ADVERTISEMENT

What up with the early 'donations' for next year????

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Sorta disappointed that I had to place down another big donation for next year's tickets at such an early date. Hell, we just started this year and I already had to burn a check for next year.

I did but I just think it is a bit unreasonable to do so at such an early date. And to be sure, NU is only doing what others do. Some programs need 2 year commitments, etc. Sucks but what are your thoughts?

Sorta disappointed that I had to place down another big donation for next year's tickets at such an early date. Hell, we just started this year and I already had to burn a check for next year.

I did but I just think it is a bit unreasonable to do so at such an early date. And to be sure, NU is only doing what others do. Some programs need 2 year commitments, etc. Sucks but what are your thoughts?
I gave up my season tickets because of the donations. My family had been sitting four rows behind the visiting bench for the last 20 years, and suddenly we were being asked to pay $5000 for the privilege of sitting there, even though the team was clearly struggling to attract new fans. I get that there were season tickets that didn't require a donation, but it felt insulting for NU to suggest that we move to nosebleed seats when we had been proud, vocal, and dedicated fans for the team during some of our worst years. I'm obviously not sure who ended up with those tickets in row 4, but I hope they attend every game, stand during important moments, and make noise, because that's what NU had in those seats before the renovation.

I've made my position clear whenever threads like this pop up, and I think some posters take issue with my stance. The arena renovations needed to happen, and I'm thrilled with the results of the renovations. The renovations were funded privately and didn't break the bank for the university. And I think the arena is top-notch and will help the program improve. But I look around the new arena and still see the seats in the lower level 1/2 full with NU fans. The empty seats in the lower level are owned by "fans" who could afford the donations, who will show up to 1/2 of our games, who'll sit through the entire game without making noise, and who'll sell their tickets to visiting fans when it's profitable.

I just don't get why we asked for "donations" now when we finally have some momentum for the program. We should be focused on filling all of our seats with new, dedicated, and energetic fans. Instead, I think the constant requests for donations will only drive dedicated fans away, and we'll see many more games NU faithful filling 50% of the arena.

There is an up feeling now with the new building and young team. A few losses will break that momentum.
Strike while the iron is hot.

I gave up my season tickets because of the donations. My family had been sitting four rows behind the visiting bench for the last 20 years, and suddenly we were being asked to pay $5000 for the privilege of sitting there, even though the team was clearly struggling to attract new fans. I get that there were season tickets that didn't require a donation, but it felt insulting for NU to suggest that we move to nosebleed seats when we had been proud, vocal, and dedicated fans for the team during some of our worst years. I'm obviously not sure who ended up with those tickets in row 4, but I hope they attend every game, stand during important moments, and make noise, because that's what NU had in those seats before the renovation.

I've made my position clear whenever threads like this pop up, and I think some posters take issue with my stance. The arena renovations needed to happen, and I'm thrilled with the results of the renovations. The renovations were funded privately and didn't break the bank for the university. And I think the arena is top-notch and will help the program improve. But I look around the new arena and still see the seats in the lower level 1/2 full with NU fans. The empty seats in the lower level are owned by "fans" who could afford the donations, who will show up to 1/2 of our games, who'll sit through the entire game without making noise, and who'll sell their tickets to visiting fans when it's profitable.

I just don't get why we asked for "donations" now when we finally have some momentum for the program. We should be focused on filling all of our seats with new, dedicated, and energetic fans. Instead, I think the constant requests for donations will only drive dedicated fans away, and we'll see many more games NU faithful filling 50% of the arena.
Agree with just about everything you have said and I'm equating this to the blowing off of long time fans to losing their parking spots in the west lot. Had a parking spot and donated between $300 and $600 since 1995. Will likely give up my ST's next season buy a few games off of the secondary market and take the train.

Reactions: julescat
Agree with just about everything you have said and I'm equating this to the blowing off of long time fans to losing their parking spots in the west lot. Had a parking spot and donated between $300 and $600 since 1995. Will likely give up my ST's next season buy a few games off of the secondary market and take the train.
If you had donated that much for that long you likely should have had enough points with a $600 donation for this year

Reactions: its_the_sauce
Was this just for Wilson Club/courtside seats? I'm just in the bowl and haven't heard anything (yet).

I don’t think I have seen any notification of the donation for this next year. maybe thy are just hoping to throw Turk out. I heard he was the screamer

I don’t think I have seen any notification of the donation for this next year. maybe thy are just hoping to throw Turk out. I heard he was the screamer

There was an "I Will" mailing this last week, but that is a general reminder for people of the upcoming close of their tax years for a current year tax deduction. Don't think it had anything to do with athletics, per se.

If you had donated that much for that long you likely should have had enough points with a $600 donation for this year
Nope. Two years ago I made a another $600 donation and was denied a west or east lot pass. Some others have had similar experiences. So I'm through.

Nope. Two years ago I made a another $600 donation and was denied a west or east lot pass. Some others have had similar experiences. So I'm through.
Had you missed years for the continuous giving? Just seems strange in that with their point system donations over time are now much more favored. Supposedly West lot this year was in the 800-900 point range (with a $600 donation for this year). With that type of giving you should have been well over that. I was 600 so I was short but with that kind of giving over time, I can't see how you were short.

There was an "I Will" mailing this last week, but that is a general reminder for people of the upcoming close of their tax years for a current year tax deduction. Don't think it had anything to do with athletics, per se.
But it is no longer deductible if required for seats with the passage of the new tax law

But it is no longer deductible if required for seats with the passage of the new tax law
True, but I think the "I Will" solicitation was not directed at athletic donations, unless that is all you did.

BTW - Are you a basketball STH?

Had you missed years for the continuous giving? Just seems strange in that with their point system donations over time are now much more favored. Supposedly West lot this year was in the 800-900 point range (with a $600 donation for this year). With that type of giving you should have been well over that. I was 600 so I was short but with that kind of giving over time, I can't see how you were short.
Nope.

True, but I think the "I Will" solicitation was not directed at athletic donations, unless that is all you did.

BTW - Are you a basketball STH?
Yes. Started bout 3 years ago for BB. (FB over 20 years) For this year I gave a $600 rather than my normal $100) donation but partly because it it performed triple duty. It allowed me to pick earlier, get a corner seat and qualify me for W lot for FB (it did not get W lot) I am looking for other areas in the stadium to see if other areas offer better overall value for the future. .

Did you check your points? I think I heard the cutoff for west lot was about 850 with $600 donation. I would guess it might drop or get more reasonable next year. This year people came out of the woodwork and at least some will disappear. For example I upped to 6 ST which got me two spaces (S G L) but likely will go back to two and one space next year.

One of the real issues is that when they redid the W Lot, they had to meet all the new codes. Just look at the Handicapped parking spaces. Overall with aisle requirements, drainage, etc, they may have lost as many as 35-40% of the available spaces. Goes with my statement to the people complaining about the potholes cautioning them to be careful of what they wish for. That meant that a few hundred W lot parking spaces disappeared leading to a lot of people (including me) evicted. Similar will happen when they update the East lot but it has far fewer spaces so the effect will not be as dramatic.

Did you check your points? I think I heard the cutoff for west lot was about 850 with $600 donation. I would guess it might drop or get more reasonable next year. This year people came out of the woodwork and at least some will disappear. For example I upped to 6 ST which got me two spaces (S G L) but likely will go back to two and one space next year.

One of the real issues is that when they redid the W Lot, they had to meet all the new codes. Just look at the Handicapped parking spaces. Overall with aisle requirements, drainage, etc, they may have lost as many as 35-40% of the available spaces. Goes with my statement to the people complaining about the potholes cautioning them to be careful of what they wish for. That meant that a few hundred W lot parking spaces disappeared leading to a lot of people (including me) evicted. Similar will happen when they update the East lot but it has far fewer spaces so the effect will not be as dramatic.
Do they still allow parking on parts of the baseball field? If not, why not? Also make parking available on the old , no longer needed practice, football field and the softball diamond. If need, then relocate the softball field elsewhere.

Do they still allow parking on parts of the baseball field? If not, why not? Also make parking available on the old , no longer needed practice, football field and the softball diamond. If need, then relocate the softball field elsewhere.
Sorry but I do not see them doing that (relocating softball field) for parking for a couple FB games a year.

Yes. Started bout 3 years ago for BB. (FB over 20 years) For this year I gave a $600 rather than my normal $100) donation but partly because it it performed triple duty. It allowed me to pick earlier, get a corner seat and qualify me for W lot for FB (it did not get W lot) I am looking for other areas in the stadium to see if other areas offer better overall value for the future. .

For a unique view, come up to Section 205, Row 1. I'd like to meet you.

Because it would be illegal to send an intern (Vassar) out there to pour the asphalt fixer in a hole...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT