ADVERTISEMENT

women to WNIT

Hmm, I wonder why they accepted this season when they've declined in other seasons.

Hmm, I wonder why they accepted this season when they've declined in other seasons.

sometimes if teams are beaten up by injury or there is bad team chemistry to finish the year they will decline. if the athletes are not excited to continue playing, there is no reason to play

sometimes if teams are beaten up by injury or there is bad team chemistry to finish the year they will decline. if the athletes are not excited to continue playing, there is no reason to play
Though I could be wrong here since I am posting this off the top of my head, but I believe they only declined in one year, when a player committed suicide. Hard to fault them for that.

Reactions: ricko654321
Home vs. Dayton on Thursday
Awesome-- now 4 postseason appearances in 6 years, including one after a total rebuild where they lost 3 1,000 pt. scorers, including one to the first round of the WNBA draft...

And I believe we also declined a bid during that period, so it would have been 5 in 6 years (see above).

Awesome-- now 4 postseason appearances in 6 years, including one after a total rebuild where they lost 3 1,000 pt. scorers, including one to the first round of the WNBA draft...

And I believe we also declined a bid during that period, so it would have been 5 in 6 years (see above).

I'm sorry, but regularly appearing in the WNIT is not good enough (I know one of the postseason appearances you're referencing is the NCAA Tournament). The WNIT inexplicably includes 64 teams so as long as we're .500 or better we're in. We should be better than that.

This year's team was close, as we've discussed. Next year's team really needs to make the NCAA Tournament or I would hope JMcK is on the hot seat (and if JP leaves then all bets are off).

Reactions: Pukecat
I'm sorry, but regularly appearing in the WNIT is not good enough (I know one of the postseason appearances you're referencing is the NCAA Tournament). The WNIT inexplicably includes 64 teams so as long as we're .500 or better we're in. We should be better than that.

This year's team was close, as we've discussed. Next year's team really needs to make the NCAA Tournament or I would hope JMcK is on the hot seat (and if JP leaves then all bets are off).
How quickly we forget the 43-game conference losing streak before Joe arrived and rescued the program from the ashes of a great dumpster fire....

How quickly we forget the 43-game conference losing streak before Joe arrived and rescued the program from the ashes of a great dumpster fire....

Oh please, you are in Coach's lap on this one. Unless you're competing for the conference title, it doesn't matter much if you're in the lower half or dead last.

I agree with you 100%. We're bringing in solid recruits but can't sniff a conference title. People can scapegoat injuries but every school has them.

Oh please, you are in Coach's lap on this one. Unless you're competing for the conference title, it doesn't matter much if you're in the lower half or dead last.
It doesn't matter if you lose 43 conference games in a row? Got it, good talk. We've won one conference title in 44 years, btw.

It doesn't matter if you lose 43 conference games in a row? Got it, good talk. We've won one conference title in 44 years, btw.

Combs was our coach TEN years ago. Olkowski 15 years ago. You're living in the past if you think that's remotely relevant.

Also, I'm asking you once again to refrain from your name calling. It reflects poorly on your character.

Combs was our coach TEN years ago. Olkowski 15 years ago. You're living in the past if you think that's remotely relevant.

Also, I'm asking you once again to refrain from your name calling. It reflects poorly on your character.

If you continue to troll and attack coaches, I will continue to do what I do. Have a problem with it? Take it up with the mods.

I know the program is in better shape that is was in maybe forever, but NU does need to keep advancing where they legitimately contend for the tourney most years. The expectation eventually needs to advance beyond being horrible to mediocre.

When was the last time there were only 6 returning scholarship players and zero experienced Centers? I think the program was in a much better place 2 years ago than it is now. I don't see how anyone can say that right now the program is in a better place than ever before when in fact it is coming of a 14th place finish and facing a season that could be equally challenging.
Isn't this thread about the women? Abby Wolfe will be a fine starting center for us next year.

When was the last time there were only 6 returning scholarship players and zero experienced Centers? I think the program was in a much better place 2 years ago than it is now. I don't see how anyone can say that right now the program is in a better place than ever before when in fact it is coming of a 14th place finish and facing a season that could be equally challenging.
This is the WNIT thread.

If you continue to troll and attack coaches, I will continue to do what I do. Have a problem with it? Take it up with the mods.

It’s too bad that you’ve become completely unhinged. I’ve never ever “attacked” coaches. I’m simply disappointed in Coach McKeown’s performance. Show me a single post in which I personally attacked him or any Coach. In many men’s threads, I have repeatedly backed Coach Collins and said the team will be good in a few years if he can retain the current frosh. Coach McKeown has had his run and it should end; the team is no longer making progress.

If you’re going to resort to petty name calling and false accusations, I’m sorry but I’m not interested in that and nobody else is, either. You’ve had a tough year with underachieving results by our basketball teams. Maybe you need a vacation.

I know the program is in better shape that is was in maybe forever, but NU does need to keep advancing where they legitimately contend for the tourney most years. The expectation eventually needs to advance beyond being horrible to mediocre.

They’re definitely mediocre now, which is good, but our university has a lot of selling points for women’s sports and coaches of those sports at NU are pretty successful overall—from golf to field hockey to lacrosse to tennis to fencing to softball. It’s time to take a step up in WBB.

They’re definitely mediocre now, which is good, but our university has a lot of selling points for women’s sports and coaches of those sports at NU are pretty successful overall—from golf to field hockey to lacrosse to tennis to fencing to softball. It’s time to take a step up in WBB.
I appreciate what Joe has done and agree the time is here for the next step. If it is Joe, that great, if the team regresses, then you need to consider other options. Next year should be a tourney bid.

Reactions: Pukecat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT