ADVERTISEMENT

What you need to know about Tennessee fans

As most of you know, I make my home in Tennessee. For the next few weeks, you are about to enter my nightmare. Some recommendations and things you should know about interacting with UT fans is as follows:

1. Most UT fans did not attend the university. An amazing number have never even been there. But they consider themselves rabid diehard fans. Until the team loses two games in a row. Then they turn on the coaches, the school, the team, and the individual players. Take the worst of the posters on this board, make it worse by a factor of 10, and then multiply by thousands of fans.
2. Like many similar teams with schools attached, these fans tend to be the ones that say boys-will-be-boys when player arrests become rampant - no matter what the charge. And get mad at the university for suspending players and would storm the gates if a star player were kicked off the team for being convicted of a major crime. Ask them about APR and they will look quizzically at you. Once you explain what it is, they will tell you that such things are for sissy schools.
3. If a Tennessee fan posts anything about "team speed," go ahead and put them on ignore. That is the mantra of the uneducated SEC fan. That means that they know nothing about the relative teams and know little about football but have heard the talking heads on television use that phrase a lot. So they must have it and whoever they play must not.
4. Uneducated SEC fans never watch teams outside of the SEC and never put any effort into learning anything about them. They just know that all other conferences are slow and inferior.
5. The fans that you meet at the game are people that will actually put effort and money into supporting their team. Enjoy them. They are the best of the best. The posters here will be a mixed bag. Some good. Some bad. The bad ones will make you look fondly on the Cal fans.
6. If a UT fan asks for your address, don't give it. They just want to be able to mail dog feces to you if NU wins.

You were warned.

Nice post...get the tongue-in-cheek humor. Unless you grew up in the religious cult known as Tennessee football, you wouldn't understand. We Who Bleed the Blessed Orange are stone-dumb rednecks and blue-blood Nobel laureates and pretty much every socioeconomic stratum in between. Yes, some of us pick our noses at games. Neyland Stadium has modern booger spitoons throughout, especially in the skyboxes.

Now if it came down to where I would send my kids to college...it is hands-down NU. For football, though? That's the First Church of the Orange.

Look forward to playing you guys...happy holidays!

You all are in trouble. That's all I have to say. We are better than last year and we dismantled Iowa. They are the same team as last year and they took you behind the woodshed. This game won't even be close by half time.

Tennessee by 28 after calling off the dogs. We should have been in the citrus bowl. Michigan is so much better than you all

Nice post...get the tongue-in-cheek humor. Unless you grew up in the religious cult known as Tennessee football, you wouldn't understand. We Who Bleed the Blessed Orange are stone-dumb rednecks and blue-blood Nobel laureates and pretty much every socioeconomic stratum in between. Yes, some of us pick our noses at games. Neyland Stadium has modern booger spitoons throughout, especially in the skyboxes.

Now if it came down to where I would send my kids to college...it is hands-down NU. For football, though? That's the First Church of the Orange.

Look forward to playing you guys...happy holidays!
Humor? Me? I am always stone cold serious. ;) I expected lots of UT fans here today and did leave some little calling cards to welcome y'all. Thanks for seeing the humor in it and welcome.

You sir are as ignorant as one can be for you to spend your time typing this drivel.

First, name one player, aside from the VERY visible, VERY public AJ Johnson scandal, that has been in any trouble under Butch Jones.

2. APR? Maybe you should be on everybody's ignore because under BJ the APR has been extremely impressive.

3. Would it stand to reason that since 1998 and the BCS era the SEC has won 10 titles. Would that make the conference superior? Probably not in your opinion. I digress, you're educated, and all us ignorant hillbillies should just be quiet.

4. Anybody who would mail animal feces regardless of team affiliation should be slapped in the faces with said feces.

In conclusion, you should winter a little further south and leave the great state of Tennessee in your rear view. On second thought, what little taxes this state charges are needed from yanks like yourself who feel like people in this great state are less than yourself. The truth remains, your stereotypical views are ignorant and usually exposed pretty easily.

Hope that NW degree has gotten you everything you've needed and wanted in life, because you are obviously a shitty person.

It's NU, you Tennessee University idiot.

What sort of inferiority complex compels you to blather on and on about your life story? Are you that insecure in who you are that you can't stop yourself from self-aggrandizement - and over the Internet, of all places?

Perhaps with a few weeks of dedicated counseling, you might be OK by game time. I suggest you leave here pronto and get into whatever program you can get into on such short notice. You don't have much time.
You are really wearing thin, Stupor. Time for me to try that ignore feature. So long, hombre.

I thought he figured that the Maroons were in the B10 when he was "hurdling".

Actually, Chicago does have a below average to average track and field program . . . pardon the digression.

But the setting off of the first self-sustained nuclear chain reaction is one of the accomplishments for which the University has achieved renown. This experiment was carried out underneath the stands of Stagg Field, where the Maroons used to play. A plaque stands today marking the exact location. So now you know why the Maroons no longer compete in the B1G.

Based on the last time we met, I will cede the facial hair battle. 6/10 people sporting Vols gear in the general Orlando area had mustaches. Now that facial hair is popular, counting the women , I'll bet on 90%

Reactions: USNavyVol7
Hi everyone in NU nation! Tennessee fan here, happy to join you on these boards!

I will tell you up front, I am not here to argue or fight, I detest trolls, and I'm sorry that there seem to be a few pro-Vols trolls showing up on the boards (they're on our boards, too, and are no more pleasant for us than they are for you).

I just created an account here to share thoughts with you about the upcoming bowl game, get to know you a little, maybe give you a chance to get to know one of us (if you want to), and that sort of thing. No hype, promise. :)

I think GlideCat's assessment of Volunteer nation is unfair and unfortunate, though there are truths buried in his words. For instance, I am absolutely guilty of being one of those Vols fans who never attended the University of Tennessee. When I was a kid (I'm in my 50s), my parents and most of my friends' parents never went to any college at all. Just hard-working blue collar families. They cheered for Tennessee's Volunteers not because of a diploma, but just because that was our team. And they passed that along to us, just as we've tried to pass it along to our own kids.

So I was bleeding orange long before I got accepted to West Point (Tennessee was among my other college choices). I even remember (quietly) cheering for Tennessee against Army when they played one of the years I was a cadet, heh.

Anyway, sorry to get into personal stuff, just wanted to get an example of how GlideCat's depiction of Vols fans might have truth to it and still not be a complete picture of us.

Okay, I'm off to the other threads to talk football with you. Thanks for allowing me to be here with you for a while!

EDIT and p.s.: In spite of my humble upbringing, I do not intend to be parking your cars any time soon (doing a little research on NU traditions, heh).

Last edited:
Reactions: dustyrhodes
Hi everyone in NU nation! Tennessee fan here, happy to join you on these boards!

I will tell you up front, I am not here to argue or fight, I detest trolls, and I'm sorry that there seem to be a few pro-Vols trolls showing up on the boards (they're on our boards, too, and are no more pleasant for us than they are for you).

I just created an account here to share thoughts with you about the upcoming bowl game, get to know you a little, maybe give you a chance to get to know one of us (if you want to), and that sort of thing. No hype, promise. :)

I think GlideCat's assessment of Volunteer nation is unfair and unfortunate, though there are truths buried in his words. For instance, I am absolutely guilty of being one of those Vols fans who never attended the University of Tennessee. When I was a kid (I'm in my 50s), my parents and most of my friends' parents never went to any college at all. Just hard-working blue collar families. They cheered for Tennessee's Volunteers not because of a diploma, but just because that was our team. And they passed that along to us, just as we've tried to pass it along to our own kids.

So I was bleeding orange long before I got accepted to West Point (Tennessee was among my other college choices). I even remember (quietly) cheering for Tennessee against Army when they played one of the years I was a cadet, heh.

Anyway, sorry to get into personal stuff, just wanted to get an example of how GlideCat's depiction of Vols fans might have truth to it and still not be a complete picture of us.

Okay, I'm off to the other threads to talk football with you. Thanks for allowing me to be here with you for a while!
Its not necessarily negative, but true that most public state universities have large numbers of fans who didn't attend those universities. Same thing here in Missouri. Just a fact. If not, how would they fill those gigantic stadiums 6 or 7 times a year. Based solely on my own experiences, I would venture that some of the most rapid fans didn't attend any institute of higher learning. This is based on my knowledge of Missouri, Iowa, and Auburn fan bases. Oh, I forgot to include Kansas State-----same deal.

You all are in trouble. That's all I have to say. We are better than last year and we dismantled Iowa. They are the same team as last year and they took you behind the woodshed. This game won't even be close by half time.

Tennessee by 28 after calling off the dogs. We should have been in the citrus bowl. Michigan is so much better than you all

Reactions: Fitz51
As most of you know, I make my home in Tennessee. For the next few weeks, you are about to enter my nightmare. Some recommendations and things you should know about interacting with UT fans is as follows:

1. Most UT fans did not attend the university. An amazing number have never even been there. But they consider themselves rabid diehard fans. Until the team loses two games in a row. Then they turn on the coaches, the school, the team, and the individual players. Take the worst of the posters on this board, make it worse by a factor of 10, and then multiply by thousands of fans.
2. Like many similar teams with schools attached, these fans tend to be the ones that say boys-will-be-boys when player arrests become rampant - no matter what the charge. And get mad at the university for suspending players and would storm the gates if a star player were kicked off the team for being convicted of a major crime. Ask them about APR and they will look quizzically at you. Once you explain what it is, they will tell you that such things are for sissy schools.
3. If a Tennessee fan posts anything about "team speed," go ahead and put them on ignore. That is the mantra of the uneducated SEC fan. That means that they know nothing about the relative teams and know little about football but have heard the talking heads on television use that phrase a lot. So they must have it and whoever they play must not.
4. Uneducated SEC fans never watch teams outside of the SEC and never put any effort into learning anything about them. They just know that all other conferences are slow and inferior.
5. The fans that you meet at the game are people that will actually put effort and money into supporting their team. Enjoy them. They are the best of the best. The posters here will be a mixed bag. Some good. Some bad. The bad ones will make you look fondly on the Cal fans.
6. If a UT fan asks for your address, don't give it. They just want to be able to mail dog feces to you if NU wins.

You were warned.

Warn them that we often invite opposing fans to break bread with us before a game.

Warn them that 10% of UT fans want to fight you over a game.

Warn them that the hospitality throughout the south far exceeds the desire to belittle someone. (like you do)

Lastly, warn them that the majority of TN fans say "Good game" even when we lose.

Let me "warn them about the OP.... He deals in stereotypes. I invite you to post your experiences after the game in regards to the TRUE TN fans... not the ones this OP tries "warn" you about.

I will be in the East parking lot... a block from the stadium. Driving a black Silverado pulling a grill. I invite ANY NW fan to eat some real southern BBQ with me before the game and have a beer afterwards. Anyone except OP that is...... wouldn't want to ruin his perceptions

I ran track in 1977. At National Championships I didn't see any Northwestern guys there, so I guess I could have been a bit off base there. I went to Furman and my son went to Georgia Tech. My apologies, but it has been forever since I was competing...did NW have a track team then?

I was on the Northwestern track team in 1976, not sure what was happening in 1977 though.

Interesting that Iowa fans were mentioned directly, twice. Once as like-minded buddies, secondly as boorish jerks. To UT fans, it is rare that NU fans are compared to Hawkeye fans and please stop now!

Thanks for reminding me how bad Vanderbilt football is! I almost forgot! Fortunately baseball has been good to us and the basketball team is coming on strong. In addition I look forward to my hometown cats demolishing UcheaT come New Year's!

Meanwhile Tennessee fans are rejoicing at their first mediocre 8 win season in years, have a dumpster fire of a basketball program, an incompetent AD and a non competitive baseball team.

Thanks for reminding me how bad Vanderbilt football is! I almost forgot! Fortunately baseball has been good to us and the basketball team is coming on strong. In addition I look forward to my hometown cats demolishing UcheaT come New Year's!

Meanwhile Tennessee fans are rejoicing at their first mediocre 8 win season in years, have a dumpster fire of a basketball program, an incompetent AD and a non competitive baseball team.

I'm glad you were able to get some of that out of your system. It's good for your health in the long term. Strange that you would e-travel all the way to NU's boards to vent, though.

Warn them that the hospitality throughout the south far exceeds the desire to belittle someone. (like you do)
Hi. Welcome to the board. I was born and raised in the South and still make my home in Nashville. I have a strange sense of humor and - in anticipation of a hoard of UT fans coming to our board (since ours is open to all and Tennessee's is closed) - I thought it would be funny to troll on my own board for fans of another team. Maybe more ironic than humorous. You clearly do not appreciate this type of humor but I have honestly enjoyed both the response posts that got furious with me and those that saw the joke.

Living in Tennessee and not being a Vols fan, I do know the buttons to push to annoy UT fans. I added #5 as an offering to the fact that the fans that will be at the stadium for a bowl game will be topnotch people and I did not want the NU fans that are heading to the game to think I was serious about UT fans being not fun to watch a game with.

But, once you have mailed dog feces to ESPN once, then you are a dog-feces-mailer forever. :)

Hi. Welcome to the board. I was born and raised in the South and still make my home in Nashville. I have a strange sense of humor and - in anticipation of a hoard of UT fans coming to our board (since ours is open to all and Tennessee's is closed) - I thought it would be funny to troll on my own board for fans of another team. Maybe more ironic than humorous. You clearly do not appreciate this type of humor but I have honestly enjoyed both the response posts that got furious with me and those that saw the joke.

Living in Tennessee and not being a Vols fan, I do know the buttons to push to annoy UT fans. I added #5 as an offering to the fact that the fans that will be at the stadium for a bowl game will be topnotch people and I did not want the NU fans that are heading to the game to think I was serious about UT fans being not fun to watch a game with.

But, once you have mailed dog feces to ESPN once, then you are a dog-feces-mailer forever. :)

GlideCat, VolNation isn't a closed board. It just has one more step in the registration process (Mod approval) than this site. So it takes longer, but still should be open to all who aren't spam bots or sales-software. Feel free to go register there, we've had visiting fans from, I think, every team we played this year!

GlideCat, VolNation isn't a closed board. It just has one more step in the registration process (Mod approval) than this site. So it takes longer, but still should be open to all who aren't spam bots or sales-software. Feel free to go register there, we've had visiting fans from, I think, every team we played this year!
I thought it was asking me for more money... and I am a cheap ba*tard.

I thought it was asking me for more money... and I am a cheap ba*tard.

Heh, yeah, don't pay anything. There are a couple of fan sites that charge, but the best one (imho), VolNation, is absolutely free. If you get to a page asking for a credit card, slip away! :)

When was your team(s) last National Championship?

Don't compare programs as a whole. It would be silly.

ESPN got even... click

Reactions: GlideCat
Heh, yeah, don't pay anything. There are a couple of fan sites that charge, but the best one (imho), VolNation, is absolutely free. If you get to a page asking for a credit card, slip away! :)

VolNation absolutely blows, mouth breathers galore. You should know, you're one of its finest products. You want to hold a real conversation with intelligent posters? Visit 8thmaxim.com. Yes, it's free as well.

VolNation absolutely blows, mouth breathers galore. You should know, you're one of its finest products. You want to hold a real conversation with intelligent posters? Visit 8thmaxim.com. Yes, it's free as well.

To be clear: by "one of its finest products," do you mean I'm one of the biggest mouth breathers? Heh.

In any case, I disagree. There are certainly trolls and even more Eeyores in VolNation, but the community as a whole are great people. And the site is run expertly by Freak and the Mods.

Having said that, I may drop by 8thmaxim some time, see how it is there. Thanks for the tip.

To be clear: by "one of its finest products," do you mean I'm one of the biggest mouth breathers? Heh.

In any case, I disagree. There are certainly trolls and even more Eeyores in VolNation, but the community as a whole are great people. And the site is run expertly by Freak and the Mods.

Having said that, I may drop by 8thmaxim some time, see how it is there. Thanks for the tip.

The moderation of that site borders on pathetic.

By your responses, you're talking me out of visiting 8thmaxim. Are they all like you there?

Well, they don't cuddle posters and delete everything there. You're allowed to have an opinion, it's actually refreshing. Volnation has turned in to a breeding ground of idiocy and what's worse, the Mods protect said idiots.

Come by the 8th, you may enjoy it.

I'm glad you were able to get some of that out of your system. It's good for your health in the long term. Strange that you would e-travel all the way to NU's boards to vent, though.
My parents went to Northwestern and I had season tickets to football growing up so playing UT in the Outback bowl just adds extra intrigue to this game as a Vandy alum.

You were warned.

This is not necessarily true and could cost you your life or bodily harm. The fans that are wearing "look at me" clothing and reek of booze are to be avoided.

The Iowa fans in Jacksonville last year loved us. We invited a crowd of them to our tailgate and shared our food and drink. Their most famous fan, Hawkeye Elvis, even stopped by.

Of course they were good people and not a whiny little girl like you.
and oklahoma fans actually wanted a bowl against us (before they went to playoffs) so we "the horrible fans" could tailgate and enjoy another matchup. but we are simply terrible southern rednecks who know absolutely nothing about football...o and we havent been inside a school since we were barefoot in the fifth grade. the more i listen to the yankees the more i realize how simple and ignorant some of them truly are.

You sir are as ignorant as one can be for you to spend your time typing this drivel.

First, name one player, aside from the VERY visible, VERY public AJ Johnson scandal, that has been in any trouble under Butch Jones.

2. APR? Maybe you should be on everybody's ignore because under BJ the APR has been extremely impressive.

3. Would it stand to reason that since 1998 and the BCS era the SEC has won 10 titles. Would that make the conference superior? Probably not in your opinion. I digress, you're educated, and all us ignorant hillbillies should just be quiet.

4. Anybody who would mail animal feces regardless of team affiliation should be slapped in the faces with said feces.

In conclusion, you should winter a little further south and leave the great state of Tennessee in your rear view. On second thought, what little taxes this state charges are needed from yanks like yourself who feel like people in this great state are less than yourself. The truth remains, your stereotypical views are ignorant and usually exposed pretty easily.

Hope that NW degree has gotten you everything you've needed and wanted in life, because you are obviously a shitty person.
Voldestorian: Glidecat a shitty person? He's about as equanimous a person as one will find. Are you acquainted with a Mr. Brown, from Tennessee?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT