ADVERTISEMENT

Will our appearance in the NIT be considered a success?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
Yes, it will be the NIT. Sorry to break the bad news, but some would also consider it good news.

What do you think?

The final four will be in Vegas this year. That would be pretty cool.

For me, Depends on who has covid and how that affects them as players.

Vegas final four would be awesome.

Yes, it will be the NIT. Sorry to break the bad news, but some would also consider it good news.

What do you think?

I happen to agree that the NIT is a more likely outcome than NCAA, but 56 of the 73 prognosticators tracked on bracketmatrix still have NU in the big tourney as of today.

I’d be cool with a Vegas NIT trip though.

Reactions: drewjin
While it would be a drastic improvement from the BB wasteland we have been experiencing, we would be right back to where the program was into the 1st half of BC's tenure - basically, 3-4 seasons of losing interrupted by an NIT bid w/ an upperclass-laden team.

I think an NIT appearance would a) be a successful season relative to preseason expectations, and b) warrant a new head coach.

We’ve finally gotten the general approach right. Let’s find someone else who can recruit grit and effort and, perhaps, late game heroics.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I haven't written off another ten game slide yet. imho making the NIT would be a major improvement over the last few years. But it will also be a bummer unless the guys who can graduate/leave come back for a final year.

While it would be a drastic improvement from the BB wasteland we have been experiencing, we would be right back to where the program was into the 1st half of BC's tenure - basically, 3-4 seasons of losing interrupted by an NIT bid w/ an upperclass-laden team.
Exactly. It would basically be Carmody 2.0 (with the one glorious exception).

It will be really interesting to see what the administration does if we win 17-18 games. Heck, if Buie doesn't come back or Audige goes to the portal it will be really interesting to see what Collins does. He may never have a better chance of landing a head coach job than coming off an 18 win NIT season at Northwestern. His stock would be at the highest it's been in 5 years and he may explore other opportunities instead of slogging through another rebuild for 3 years and hoping senior year Barnhizer gets us back to the Tourney.

What do you think?

With this roster it would represent a HUGE coaching success. As for what to do with Collins… it would be a pretty big pickle. The team is older so it wouldn’t really portend coming future success and the last couple of years were such pathetic flops I’m not sure what it would really say about any positive future of the program. But can NU basketball fire a coach after an NIT season?

He’ll make Gragg’s life easier if he just does his usual collapse or ends up in the last four out or better.

With this roster it would represent a HUGE coaching success. As for what to do with Collins… it would be a pretty big pickle. The team is older so it wouldn’t really portend coming future success and the last couple of years were such pathetic flops I’m not sure what it would really say about any positive future of the program. But can NU basketball fire a coach after an NIT season?

He’ll make Gragg’s life easier if he just does his usual collapse or ends up in the last four out or better.
I think an NIT bid would buy one season.

I feel like this is sort of similar to where Carmody got stuck in the NIT treadmill (which seems like glory days compared to years since our NCAAT bid year).

If we don't make NCAAT or NIT the following year, Collins should be gone. Definitely would have to make the NCAAT to justify an extension of any sort. If he doesn't make the NCAAT before contract runs out, just go in a different direction.

Sorry but BC did not get to NIT till season 9. Did not get in in 2003/4 season because although we went 8-8 in conference we had an overall losing record

• Wow
Sorry but BC did not get to NIT till season 9. Did not get in in 2003/4 season because although we went 8-8 in conference we had an overall losing record

They collapsed down the stretch, which is probably why, but it was still surprising that they didn't get an NIT berth in 01-02, when they went 16-13 (7-9) and the old selection rules basically guaranteed that any high-major with a winning record would get in. Under the current rules, though, that team would definitely not have qualified, similar to Collins' 15-16 team.

They collapsed down the stretch, which is probably why, but it was still surprising that they didn't get an NIT berth in 01-02, when they went 16-13 (7-9) and the old selection rules basically guaranteed that any high-major with a winning record would get in. Under the current rules, though, that team would definitely not have qualified, similar to Collins' 15-16 team.
They were 14-15 in 2003/4 season Rules required winning (or at least .500) record overall. He also had advantage of more OOC games than we play since we went to 20 BIG games. and covid seasons. Last year we might have gone but for preseason game cancellations that cost 500 record

Silver lining: more home games for our raucous student section! (Unless the NIT is during spring break which I think it is)

They were 14-15 in 2003/4 season Rules required winning (or at least .500) record overall. He also had advantage of more OOC games than we play since we went to 20 BIG games. and covid seasons. Last year we might have gone but for preseason game cancellations that cost 500 record

I know what their record was in 2003-04, that's why I was talking about 01-02, when they actually did have a winning record and should have made the NIT.

I think an NIT appearance would a) be a successful season relative to preseason expectations, and b) warrant a new head coach.

We’ve finally gotten the general approach right. Let’s find someone else who can recruit grit and effort and, perhaps, late game heroics.
Who is going to play these games for this new coach? Next year is bleak enough.

Who is going to play these games for this new coach? Next year is bleak enough.
Nicholson / Martinelli / Barnhizer / Berry / Roper

Hunger may be the 4 instead of Martinelli.

Point guard is a potential problem. Buie may return. If not, we will be hoping incoming freshmen Parker Strauss and/or Jordan Clayton can play right away.

Beran may return too. He got his undergrad in 3 years and this is his 4th season.

I am choosing to believe that Barnhizer, Martinelli and Hunger all have more upside than Robbie, even if none of them have his shooting stroke.

If Buie comes back and we get anything from our freshmen or the transfer portal, we'll be a better team next year.

I know what their record was in 2003-04, that's why I was talking about 01-02, when they actually did have a winning record and should have made the NIT.
The BIG was not really that strong back then

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT