Perhaps I've forgotten Persa a bit. What I remember was the unbelievable completion %. He was unreal with his decisions and accuracy.

Last edited:
From when I met him in street clothes: probably 5’11 and a half. But who cares. It’s the not size of the dog in the fight…
There were endless and pointless discussions back in the day as to his exact height, as if the size of the dog in the fight was the only thing that mattered.

Was the Homecoming loss to MSU after blowing a mid-3rd Quarter 38-3 lead the fault of the offense, or the defense?

Thorson was an old-school mobile quarterback. He had a knack for finding gaps while scrambling, but just didn’t have a knack for designed runs or option plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT