ADVERTISEMENT

When are the cross-division rivals due to be reshuffled?

Overly_Invested_Cat

Sep 10, 2015
Is there a set date/season when the cross-division opponents will be recalibrated? Given the Cats success since the shift to East-West divisions, I'm curious who is most likely to be our regular opponent. Probably Penn State or more Michigan State would be my guess, but I haven't done the math.

Yes Maryland is our crossover game for 6 years.

But the more important key to the story is they built a 36 year time frame to make it so that everybody in the East/West minus Indiana/Purdue get to be 6 year rivals with the other division's 6 teams.

So we'll get 6 year rivals that we then play another 10 times over the other 30 years.

Obviously Indiana-Purdue are permanently locked, so we only see Indiana 12 times.

So this has nothing to do with strength of teams but rather balancing out to make sure everyone sees each other.

But the more important key to the story is they built a 36 year time frame to make it so that everybody in the East/West minus Indiana/Purdue get to be 6 year rivals with the other division's 6 teams.

So we'll get 6 year rivals that we then play another 10 times over the other 30 years.

Obviously Indiana-Purdue are permanently locked, so we only see Indiana 12 times.

So this has nothing to do with strength of teams but rather balancing out to make sure everyone sees each other.
Wisconsin's draw of Ohio State is rough. So is Illinois drawing Ped State, assuming that this year was just an off-season for them.

I think we have only played Rutgers once. I guess we are waiting for them to have resurgence.

Illini have had Rutgers for the last six years, helping to keep their record a little more respectable, so no, its not a tough break to get Penn State. It just evens the score a bit.

In someones lifetime?

In someones lifetime?

Least our players should see each cross division team at least once in a 4-5 year span.

SEC with only 8 games and 1 locked crossover means that their players miss a couple teams.

Georgia's first visit to A&M is 2024, and A&M entered the SEC in 2012.

Reactions: drewjin
Answering my own question. Maryland starting in 2022.

Weird.

B1G 10 Cross-Division Football Rivals
That was the case previously, but I thought that might have been subject to change post the Covid year. But based on this site, which has usually been reliable in the past, it seems like as of now those protected matchups will take place as previously scheduled starting in 2022 (the first link is for 2021 schedule, you can toggle the year forward.

Crossovers
2021: MSU, @Mich, Rutgers

2022: @Indiana, @Maryland, OSU
2023: @Rutgers, PSU, Maryland
2024: @MSU, Mich, @Maryland
2025-2027 are just the inverse of 2022-2024 (home matchup turns into road game and vice versa)

Overall it's not a bad draw, if it doesn't get changed. Btw we play Duke every year until 2024. Other than that not many interesting OOC matchups scheduled as of yet. I do like the home-and-home with Colorado in 2026-2027. Also we open with a B1G crossover game each of the next 3 years - MSU in 2021, Indiana in 2022, Rutgers in 2023.

I think we have only played Rutgers once. I guess we are waiting for them to have resurgence.
we played them in Jersey in 2018, Bowser's breakout game. I was at that game. Then this year.

Of course we add Maryland now that I've moved 2000 miles west from MD to Idaho.

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT