ADVERTISEMENT

Will Patrick Baldwin Jr Commit to Northwestern?

Will PBJ commit to Northwestern?

• Total voters
Then why not just say that rather than saying you don't believe anything Turk says? Turk's crazy, but he occasionally says something that makes some sense. I think you'd get a kick out of him if you actually met him.

Because I don’t believe anything he says.

Maybe but I hope he is right. PBJ is a game changer for this program. We welcome him with open arms. Sweet 16, elite eight, final four and national champions here we come . Sign up Pat

To bring it back on topic...

I am far from an expert at talent evaluation. Obviously PBJ is more skilled than any other high school prospect that has committed to NU bball in the time I've been following the Cats.

That said... is he *for sure* a one-and-done? Or might he need one year in college to learn and develop and grow stronger, then dominate and prove his lottery-pick potential as a soph?

Not sure if that would help or hurt NU's chances, necessarily, but just thought I'd throw that out for discussion.
The level of coaching that he would receive in the NBA would be far greater and more in-depth than any that he would receive in college at any program. Plus his focus would be diverted on schoolwork if he stayed... he can always get his degree after he’s wealthy beyond his dreams.

If he’s projected to be a lottery pick - much less top 3! - then he should go pro and not waste a second thinking about it. The one-and-done rule is ending soon anyway so in a couple of years this will be a moot point.

Then why not just say that rather than saying you don't believe anything Turk says? Turk's crazy, but he occasionally says something that makes some sense. I think you'd get a kick out of him if you actually met him.
Not speaking for Turk but I seriously doubt he would be the slightest interested in meeting gocatsgo or anyone else who has no humor and takes himself so serious.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and IGNORE2
The level of coaching that he would receive in the NBA would be far greater and more in-depth than any that he would receive in college at any program. Plus his focus would be diverted on schoolwork if he stayed... he can always get his degree after he’s wealthy beyond his dreams.

If he’s projected to be a lottery pick - much less top 3! - then he should go pro and not waste a second thinking about it. The one-and-done rule is ending soon anyway so in a couple of years this will be a moot point.

Seriously. He should just join the NBA G-League Select Team which is currently coached by Brian Shaw. He can develop his skills and benefit from the $125K salary.

Yes, I agree. But my question is whether he's currently projected as a lottery pick after one college season, or is the assumption that he will be a lottery pick *at some point*?

Yes, I agree. But my question is whether he's currently projected as a lottery pick after one college season, or is the assumption that he will be a lottery pick *at some point*?

Saw a mock draft and both PBJ and Christie were top five picks. IIRC, PBJ was the second pick.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I want Turk to be correct in his assessment. Having said that, my desire to objectively analyze the chances of PBJ coming to NU requires me to think out loud:

1. All the "experts" project him going to Duke. My thoughts about this: there is definitely a "blue-blood" bias in recruiting projections, similar to recruiting rankings. I can understand this from the experts' point of views: it is probably a safe bet to predict that 5-star players will go to Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc than to take a long shot that one will go to a program without the history. I also think that some experts are lazy in their homework - I've read quite a few articles about PBJ and Christie that either completely ignored their ties to NU or didn't recognize the full extent of those ties. So I am still taking these predictions with a grain of salt. I profess ignorance to where these experts typically get their information from, so it may well turn out that they are correct. In PBJ's case, I hope they are not.

2. I haven't been able to find anyone else on this board or anywhere else online who confirms what Turk is saying about PBJ. This is not to say that he is incorrect. I would just feel a whole lot better if there was some form of corroboration for what he is saying. Or if Turk would to reveal at least a hint of who his "source" is.

From what I have read on this board, I imagine that I am not alone in this - does anyone outside of Turk have any information that lends credence to his assertion?

3. I will say that what Turk says about PBJ sounds plausible, up until the point about walking on. The points about his connection to NU, Casey Simmons' commitment, etc, all sound reasonable and logical. I personally would be shocked if PBJ goes anywhere without a scholarship, however. I don't know of any precedence for that in college basketball - a highly rated (4-star or above) recruit being a walk-on? If someone knows of a previous example of this, please correct me.

Finally, a question: anyone know what PBJ's timeline is for announcing his final 5 or for his commitment announcement?

I want Turk to be correct in his assessment. Having said that, my desire to objectively analyze the chances of PBJ coming to NU requires me to think out loud:

1. All the "experts" project him going to Duke. My thoughts about this: there is definitely a "blue-blood" bias in recruiting projections, similar to recruiting rankings. I can understand this from the experts' point of views: it is probably a safe bet to predict that 5-star players will go to Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc than to take a long shot that one will go to a program without the history. I also think that some experts are lazy in their homework - I've read quite a few articles about PBJ and Christie that either completely ignored their ties to NU or didn't recognize the full extent of those ties. So I am still taking these predictions with a grain of salt. I profess ignorance to where these experts typically get their information from, so it may well turn out that they are correct. In PBJ's case, I hope they are not.

2. I haven't been able to find anyone else on this board or anywhere else online who confirms what Turk is saying about PBJ. This is not to say that he is incorrect. I would just feel a whole lot better if there was some form of corroboration for what he is saying. Or if Turk would to reveal at least a hint of who his "source" is.

From what I have read on this board, I imagine that I am not alone in this - does anyone outside of Turk have any information that lends credence to his assertion?

3. I will say that what Turk says about PBJ sounds plausible, up until the point about walking on. The points about his connection to NU, Casey Simmons' commitment, etc, all sound reasonable and logical. I personally would be shocked if PBJ goes anywhere without a scholarship, however. I don't know of any precedence for that in college basketball - a highly rated (4-star or above) recruit being a walk-on? If someone knows of a previous example of this, please correct me.

Finally, a question: anyone know what PBJ's timeline is for announcing his final 5 or for his commitment announcement?
Ask Wicker/turk.

If he has the option to go straight to the NBA, he should definitely do that. However, it's unlikely that the one and done rule will be eliminated until the new NBA collective bargaining agreement in 2024 so it's not in play for PBJ.

Ask Wicker/turk.
Alot of original things have happened.
Like a #75 rated 4 star committing to us "sight unseen". Lets not take anything away from Collins but our all time highest ranked recruit from the rivals database didnt even step on campus. On the face, that is really odd, unless the recruit heard a little chirpping in the air.
Turk says its been between NU and his fathers school or the badgers.
I cant see him going to the badgers though.
And Duke has been out for a month according to Turk.
I gotta think he is ours to lose.

Alot of original things have happened.
Like a #75 rated 4 star committing to us "sight unseen". Lets not take anything away from Collins but our all time highest ranked recruit from the rivals database didnt even step on campus. On the face, that is really odd, unless the recruit heard a little chirpping in the air.
Turk says its been between NU and his fathers school or the badgers.
I cant see him going to the badgers though.
And Duke has been out for a month according to Turk.
I gotta think he is ours to lose.
I see Brandon Weston at #75 on Rivals. Two NU recruits at #139 and #141. Which one are you talking about?

I see Brandon Weston at #75 on Rivals. Two NU recruits at #139 and #141. Which one are you talking about?

Probably Simmons. I think he’s top 100 in ESPN and 247. May have dropped since signing; usually what happens with these sites (“Northwestern bump”).

Probably Simmons. I think he’s top 100 in ESPN and 247. May have dropped since signing; usually what happens with these sites (“Northwestern bump”).
Simmons was below #80 if I remember correctly on 247 but Im sure he sank after his commit here. 247 keeps a history of rankings. Either way, Im glad he chose us.

Simmons was below #80 if I remember correctly on 247 but Im sure he sank after his commit here. 247 keeps a history of rankings. Either way, Im glad he chose us.
Look, I am not the only one who has been told that Duke was "out" about a month or so ago. I think Simmons heard a first hand bird chirping. My info is definitely second hand but it came from a credible source. But this isn't a Turk thing, others know quite well about this but they aren't broadcasting it. In some ways, I can get away with broadcasting it while others can't because I don't seek credit or don't give a damn about credit, thus I'm really not credible. But some things have to be worked out is all I was told about NU but that Collins should feel good. I feel good about this but Duke is out. And it had nothing to do with this new Duke investigation.

I hope your right Turk as this will signal a new day in NU basketball

Look, I am not the only one who has been told that Duke was "out" about a month or so ago. I think Simmons heard a first hand bird chirping. My info is definitely second hand but it came from a credible source. But this isn't a Turk thing, others know quite well about this but they aren't broadcasting it. In some ways, I can get away with broadcasting it while others can't because I don't seek credit or don't give a damn about credit, thus I'm really not credible. But some things have to be worked out is all I was told about NU but that Collins should feel good. I feel good about this but Duke is out. And it had nothing to do with this new Duke investigation.

You have a poor track record with predictions but in this case I hope your "sources" are correct. I always get a little doubtful when you get in your conspiratorial mode while citing top secret deep state connections, but I'll play along this time.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
FWIW, Caleb Houstan, a 5* F just reclassified from 2022 to 2021. He is considered a heavy Duke lean

FWIW, Caleb Houstan, a 5* F just reclassified from 2022 to 2021. He is considered a heavy Duke lean

That is interesting! Looks like a similar skillset to PBJ. Not that two guys like that can't play together, but...

I am far from an expert at talent evaluation. Obviously PBJ is more skilled than any other high school prospect that has committed to NU bball in the time I've been following the Cats.

That said... is he *for sure* a one-and-done? Or might he need one year in college to learn and develop and grow stronger, then dominate and prove his lottery-pick potential as a soph?

Not sure if that would help or hurt NU's chances, necessarily, but just thought I'd throw that out for discussion.

He's a one and done.

freewillie07 said:

He's a one and done.
[/quote]
Then he won’t get through admissions. Because they only admit applicants that demonstrate they will graduate. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Max_Power
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT