ADVERTISEMENT

WLax 2023 Schedule - Playing all the best teams

BarefootCat

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
Pretty incredible schedule for WLax. Playing all the best teams. Likely the toughest schedule in the NCAA.

What’s the atmosphere like for LAX? I’m thinking maybe I’ll make the trip in for a game this year (though, yeesh, only one home game in April).

They're a lot of fun. Not too many students though there is usually a contingent of football players at games given they're up at the Fieldhouse a good portion of the day anyway. Lots of grade school and high school age girls. I think the season ticket base is a lot of the old timers (I guess I qualify lol) that basically have ST's for every sport. Obviously a good chunk of crowd is parents (of both teams).

Don't lock yourself into a Martin Stadium April game. Indoor games at the Fieldhouse are very nice.

They're a lot of fun. Not too many students though there is usually a contingent of football players at games given they're up at the Fieldhouse a good portion of the day anyway. Lots of grade school and high school age girls. I think the season ticket base is a lot of the old timers (I guess I qualify lol) that basically have ST's for every sport. Obviously a good chunk of crowd is parents (of both teams).

Don't lock yourself into a Martin Stadium April game. Indoor games at the Fieldhouse are very nice.
See, I’m such a good lax fan I had no idea NU played indoors…I watch a maximum of two games a year at this point.

Do they preschedule in or out, or is it simply based on weather?

I wish NU would start a men's team. The fieldhouse would make NU a popular early season location for many of the northern powers in February and March. Although the demographics of the sport are changing, the cost of an NU education would not deter many players from the traditional powers. NU has the facilities in place and the men's team could be built on the coattails of the women's team. They even have a convenient men's coach in assistant coach Scott Hiller. 12.6 scholarships do not go very far in a 35-40 man roster but Duke and ND have made it work.

If NU started a team, the carpetbagging JHU Bluejays could be booted out of the B1G

Reactions: High Hopes Cat
If NU started a team, the carpetbagging JHU Bluejays could be booted out of the B1G
If NU started a men's team, I would want to keep Johns Hopkins in the B1G. They're a lacrosse power and, since they're also an academic power, if it opens any doors to cooperation on that front, that's a good thing.

I wish NU would start a men's team. The fieldhouse would make NU a popular early season location for many of the northern powers in February and March. Although the demographics of the sport are changing, the cost of an NU education would not deter many players from the traditional powers. NU has the facilities in place and the men's team could be built on the coattails of the women's team. They even have a convenient men's coach in assistant coach Scott Hiller. 12.6 scholarships do not go very far in a 35-40 man roster but Duke and ND have made it work.

What sport would you downgrade? I’d vote men’s swimming and diving.

If NU started a men's team, I would want to keep Johns Hopkins in the B1G. They're a lacrosse power and, since they're also an academic power, if it opens any doors to cooperation on that front, that's a good thing.
You have not experienced JHU fans. JHU lacrosse has declined in recent years but at its' height, JHU fans felt they were the entitled royalty of lacrosse and expected to be treated as such. If JHU lost, they were intolerable whiners.

JHU lacrosse was grandfathered into D1 but their other sports do not have to comply with D1 responsibilities that other schools must adhere to.

The only B1G sports that NU women don't currently compete in are Track, Gymnastics and Rowing.
Who said it has to be a B1G sport? They just need to balance the men's schollies with the women's; the conference doesn't matter. NU has a beach; they could field a beach volleyball team. They could field a rifle team.

Women's bowling could be added- no cost for facilities and that gets NU 5 equivalent scholarships
Riflery gets another 3.6 I am sure NU could use Great Lakes and maintain an armory there.
Archery may count for 5

NU would be an independent in these sports

Gymnastics would get 12 and is a B1G sport and would balance men's lacrosse 12.6

NU might even find a FB player among its' lacrosse players-several have made the NFL and others played at the college level. Chris Hogan(PSU/Bills/Pats) , Jared Bernhardt(UMD/Falcons), Patrick Kerney(UVA/Falcons-AllPro DL)

Reactions: FeralFelidae
As I've stated several times before, that's a dumb idea.

If we add men’s lacrosse something has to go in order to balance Title IX. We can downgrade swimming and diving like we did men’s fencing. Heck, we don’t even have a men’s cross country team. I prefer to keep wrestling along with men’s tennis and golf. What other options are there if we are going to add men’s lacrosse?

If we add men’s lacrosse something has to go in order to balance Title IX. We can downgrade swimming and diving like we did men’s fencing. Heck, we don’t even have a men’s cross country team. I prefer to keep wrestling along with men’s tennis and golf. What other options are there if we are going to add men’s lacrosse?
Adding more women's teams.

The other option would be not adding men's lacrosse. Men's lacrosse is a much different animal than women's lacrosse, and I believe it would take us a long time to be a factor nationally Plus, we have a rich history of highly successful men's swimmers, including NCAA and Olympic champions.

The other option would be not adding men's lacrosse. Men's lacrosse is a much different animal than women's lacrosse, and I believe it would take us a long time to be a factor nationally Plus, we have a rich history of highly successful men's swimmers, including NCAA and Olympic champions.

Not a realistic option. No way the University is adding to the budget. Cost of scholarship is way to expensive. As for Men’s LAX expectations, I’ll defer to @docrugby1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT