ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin will not allow its spring sport seniors to return in 2021

this will be VERY common. i don't think people realize the cost, logistics involved combined with how bad places are hurting for money.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
They should be able to. The NCAA gave eligibility to all spring sport seniors. The NCAA left it all up to the schools to decide for themselves
I think I read somewhere that the extra year of eligibility cannot be used to transfer, but I can't recall where.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I'm thinking about the smaller sports like tennis. The scholarship money is obviously a big issue. But I'm also thinking about the day to day practice and competition. Will there be enough practice time (number of tennis courts) and playing time for everyone if you had five classes of athletes on the roster. It sucks for this year's senior class who missed out on the ability to compete. But if they stay an extra year, then it sucks for the current juniors who will be next year's senior class.

At a lot of smaller schools, this is undoubtedly true. At Wisconsin (or any B1G school)? Buuuulllllllshiiiiiiitttteeee
Or it could be that they have commitments for all of their scholarships with incoming FROSH. In many cases we do not because we are not even using all available slots.

Or it could be that they have commitments for all of their scholarships with incoming FROSH. In many cases we do not because we are not even using all available slots.
Pretty sure the NCAA announced they would expand the allowable number of scholarships to deal with this.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I think that’s the answer why Wisky and others will not invite seniors back. I guess the caveat would be if a team title is assured?
Why would it be a revenue decision? Are college sports about revenue??? Seems like if they are, players should get a cut.

Regardless, Alvarez, Chryst and Gard combine to make what..$10M? They can't take defer 10% of that for a year to provide liquidity to fund these scholarships and operations? Complete bull.

i think most are under estimating the cost of brining those students back, and how much money was lost from ncaa march madess

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...rt-athletes-come-existing-budgets/5126803002/

not only do i think most schools WON'T be bringing any seniors back. i would be shocked if there wasn't a hand full of schools, including P5 schools that will cut staff and potentially drop sports. and if football is somehow not brought back, there will be cataclysmic changes in college sports. most DII and DIII schools get money from march madess and football on the DI level. many athletic departments run in the red. schools are bleeding money right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/

Reactions: runawayCat
i think most are under estimating the cost of brining those students back, and how much money was lost from ncaa march madess

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...rt-athletes-come-existing-budgets/5126803002/

not only do i think most schools WON'T be bringing any seniors back. i would be shocked if there wasn't a hand full of schools, including P5 schools that will cut staff and potentially drop sports. and if football is somehow not brought back, there will be cataclysmic changes in college sports. most DII and DIII schools get money from march madess and football on the DI level. many athletic departments run in the red. schools are bleeding money right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/
Jeff Brohm makes $5M+ a year, Matt Painter is at $3M+ a year and their AD is at about $1M a year. I have some ideas about how Purdue can find some money for these costs...

It's not just the SRs who get another year of eligibility, but everyone who missed out.

Then you have coaches like Gundy and Dabo pushing to start as soon as possible b/c the local economy needs the games.

Why would a bunch of amateurs/students be so crucial to a local economy?

It should be pretty clear who is driving the revenue for college sports.

dSOU's AD, Smith and to his credit Kiffin, have stated that if it is not safe for fans to be in the stands, then it isn't safe for the players.

As for the cost of schollies, schools make out better from athletic schollies as the athletic dept. pays the full freight (of what is an inflated #).

For the majority of students, schools are giving a certain amount of aid, lowering the cost.

One good thing out if this is that it may finally put a halt to the race of ever growing compensation packages to not only head coaches, but assistant coaches.

While Dabo is good about talking about how he cares for his players, if he really did, he wouldn't be so against sharing the wealth a little.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT