ADVERTISEMENT

With NIL, What's to stop...?

Not paid!? It’s called a free ride WITH perks. If you don’t like the deal, don’t play college ball. Nobody is forcing anyone to do it. Changing the system because of greed only destroys the experience we grew up loving. A pro league already exists.
If you hadn't noticed, the game "we grew up loving" has changed significantly, with or without NIL rules opening up. The college degree is a significant portion of what is being offered for NU commits, we know that - but we also know that it isn't as significant of a concern for some others, such as top football players and most notably 1 and dones for basketball. The fact that you want to restrict them from being able to make money of their own success strikes me as highly un-American. If an individual employer wanted to restrict me from making money on the side from a blog or something, that's one thing, then I could go elsewhere. But if the entire industry made a rule saying that is not allowed... but unless that was determined by a government or regulatory rule (which would be legitimate, within reason), such an industry-wide rule would be illegal as that's cartel / collusive behavior toward employees.

The new system will not be perfect, but sticking your head in the sand is not the answer IMO, as significant changes to the game are happening with or without NIL. Oh and btw the highest court in the country with the smartest judges ruled (9-0!!) that you can't prohibit students from profiting from NIL, so it's a thing from a legal perspective anyways.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
If you hadn't noticed, the game "we grew up loving" has changed significantly, with or without NIL rules opening up. The college degree is a significant portion of what is being offered for NU commits, we know that - but we also know that it isn't as significant of a concern for some others, such as top football players and most notably 1 and dones for basketball. The fact that you want to restrict them from being able to make money of their own success strikes me as highly un-American. If an individual employer wanted to restrict me from making money on the side from a blog or something, that's one thing, then I could go elsewhere. But if the entire industry made a rule saying that is not allowed... but unless that was determined by a government or regulatory rule (which would be legitimate, within reason), such an industry-wide rule would be illegal as that's cartel / collusive behavior toward employees.

The new system will not be perfect, but sticking your head in the sand is not the answer IMO, as significant changes to the game are happening with or without NIL. Oh and btw the highest court in the country with the smartest judges ruled (9-0!!) that you can't prohibit students from profiting from NIL, so it's a thing from a legal perspective anyways.
“Sticking your head in the sand“? Such respect for your opponent! So cliché! C’mon, Wildcats! We can do better.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat

So let’s nuke amateur collegiate sports because a degree isn’t significant to some players? That’s odd considering we’re talking about COLLEGE!

So let’s nuke amateur collegiate sports because a degree isn’t significant to some players? That’s odd considering we’re talking about COLLEGE!
And they wonder why our education system is crumbling. Could it be because we don’t value an education?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: FeralFelidae
And they wonder why our education system is crumbling. Could it be because we don’t value an education
People take out loans and put themselves under tremendous debt to attend college, and here we have student-athletes being offered the opportunity to avoid all this debt.

Where did this idea come from that athletic scholarships aren't offering something of value for compensation?

Reactions: StreamCat
People take out loans and put themselves under tremendous debt to attend college, and here we have student-athletes being offered the opportunity to avoid all this debt.

Where did this idea come from that athletic scholarships aren't offering something of value for compensation?
pay the workers!

.... Oh and btw the highest court in the country with the smartest judges ruled (9-0!!) that you can't prohibit students from profiting from NIL, so it's a thing from a legal perspective anyways....
However, there was nothing in that ruling, absolutely nothing, that said it was a good idea to have NIL promotions or that it was an improvement. The Court only said that it couldn't be prohibited.

The argument here is not over its legality. That has been settled. The argument now is over its merits and the effect it will have on college sports by smearing the line between professional players and non-professionals.

And of much importance, which has been largely ignored here, is the effect it will have on all players performance and ultimately the game itself.

However, there was nothing in that ruling, absolutely nothing, that said it was a good idea to have NIL promotions or that it was an improvement. The Court only said that it couldn't be prohibited.

The argument here is not over its legality. That has been settled. The argument now is over its merits and the effect it will have on college sports by smearing the line between professional players and non-professionals.

And of much importance, which has been largely ignored here, is the effect it will have on all players performance and ultimately the game itself.
I thought the SCOTUS only ruled on "educational expenses" and didn't rule specifically on NIL.

The NIL thing, I thought, was something that Newsome signed into law in California and, after the SCOTUS ruling on educational expenses, the NCAA just decided on their own to cave on the NIL thing rather than try to fight it in the courts.

I think you are right about the actual SCOTUS ruling. It didn't specifically address NIL. However, I was responding to ricko654321 who said:

..."Oh and btw the highest court in the country with the smartest judges ruled (9-0!!) that you can't prohibit students from profiting from NIL, so it's a thing from a legal perspective anyways"....

I think you are right about the actual SCOTUS ruling. It didn't specifically address NIL. However, I was responding to ricko654321 who said:

..."Oh and btw the highest court in the country with the smartest judges ruled (9-0!!) that you can't prohibit students from profiting from NIL, so it's a thing from a legal perspective anyways"....
And ricko's post that you were responding to seems to claim that SCOTUS ruled on something that they didn't rule on. I just wanted to clear the misconceptions.

And ricko's post that you were responding to seems to claim that SCOTUS ruled on something that they didn't rule on. I just wanted to clear the misconceptions.
I'm not certain, but I seem to recall from previous posts that ricko is an attorney. So I pretty much accepted his comment about the SCOTUS ruling without much question.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT