ADVERTISEMENT

Who is next at QB?

Aging Booster

Apr 10, 2014
With Costelli opting for Utah, NU has to move on to another QB candidate for the class of 2021. Who is our next choice? As an aside, I always am fascinated by college choices made between very disparate schools. There seems to be little that Utah and NU share. One is an elite private school long affiliated with the Big Ten and located in a wealthy suburb adjacent to a cosmopolitan metropolis in a decidedly "blue state". The other is a public school that is little known nationwide for its academic programs, only recently a part of the PAC 12, located in a rather sparsely populated "red state" known primarily for Mormonism, outdoor recreation, and beautiful scenery. I find it hard to understand how both could be seriously considered by prospective students.

Last edited:
With Costelli opting for Utah, NU has to move on to another QB candidate for the class of 2021. Who is our next choice?

Kajiya Hollawayne got his NU offer at about the same time as Costello and is still very much in play for NU. I am sure a couple new offers will be extended. Several possible targets have been mentioned including Jalen Kitna, who had previously been committed to Bajakian at BC.

Kitna seems like a likely candidate for the next offer. Don’t sleep on Heinrich Haarberg, though he may be tough to pull from NE if they offer. He made it to Evanston the last visit weekend before the dead period and holds a Harvard offer in addition to some P5 interest.

Kitna seems like a likely candidate for the next offer. Don’t sleep on Heinrich Haarberg, though he may be tough to pull from NE if they offer. He made it to Evanston the last visit weekend before the dead period and holds a Harvard offer in addition to some P5 interest.

I really like Haarberg. Good looking athlete. I think he is likely to get an offer but like you said, in state Nebraska is now likely to do the same as they were also after Costelli as their top QB prospect.

I really like Haarberg. Good looking athlete. I think he is likely to get an offer but like you said, in state Nebraska is now likely to do the same as they were also after Costelli as their top QB prospect.

Pretty mechanical/robotic as a passer, in my mind. He’s decent, but also a reason he wasn’t a priority offer for in-state Nebraska.

With Costelli opting for Utah, NU has to move on to another QB candidate for the class of 2021. Who is our next choice? As an aside, I always am fascinated by college choices made between very disparate schools. There seems to be little that Utah and NU share. One is an elite private school long affiliated with the Big Ten and located in a wealthy suburb adjacent to a cosmopolitan metropolis in a decidedly "blue state". The other is a public school that is little known nationwide for its academic programs, only recently a part of the PAC 12, located in a rather sparsely populated "red state" known primarily for Mormonism, outdoor recreation, and beautiful scenery. I find it hard to understand how both could be seriously considered by prospective students.
The "color" of the state was WAY down my list of considerations on why I would choose NU. I doubt that many students care about that when choosing a school.

Reactions: NUCat320
The "color" of the state was WAY down my list of considerations on why I would choose NU. I doubt that many students care about that when choosing a school.
I understand, and largely agree, although I did reject one school that offered me a scholarship when I saw that it had turned its athletic trophy case into some crazy art exhibit. I felt then I did not belong there. My reference is more to campus values and attitudes than to statewide politics, though I worded it poorly. NU offers a very different student body, I would guess, from Utah - politically, socially, culturally.

I understand, and largely agree, although I did reject one school that offered me a scholarship when I saw that it had turned its athletic trophy case into some crazy art exhibit. I felt then I did not belong there. My reference is more to campus values and attitudes than to statewide politics, though I worded it poorly. NU offers a very different student body, I would guess, from Utah - politically, socially, culturally.

I think recruiting can come down to relationships with coaches and players as much as anything. Neither school is a big name in college football, but both play excellent, hard-nosed football and may attract kids with good character overall.

Reactions: seavue617
I think recruiting can come down to relationships with coaches and players as much as anything. Neither school is a big name in college football, but both play excellent, hard-nosed football and may attract kids with good character overall.

Utah was in contention for the playoff toward the end of the season. Probably getting a bump as a result of their recent success, just as we should have had we not had the clunker of a season last year.

Reactions: DaCat
"The Utah state population is dominated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) or as they are popularly called Mormons members. The denomination comprises 61.55 percent or almost two-thirds of the population of the state. This dominance, however, stops at one place in the state: the campus of the University of Utah. A survey carried out by The Daily Utah Chronicle discovered that about 35.92 percent of the 32,994 University of Utah students identify themselves as Latter-day Saints."
I remember a headline in the Milwaukee Journal from about 25 years ago: "Only 2/3 of today's Milwaukeeans have any German blood whatsoever". As a person of German ethnicity who grew up in Milwaukee, I understood.

"The Utah state population is dominated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) or as they are popularly called Mormons members. The denomination comprises 61.55 percent or almost two-thirds of the population of the state. This dominance, however, stops at one place in the state: the campus of the University of Utah. A survey carried out by The Daily Utah Chronicle discovered that about 35.92 percent of the 32,994 University of Utah students identify themselves as Latter-day Saints."
I remember a headline in the Milwaukee Journal from about 25 years ago: "Only 2/3 of today's Milwaukeeans have any German blood whatsoever". As a person of German ethnicity who grew up in Milwaukee, I understood.
Remember that many of those looking for the Mormon experience at college would choose BYU over Utah. BYU even has more undergrads than Utah, so it seems to be a popular pick.

^ Yeah, how else would you have described him last season?

A different running style (more of a bruiser), but still more of a RB playing the QB position.

^ So, having 52 rushing attempts for 201 yds vs. 22 passing for 150 yds - didn't make Marty more of a RB playing the QB position?

Real DT QBs usually have 2.5x yds passing as they do running, if not 3x.

^ So, having 52 rushing attempts for 201 yds vs. 22 passing for 150 yds - didn't make Marty more of a RB playing the QB position?

No, those stats were completely a function of circumstances. Weather, skill positions depleted by injuries, lack of experience/playing time by Marty and other skill position players who were playing, and the weaknesses of our opponents dictated a simple, run heavy game plan. There were enough glimpses of Marty passing the ball to suggest he can be an effective QB for us running an offense with a balanced game plan.

Marty reminded me of junior year Kafka, he of the 200+ rushing yards against Minny. We know Kafka could throw, but as a junior year backup he more often ran.

Marty threw a mighty fine, beautiful, maybe the best pass any of our QBs threw all season throw against Illinois. So like junior Kafka, we know he can throw. We just had him run more.

Reactions: drewjin
Marty reminded me of junior year Kafka, he of the 200+ rushing yards against Minny. We know Kafka could throw, but as a junior year backup he more often ran.

Marty threw a mighty fine, beautiful, maybe the best pass any of our QBs threw all season throw against Illinois. So like junior Kafka, we know he can throw. We just had him run more.
Think that's a real stretch comparing him to Kafka. Let's remember it was against Illinois. And how many passes did he actually complete? Attempt?

Think that's a real stretch comparing him to Kafka. Let's remember it was against Illinois. And how many passes did he actually complete? Attempt?

Marty showed enough in the last two games to warrant praise.

Against Minnesota,
  • Passing: 8-10, 95 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT
  • Rushing: 16-52, 2 TD
Against Illannoys:
  • Passing: 6-10, 55 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT
  • Rushing: 30-111, 2 TD
For comparison, Hunter Johnson started the game against Minny, and was 0-2 with 3 sacks in the passing dept, and 4 carries for 0 yards rushing (officially -40 yds including the sacks), before leaving with an injury. Marty wasn't sacked once against Minny.

For comparison, Hunter Johnson started the game against Minny, and was 0-2 with 3 sacks in the passing dept, and 4 carries for 0 yards rushing (officially -40 yds including the sacks), before leaving with an injury. Marty wasn't sacked once against Minny.

That's one heck of a line. Failure in its crystalline form.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
That's one heck of a line. Failure in its crystalline form.
Failure of the offensive line whenever he was in. They gave the meaning to the word offensive.

Every time the ball was snapped to Hunter that game, the defense arrived at the same time as the ball. The thought entered my mind that they were doing it on purpose, but that can't be right.

No, those stats were completely a function of circumstances. Weather, skill positions depleted by injuries, lack of experience/playing time by Marty and other skill position players who were playing, and the weaknesses of our opponents dictated a simple, run heavy game plan. There were enough glimpses of Marty passing the ball to suggest he can be an effective QB for us running an offense with a balanced game plan.

Of course the surrounding circumstances play a factor, but at the same time, it's even more so what the QB is more proficient at doing.

Take the exact same circumstances and stick in a young Siemian or Bacher; you think they would have 2.5x more attempts rushing than they do passing?

There were times when TS lost most of his leading receivers to injury, but the coaches still tried to pass the ball and didn't start turning TS into a ball carrier.

My post was no reflection on what Marty may develop into (he very well may develop into a true DT QB), but merely an observation of what he was mostly used as last season; altho, can be a reflection of McCall's (passing) QB unfriendly system.

Last edited:
Of course the surrounding circumstances play a factor, but at the same time, it's even more so what the QB is more proficient at doing.

Take the exact same circumstances and stick in a young Siemian or Bacher; you think they would have 2.5x more attempts rushing than they do passing?

There were times when TS lost most of his leading receivers to injury, but the coaches still tried to pass the ball and didn't start turning TS into a ball carrier.

My post was no reflection on what Marty may develop into (he very well may develop into a true DT QB), but merely an observation of what he was mostly used as last season; altho, can be a reflection of McCall's (passing) QB unfriendly system.

I remember another game against Illinois played under similar conditions and circumstances and I believe we passed the ball thrree times all game with Basanez at QB. So I guess I am saying the answer is yes. You do what gives you the best chance of winning the game. Why pass, which inherently is more complex and risky than running the ball, when you can run for 5+ yards a pop play after play?

But if one has a QB already more polished as a passer, coaches are more apt to play him - as an O overly reliant on running the ball (not b/c the running game is being so dominant, but b/c the passing game is shaky) is prone to be a 1-dimensional and limited O.

Marty did well w/ what he was asked to do last season, but let's not pretend that kind of O was successful.

But if one has a QB already more polished as a passer, coaches are more apt to play him - as an O overly reliant on running the ball (not b/c the running game is being so dominant, but b/c the passing game is shaky) is prone to be a 1-dimensional and limited O.

Marty did well w/ what he was asked to do last season, but let's not pretend that kind of O was successful.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. All I was saying is that it’s flawed logic to conclude that Marty can’t pass the ball because of what you saw in the Illinois game. He passed the ball rarely in the Illinois game because we didn’t Have to. The few times he passed the ball in the Illinois and Minnesota games provided enough evidence in my opinion to suggest he may have been the best QB we had on last year’s roster. None of the other guys who played QB last year for us showed more potential than he did when they played.

^ Well, I didn't say that Marty couldn't pass, altho, that's likely an area he needs to continue to develop.

Merely stated that he was used more as a RB playing the QB position - which is accurate no matter the circumstances.

Aside from Bacher and Siemian (and maybe Thorson), that run-dominant play from the QB position has applied to the other QBs at the early stages of their careers until they got more experience in running the O and more polished as a passer (Kafka, Persa, Colter, Alviti).

Last edited:
^ Well, I didn't say that Marty couldn't pass, altho, that's likely an area he needs to continue to develop.

Merely stated that he was used more as a RB playing the QB position - which is accurate no matter the circumstances.

Aside from Bacher and Siemian (and maybe Thorson), that run-dominant play from the QB position has applied to the other QBs at the early stages of their careers until they got more experience and more polished as a passer in the O (Kafka, Persa, Colter).

You described him “as more of a RB playing QB”. Not that he was used like a RB playing QB. There is a difference. I would not have disagreed with the second statement.

^ My original post was this...

There's already a QB playing RB on the roster.

At the same time, if Marty was already more a polished passer a la Bacher or Siemian, likely would have passed more in the 2nd half in order to better facilitate a comeback.

I remember another game against Illinois played under similar conditions and circumstances and I believe we passed the ball thrree times all game with Basanez at QB. So I guess I am saying the answer is yes. You do what gives you the best chance of winning the game. Why pass, which inherently is more complex and risky than running the ball, when you can run for 5+ yards a pop play after play?

2003 I think. Wright and Herron all day. I think Wright had over 250 yards and Herron over 160.

It was a nice day outside, for sure.

Erik

Reactions: corbi296
Failure of the offensive line whenever he was in. They gave the meaning to the word offensive.

Every time the ball was snapped to Hunter that game, the defense arrived at the same time as the ball. The thought entered my mind that they were doing it on purpose, but that can't be right.
When they know you can't complete a pass or run because you are shell-shocked, they pin back those ears and rush the passer.

Marty posed more of a threat, especially as a runner against two smaller defensive fronts.

When they know you can't complete a pass or run because you are shell-shocked, they pin back those ears and rush the passer.

Marty posed more of a threat, especially as a runner against two smaller defensive fronts.
That doesn't explain why the offensive line couldn't put up some resistance, give him some time.

That doesn't explain why the offensive line couldn't put up some resistance, give him some time.

I'll have to go back and check the replay of the Minny game, though I've been putting it off because it's painful to watch, but it is very incriminating on HJ that he went to pass 5 times, and was 0-2 with 3 sacks, while Marty went 8-10 with 0 sacks. Did the OL suddenly feel guilty about getting HJ hurt and decide to step up their protection when Marty came on? Doesn't make sense, that's why I'll have to find the replay.

Didn't we run for something like 400 yds in that game? Heran and Wright if I recall

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT