ADVERTISEMENT

Woah. Randy Bates to Pitt as D Coordinator.

What about Vanderlinen?

With apologies for the double-response... I had forgotten that Vanderlinden was DL coach at Colorado when Hank was DC in the late 1980s.

The relationships are certainly there if Fitz wants to try bringing back his old mentor/position coach/boss.

Reactions: nu greek
Pitt had 5 starters out........ just sayin!

National championships? Pitt 9. NW 0

Let’s not get ahead of yourselves. You guys got a pretty decent program.
Waaaaaa waaaaaa

I’ll be honest, had to look up that stat. 1976 was a looooong time ago.

Last edited:

Including your QB Peterman, yea? The guy that threw 5 picks against the Chargers? You still lost to a bunch of nerds wearing purple................just sayin!

And that last national championship, when was that? ‘75? I’m sure the class of 2019 cares more about that than the 5-7 record y’all compiled this year. Good effort, though. Things are heading in the right direction!

Last edited:
With apologies for the double-response... I had forgotten that Vanderlinden was DL coach at Colorado when Hank was DC in the late 1980s.

The relationships are certainly there if Fitz wants to try bringing back his old mentor/position coach/boss.

I'm thinking McGarigle will be next in line for DC after Hankwitz retires. It's a good situation for Tim to learn under the master for the next 3-5 years.

Thanks to you and joeydavid for coming to our forum to gloat that you took a position coach from us to become one of your coordinators. Says a lot about the quality of coaches you have if you have to stoop so low as to poach from NU. Come back whenever you are relevant again. I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: NUCat320

Ask yourself this: Would Bates have left NU for Pitt for a LB coach position? I bet you know the answer...

Agree. B1G loss. But this is a hallmark of many good programs: good coaches move on.
Agreed. It was not that long ago that we lost our OC to become a position coach at Oklahoma. Now a position coach moves to DC at Pitt. This shows progress in the program and Fitz’s Staff perception.

Reactions: scru
Agreed. It was not that long ago that we lost our OC to become a position coach at Oklahoma. Now a position coach moves to DC at Pitt. This shows progress in the program and Fitz’s Staff perception.

Or it just shows the difference between Oklahoma and Pitt.

Or it just shows the difference between Oklahoma and Pitt.
I would go with a combination. Yes. Oklahoma has s a premier program but I still found it embarrassing that our OC went there to become a position coach (although it did end up being a route to HC for him). One of our position coaches leaving for a DC job at a comparable program looks good for us.

I would go with a combination. Yes. Oklahoma has s a premier program but I still found it embarrassing that our OC went there to become a position coach (although it did end up being a route to HC for him). One of our position coaches leaving for a DC job at a comparable program looks good for us.

I get your point.

But, as noted above, Pitt is hardly a comparable program. But, yeah, I get what you're saying.

Reactions: NewBocacat
I get your point.

But, as noted above, Pitt is hardly a comparable program. But, yeah, I get what you're saying.

And we’re all blind to the inside discussions that may also have contributed to his leaving for OU. He did have a few issues with style and communication and may have been encouraged to leave. Who knows?

He left for the OC position at Oklahoma, not a position coach job.

I don't know why we Cats fans are getting into a pissing contest with Pitt fans. After considering the situation, Bates going to Pitt is probably in the best interest of the three parties - Pitt gets a very good coach and recruiter, Bates gets a promotion and another shot to be DC, and NU can groom some young energetic coaches for current and future roles. I am getting the sense that Bates was not considered as a successor to Hank as DC at NU so don't blame him for moving on.

Army and U of Chicago used to have great football programs when none of us were alive too.

Actually, Northwestern had probably its best stretch ever from the mid-'20s into the '40s if we want to go way back. Won four Big Ten titles in the '20s and '30s, beat your buddies the Ohio State Buckeyes four times in a row at one point, upset a No. 1 Minnesota team, were ranked several times during that period and finished in the top 10 in Otto Graham's senior year and capped things off by winning the '48 Rose Bowl.

Stole my Thunder Purple Book Cat. Vandy coming back here would be a vertical move from the AFA (no offense) and would be a GREAT hire and bolster an already solid staff (not to mention would help mentor the DB coach)

Reactions: willycat
I get your point.

Nothing against NU.

Although I don't understand the disparagement of Pitt by many of the NU fans.

Therefore, for comparison purposes I would encourage you or any other NU fan to compare/list the number of Consensus All-Americans, College Football Hall of Fame Players, Pro Football Hall of Hall of Fame Players and 1st Round Draft Picks our respective schools have produced.

I don't think anyone from NU will take up this challenge because they know that Pitt will win on all categories mentioned above.

Looking forward to your LB coach taking over as our new DC.

Good Luck next year in football.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: sherepower
Nothing against NU.

Therefore, for comparison purposes I would encourage you or any other NU fan to compare/list the number of Consensus All-Americans, College Football Hall of Fame Players, Pro Football Hall of Hall of Fame Players and 1st Round Draft Picks our respective schools have produced.

I don't think anyone from NU will take up this challenge because they know that Pitt will win on all categories mentioned above.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Yes, you have a long and storied history whose feats we can only aspire to meet one day. So does Army and the U of Chicago.

Where the two programs are today is a different story, as evidenced by the outcome of our last meeting and results of this most recent season. Let's just say that Pitt isn't the source of inspiration for us in terms of where we want to get to. Nothing against Pitt, and good luck next year in football.

Nothing against NU.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Nothing against Pitt (I live in Pa., after all), but you've had a couple of trollers come over to our board and give us disrespect. I've been over to the Pitt board and made a couple of positive posts about Bates. I'm frankly surprised by the number of posters over there who seem to think Bates is some kind of minor-league hire. If you don't understand the disparagement of Pitt, I'm equally puzzled that Pitt fans apparently have almost zero knowledge of what goes on at NU. I guess we tend to follow our own teams and leagues to the exclusion of all others. We're used to being ignored at NU, where we've just had one of the greatest backs in the history of NCAA football (Justin Jackson) who will graduate with little publicity at the national level.

As far as going into the past, that is relatively a meaningless statement concerning where the teams are now. The view of Northwestern football is lightweight is due to the incredible Dark Ages period we had from the '70s through the early '90s when indifferent administrators and poor support for athletics all but killed the program. That period ended in 1995, and the Cats have generally been competitive since. Northwestern actually was something of a powerhouse from the mid-'20s into the '40s and would have been willing to take on all comers at that time. The Ara Parseghian teams of the '50s and early '60s had some good victories playing some of the toughest schedules in the country with OOC schedules like Notre Dame, USC and UCLA in the same season. Ara, Pappy Waldorf and Alex Agase are three of our coaches who are in the college Hall of Fame.

And I believe Fitz will keep us winning in the future, despite the fact that admissions standards for our players are probably among the two-three highest in the country and we are consistently one of the top teams in the country in graduation rate for athletes.

Good luck to you.

He left for the OC position at Oklahoma, not a position coach job.
He also took our OL coach (James Patton) for the same position for about double the money. Would like to see him as our OL coach again. Oh that is right, PITT hired him too

Reactions: IGNORE2
Nothing against NU.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Wanny. That's all you need to know about the recent past

He also took our OL coach (James Patton) for the same position for about double the money. Would like to see him as our OL coach again. Oh that is right, PITT hired him too

Patton is/was a QC at Pitt. That basically means he couldn’t find a full-time gig he liked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT