ADVERTISEMENT

WLAX vs Penn St

'Cats beat fifth-ranked Penn (No State) 17-13. NU improves to 8-3.

Alvious ... have you attended the games? What do you see? Cats were outscored in the second half and permitted a five goal run by Penn toward the end.

I can't ever tell anything about the team from news coverage, especially on the defensive side. The only thing that stands out to me is that the freshman Izzy Scane is a welcome force. Any reason to suppose that they will ramp up back in the direction of their powerhouse days? Thanks for your posts.

Last edited:
Alvious ... have you attended the games? What do you see? Cats were outscored in the second half and permitted a five goal run by Penn toward the end.

I can't ever tell anything about the team from news coverage, especially on the defensive side. The only thing that stands out to me is that the freshman Izzy Scane is a welcome force. Any reason to suppose that they will ramp up back in the direction of their powerhouse days? Thanks for your posts.

I wasn't able to attend the Penn game, but I've made it to about 3 games so far this year. I'm a newbie to the sport so I can't give any brilliant insight, unfortunately. I just show up to support the 'Cats. And to see the inside of Ryan Fieldhouse, of course.;)

Reactions: AsburyArchive

If a team gets a big lead, they often go into a more protective mode with the idea of not giving up easy quick scores. . This often leads to a team giving up a scoring run while preserving a lead. The prevent D of Lacrosse. Maybe that is what happened

If a team gets a big lead, they often go into a more protective mode with the idea of not giving up easy quick scores. . This often leads to a team giving up a scoring run while preserving a lead. The prevent D of Lacrosse. Maybe that is what happened

Thanks ... I think that's a valid slant. I have to add that a day or so after my post I read the InsideNU story on the game and read that Penn was actually ranked higher than NU before that game. I didn't realize that Penn had such a good team this year -- it changes my perspective on the game and supports your premise.

There used to be a terrific poster on Laxpower.com (now defunct) named "Slides" who was an NU fan and really understood the game. Really helped me understand the team and the dynamics. I wish he would post here - or anywhere really - it would be great to get some insightful reporting again.

The Cats can score goals in a hurry. They have a lot of offensive weapons, most notably Selena Lasota, who has a howitzer of a shot. Their problems have been on defense when they play against the better teams.

There used to be a terrific poster on Laxpower.com (now defunct) named "Slides" who was an NU fan and really understood the game. Really helped me understand the team and the dynamics. I wish he would post here - or anywhere really - it would be great to get some insightful reporting again.

Slides was a lacrosse season ticket holder until a couple of years ago and was a regular at our lacrosse tailgate (until Taj Fitz happened and the parking lot was gone).
He was an absolutely brilliant guy who started watching lacrosse when he worked at Princeton (as curator of their art "slides" collection. "Slide" also being a lacrosse defensive move ) And he soon became an avid student of the game. When he moved to Chicago a few years ago, he naturally adopted Kelly's laxers as his new team. He knew all the players' tendencies on all the ranked teams and was a voter on one of the national polls. He also was a frequent contributor to Inside Lacrosse magazine, writing on women's collegiate lacrosse. We miss him personally, and his cogent commentary as well.

Reactions: AsburyArchive
On BTN right now vs #2 Maryland if anyone's interested. Maryland has never lost a BIG regular season game...

EDIT: Lightning delay now, tied at 12, second half...moving the game indoors apparently.

EDIT: Ugh, was afraid moving indoors would not help us, as we appeared to be handling the weather conditions much better than Maryland. And indeed, they outscored us 5-1 indoors fr a 17-13 victory. Sucks, thought we had a good shot at finally breaking their BIG winning streak...

Last edited:
On BTN right now vs #2 Maryland if anyone's interested. Maryland has never lost a BIG regular season game...

EDIT: Lightning delay now, tied at 12, second half...moving the game indoors apparently.

EDIT: Ugh, was afraid moving indoors would not help us, as we appeared to be handling the weather conditions much better than Maryland. And indeed, they outscored us 5-1 indoors fr a 17-13 victory. Sucks, thought we had a good shot at finally breaking their BIG winning streak...

I was at the game, and after a 3 goal lead, our level of play declined along with the weather. Some player's parents sitting behind me compared it to one of their New England Nor'easters. Usually we start out slow and catch up, and then take the lead. But Maryland is in that top 4 that we just haven't been able to crack the past few years. And they have a phenomenal goalie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT