ADVERTISEMENT

Why I didn't renew my season tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overly_Invested_Cat

Sep 10, 2015
I love Northwestern football and have been supporting them for over 20 years, while living in Evanston and flying the Northwestern flag as an alumnus. Sadly, I've reached a level of frustration with the university, athletic department, and football program that forced me to take action and stop giving them my money any more. Here is my moderately short list of grievances.

1. The university is trying to turn the residential neighborhood surrounding the football field into an entertainment district that will host up to 12 for-profit concerts with a capacity up to 35K and an unlimited number of for-profit concerts with a capacity up to 10K attendees. Northwestern is unwilling to pay taxes on its for-profit activities and offers much less support to the Evanston community than the Ivy League schools it likes to compare itself to. In fact, most Ivy League schools support their local communities with PILOT (payment in-lieu of taxes) programs that contribute to the mutual success of the university and the local community. Northwestern? Nope.
2. The zoning change isn't about bringing entertainment to Evanston or making campus facilities accessible to the community. It is being pushed by Northwestern and the athletic department because they need the revenue from the concerts to service the debt for the new stadium until Pat Ryan passes away and his bequest becomes available to the university. In short, Northwestern is willing to pimp out its Evanston neighbors for a new stadium.
3. I no longer have an interest in attending games in a stadium that is named after and being rebuilt with the money of a donor who is also raising funds for a Wisconsin-based January 6th insurrectionist. Pat Ryan's politics have been an embarrassment for years, but Northwestern shows no interest in foregoing donations from anyone. Maybe we should start taking money from the NRA and big tobacco too. What do you think?
4. I'm not against the new stadium. God knows Dyche Stadium is badly in need of renovation or replacement, but the current plans have the entire stadium standing at 140 feet above ground, which will create a visual blight. BTW, the current stadium is ~40' tall as viewed from Central Street and 100' tall at the top of the press box, as a means for comparison.
5. Northwestern is actively fomenting division in Evanston, calling neighbors living near the stadium rich, white NIMBYs (not-in-my-back-yarders), who are against economic development. They are actively promoting the project as a source of jobs to less-privileged Evanston residents. But Northwestern isn't making any guarantees about the numbers to be hired or the salaries of the positions. In fact, most of the jobs will be part-time, gig concession and parking jobs. Not exactly career development.
6. I don't think I'll be able to afford games at the new stadium. What with seat licenses, minimum donations, plus increased ticket prices, I'll be priced out of watching the team I love in person. And Northwestern is kidding itself if it thinks it can build a season ticket holder population that can sell out 35K seats at significantly higher prices. Look around, 75% of game attendees are 50+ years-old and season ticket holders probably average even older. They can't even get half a section of students to attend for a full half. If it weren't for the band, there would likely be fewer than 200 students in attendance.
7. Did I mention the quality of the product? I've suffered through many a bad season, but the last two years have been a giant leap backwards. And is there now a coaches portal? All our good coaches seem to be disappearing. I honestly hope we'll be better this year -- truly -- and I'll be watching it from home, but I'm not optimistic.

Anyhow, I'll see you on the boards. Go 'Cats!

I love Northwestern football and have been supporting them for over 20 years, while living in Evanston and flying the Northwestern flag as an alumnus. Sadly, I've reached a level of frustration with the university, athletic department, and football program that forced me to take action and stop giving them my money any more. Here is my moderately short list of grievances.

1. The university is trying to turn the residential neighborhood surrounding the football field into an entertainment district that will host up to 12 for-profit concerts with a capacity up to 35K and an unlimited number of for-profit concerts with a capacity up to 10K attendees. Northwestern is unwilling to pay taxes on its for-profit activities and offers much less support to the Evanston community than the Ivy League schools it likes to compare itself to. In fact, most Ivy League schools support their local communities with PILOT (payment in-lieu of taxes) programs that contribute to the mutual success of the university and the local community. Northwestern? Nope.
2. The zoning change isn't about bringing entertainment to Evanston or making campus facilities accessible to the community. It is being pushed by Northwestern and the athletic department because they need the revenue from the concerts to service the debt for the new stadium until Pat Ryan passes away and his bequest becomes available to the university. In short, Northwestern is willing to pimp out its Evanston neighbors for a new stadium.
3. I no longer have an interest in attending games in a stadium that is named after and being rebuilt with the money of a donor who is also raising funds for a Wisconsin-based January 6th insurrectionist. Pat Ryan's politics have been an embarrassment for years, but Northwestern shows no interest in foregoing donations from anyone. Maybe we should start taking money from the NRA and big tobacco too. What do you think?
4. I'm not against the new stadium. God knows Dyche Stadium is badly in need of renovation or replacement, but the current plans have the entire stadium standing at 140 feet above ground, which will create a visual blight. BTW, the current stadium is ~40' tall as viewed from Central Street and 100' tall at the top of the press box, as a means for comparison.
5. Northwestern is actively fomenting division in Evanston, calling neighbors living near the stadium rich, white NIMBYs (not-in-my-back-yarders), who are against economic development. They are actively promoting the project as a source of jobs to less-privileged Evanston residents. But Northwestern isn't making any guarantees about the numbers to be hired or the salaries of the positions. In fact, most of the jobs will be part-time, gig concession and parking jobs. Not exactly career development.
6. I don't think I'll be able to afford games at the new stadium. What with seat licenses, minimum donations, plus increased ticket prices, I'll be priced out of watching the team I love in person. And Northwestern is kidding itself if it thinks it can build a season ticket holder population that can sell out 35K seats at significantly higher prices. Look around, 75% of game attendees are 50+ years-old and season ticket holders probably average even older. They can't even get half a section of students to attend for a full half. If it weren't for the band, there would likely be fewer than 200 students in attendance.
7. Did I mention the quality of the product? I've suffered through many a bad season, but the last two years have been a giant leap backwards. And is there now a coaches portal? All our good coaches seem to be disappearing. I honestly hope we'll be better this year -- truly -- and I'll be watching it from home, but I'm not optimistic.

The only ones you’re hurting are our student-athletes.

Thanks, @Overly_Invested_Cat. I have never investigated Ryan family politics; all I really knew was the intense focus on accessibility within buildings that house the family name.

You season ticket holders haven’t seen an interesting game in five years; anybody who abdicates is excused.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Maybe we will both get our wish and Evanston will win

Reactions: IGNORE2

While I disagree with your politics - you hit the blindly stupid right on the head. The arrogance of NU, like many other institutions around the country is remarkable.

I hope STP is right about a miracle season. Cuz otherwise…

If you had a great program, you could probably call more shots. If you had a nicer program in dealing with people outside, you could probably call more shots. Perhaps if you embraced an ideology, you could call more shots. If you used your wealth (endowment anyone?) generously, you could call more shots. And so on.

It seems like the entire admin is on the CGC koolaid and expects the world to bow and praise. How bizarre would it be if etown spent even let the place be built. Not like the athletic department is helping by forcing a dinosaur to field a competitive team, with good coaches, be nice to fans and media and maybe even throw in a spring game to create excitement.

NU is making its own path and gets zero sympathy.

I don't think I'll be able to afford games at the new stadium. What with seat licenses, minimum donations, plus increased ticket prices, I'll be priced out of watching the team I love in person. And Northwestern is kidding itself if it thinks it can build a season ticket holder population that can sell out 35K seats at significantly higher prices. Look around, 75% of game attendees are 50+ years-old and season ticket holders probably average even older. They can't even get half a section of students to attend for a full half. If it weren't for the band, there would likely be fewer than 200 students in attendance.
That's what I have been saying all along. If we want to maintain current revenue (and we don't to do that - I'm sure we want to, in fact, increase the revenue)...but just to MAINTAIN when you cut just about half the seats out, how will you maintain without pretty much doubling prices? And again, with NIL and all that, I think we want to increase income, not just tread water.

Maybe the critics who say Keep Ryan Field and spend the 800 million on NIL are right....

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat

Interesting post. I wanted to respond point by point before I fall asleep watching NBA playoffs. Mission not accomplished.

But I’m glad you shared your grievances and am surprised by a few of your points. I am not surprised by NU avoiding paying Evanston anything given their contentious history.

I don’t care about Pat Ryan’s political beliefs unless they are to an ugly extreme; which they aren’t. I briefly looked into that Wisconsin congressman and there’s nothing I could identify that definitively placed him in the Capitol on January 6th. Pat Ryan is a private citizen and entitled to his views. He has donated a lot to NU and I presume other charities and I hope his kids follow suit.

Frankly, the product on the field has been so bad the last two years that I can’t fault anyone for cancelling season tickets based on that alone. I hope we pull it around this season, but we clearly need some transfers or major transformations in all three phases of the game in order to be competitive.

All that said, perhaps the seating costs won’t be as bad as projected if the stadium is fully paid for by donations.

I look forward to your future contributions on the board. If I lived in/near Chicago I would be at most home games, and am a bit envious if anything of fans who have the option.

Last edited:
Interesting post. I wanted to respond point by point before I fall asleep watching NBA playoffs. Mission not accomplished.

But I’m glad you shared your grievances and am surprised by a few of your points. I am not surprised by NU avoiding paying Evanston anything given their contentious history.

I don’t care about Pat Ryan’s political beliefs unless they were KKK/Nazi extreme; which they aren’t. I briefly looked into that Wisconsin congressman and there’s nothing I could identify that definitively placed him in the Capitol on January 6th. Pat Ryan is a private citizen and entitled to his views. He has donated a lot to NU and I presume other charities and I hope his kids follow suit.

Frankly, the product on the field has been so bad the last two years that I can’t fault anyone for cancelling season tickets based on that alonr. I hope we pull it around this season, but we clearly need some transfers or major transformations in all three phases of the game in order to be competitive.

All that said, perhaps the seating costs won’t be as bad as projected if the stadium is fully paid for by donations.

I look forward to your future contributions on the board. If I lived in/near Chicago I would be at most home games, and am a bit envious if anything of fans who have the option.
I moved to MKE area last year and, whether the team improves or not, I am attending as many as I can this year. Who knows what shit-show we will have during construction, and the new Taj Mahal may be too pricey for me. I may be relegated to going to away games

I appreciate your well-stated thoughts on the matter.

As someone who loves going to live events and the prospect of Ryan Field opening the door to new acts coming to the area, I objectively agree Northwestern should be paying taxes on events like these, and/or yielding some tangible benefits to the city.

I freely admit being relatively ignorant on the particulars, so I appreciate @Overly_Invested_Cat sharing his sentiments and at least raising some awareness about it - otherwise I tend not to side with the locals who bought property in/around a stadium (and that's coming from someone who lived three blocks south of Wrigley).

The only ones you’re hurting are our student-athletes.
Exactly how am I hurting the student-athletes? Are they not going to be able to receive their scholarships? Am I taking my money out of their pockets? Does the money for season's tickets get contributed to the NIL fund? Give me a break. If the student-athletes did benefit from my patronage, I'd be much more likely to come back for more awful football.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and phatcat
I guess you’ve never competed on the collegiate level.
Why is participation in college sports necessary to understanding the student-athlete experience? Northwestern has plenty of great teams in sports with almost no fan base. Sure, it's nice to play in front of a supportive crowd, but the women's lacrosse team seems to find success with very few attendees.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
In the end, it's all about money. Evanston will (and should) extract what they can from NU in exchange for letting this go through.

Frankly, the product on the field has been so bad the last two years that I can’t fault anyone for cancelling season tickets based on that alone. I hope we pull it around this season, but we clearly need some transfers or major transformations in all three phases of the game in order to be competitive.
That is THE reason to cancel season tickets and no more should be necessary. NU fans must make a statement - not to NU, but to Pat Fitzgerald - about the product on the field and this is the way to do it. Pat's inputs need an upgrade.

Great timing here on the proposed new stadium after NU has been discouraging fans for two years.

If you own property near the stadium, you don't want ANY more events there than the current limit and THEY will resist change to the end. The zoning issue seems strong in their favor. OTOH, 12 more events per year, limited to 10K per event, does not seem excessive - 1 per month. If these are limited to day time hours and NU agrees to clean up after them, agreement might be possible with Evanston after NU gives them their pound of flesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
While I disagree with your politics - you hit the blindly stupid right on the head. The arrogance of NU, like many other institutions around the country is remarkable.

I hope STP is right about a miracle season. Cuz otherwise…

If you had a great program, you could probably call more shots. If you had a nicer program in dealing with people outside, you could probably call more shots. Perhaps if you embraced an ideology, you could call more shots. If you used your wealth (endowment anyone?) generously, you could call more shots. And so on.

It seems like the entire admin is on the CGC koolaid and expects the world to bow and praise. How bizarre would it be if etown spent even let the place be built. Not like the athletic department is helping by forcing a dinosaur to field a competitive team, with good coaches, be nice to fans and media and maybe even throw in a spring game to create excitement.

NU is making its own path and gets zero sympathy.
Whoa--I didn't say miracle season. Getting to .500 would be the miracle, given recent history.

Apropos of something, I do chuckle at the homeowners who bought property in view of an entertainment venue that opened up in 1926 and now bitch about entertainment happening there because it annoys them. You came to the nuisance!

Apropos of something, I do chuckle at the homeowners who bought property in view of an entertainment venue that opened up in 1926 and now bitch about entertainment happening there because it annoys them. You came to the nuisance!
Just to be devil's advocate here for a second...I can rationally understand that you bought a place nearby thinking, "single digit home football games per year and basketball in the winter...fine."

For me personally, getting pre-sale dibs being a Wrigley neighbor for anything they host at the park is enough to keep me happy, but I get that not everyone finds that attractive (and I'm not even hearing that's a concession Northwestern is offering to neighbors).

Now Northwestern generates revenue while raising my residential hassle factor another dozen or so times per year but not actually doing anything to lower my taxes or improve my quality of life. I'm just saying, especially on that last part with taxes, etc...I can see where some locals are reasonably upset and not just being a bunch of curmudgeons who would protest a sunny day.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Just to be devil's advocate here for a second...I can rationally understand that you bought a place nearby thinking, "single digit home football games per year and basketball in the winter...fine."

For me personally, getting pre-sale dibs being a Wrigley neighbor for anything they host at the park is enough to keep me happy, but I get that not everyone finds that attractive (and I'm not even hearing that's a concession Northwestern is offering to neighbors).

Now Northwestern generates revenue while raising my residential hassle factor another dozen or so times per year but not actually doing anything to lower my taxes or improve my quality of life. I'm just saying, especially on that last part with taxes, etc...I can see where some locals are reasonably upset and not just being a bunch of curmudgeons who would protest a sunny day.
It’s a tale as old as time in Evanston. Homeowners on Orrington complaining about noise from drunk college kids at night is too. Which I get! I’d find that annoying! But since I do, I wouldn’t buy a home two blocks from a college campus that’s interspersed with student housing.

Anyone who lives near Wrigley (which includes you and I, it sounds like) knows that the hubbub around the stadium magically disappears pretty much by the time you reach the east side of the Red Line tracks or a block or two over by Racine on the west side. And you get the perks of all sorts of fun stuff going on - which, again, if that’s not your thing, don’t move there!

The money question is different and I won’t bother with it, since I don’t know the ins and outs. It just cracks me up walking over to the stadium complex and people who bought homes within eyesight of the stadium are pissed that events could happen there.

It’s a tale as old as time in Evanston. Homeowners on Orrington complaining about noise from drunk college kids at night is too. Which I get! I’d find that annoying! But since I do, I wouldn’t buy a home two blocks from a college campus that’s interspersed with student housing.

Anyone who lives near Wrigley (which includes you and I, it sounds like) knows that the hubbub around the stadium magically disappears pretty much by the time you reach the east side of the Red Line tracks or a block or two over by Racine on the west side. And you get the perks of all sorts of fun stuff going on - which, again, if that’s not your thing, don’t move there!

The money question is different and I won’t bother with it, since I don’t know the ins and outs. It just cracks me up walking over to the stadium complex and people who bought homes within eyesight of the stadium are pissed that events could happen there.
While I do generally agree with you, I'm at least willing to listen to locals who are concerned the number of public events there could practically double. That's tantamount to Wrigley taking on a full season of hockey at the ball park.

Like you, I'm generally unfamiliar with Northwestern's deal with Evanston and taxes...but if the university just wants to do all this stuff sans any tax implications/revenue sharing with the city as OP suggests, then I'd acknowledge there's more to it than, "you knew you were moving in next to a stadium."

Northwestern can debate separating budgets and line items and how our Big Ten tv deal has nothing to do with a new stadium, but any way you slice it, NU is a filthy rich institution. I would love for the new stadium to go up and for me to see awesome non-football events there, but it's only fair for the city and the neighbors to benefit as well

(different story altogether for the neighbors who just want to say "don't like it, no thanks").

While I do generally agree with you, I'm at least willing to listen to locals who are concerned the number of public events there could practically double. That's tantamount to Wrigley taking on a full season of hockey at the ball park.

Like you, I'm generally unfamiliar with Northwestern's deal with Evanston and taxes...but if the university just wants to do all this stuff sans any tax implications/revenue sharing with the city as OP suggests, then I'd acknowledge there's more to it than, "you knew you were moving in next to a stadium."

Northwestern can debate separating budgets and line items and how our Big Ten tv deal has nothing to do with a new stadium, but any way you slice it, NU is a filthy rich institution. I would love for the new stadium to go up and for me to see awesome non-football events there, but it's only fair for the city and the neighbors to benefit as well

(different story altogether for the neighbors who just want to say "don't like it, no thanks").
I think we pretty much agree.

There sounds like a legitimate conversation about how the revenue should be used, and to what extent it should be taxable/accrue to the benefit of the city.

There is also what I consider a ridiculous complaint from locals who simply don't want to be bothered, to which I say: you picked it, eyes wide open.

We absolutely did. Most of the local neighbors are great supporters of Northwestern football and basketball and understand how critical the university is to the vitality of the city. What the neighbors didn't buy into was living through a huge at-least 3 year project next door. But, as I said above, I'm in favor of a new stadium despite the nuisance. What I'm against is having Evanston rezoned so that Northwestern can stage for-profit concerts all summer long and an unlimited number of for-profit events at Welsh-Ryan throughout the rest of the year.

I love Cats games -- both football and basketball -- and knew what living here meant. If Northwestern wants to stage concerts and events that have nothing to do with its educational mission, they should build a new stadium on landfill adjacent to campus. That would certainly make sporting events more accessible to students.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat and IGNORE2

Your financial points are fair. NU has been giving $1MM+ annually to Evanston, but they are certainly below their peer group schools in terms of payments. Strikes me as penny-wise, pound-foolish by NU.

It is also very reasonable to ask for some sort of taxation structure on commercial, non-academic related activity such as concerts.

That said, do we really think opposition from neighboring residents will fade away if NU agrees to some meaningful payments based on the above? Of course not - the financial stuff is just cover for not wanting Ryan Field to be occasionally used in a way that stadiums are typically used for. (hardly pimping out its neighbors)

But it might be enough to get enough votes from the city council or whatever body is required to approve this. Pretty small price to pay for approval, and (hopefully) somewhat better on-going town / gown relations.

Reactions: rwhitney014
Just Cappy cleaning out some of the political junk as he should be doing. Nice job Cappy.

Exactly how am I hurting the student-athletes? Are they not going to be able to receive their scholarships? Am I taking my money out of their pockets? Does the money for season's tickets get contributed to the NIL fund? Give me a break. If the student-athletes did benefit from my patronage, I'd be much more likely to come back for more awful football.

Playing in front of half filled stadiums hurts our student-athletes. Your quitting on them makes me sad. Will you be changing your handle since you’re no longer overly-invested?

I Love Lucy Waiting GIF by Paramount+

Cat Playing GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT