ADVERTISEMENT

Would love some Wildcat fan input

badgermaniac3

Oct 27, 2023
I have a collegiate/Big Ten tabletop basketball game that I have dabbled in over the years and I am currently in the rewrite process. Part of that process is updating the card set for the most recently played Big Ten season.

Most of the cards are based on pure statistical output, but there is one set of ratings that I need some help with, and that is Defensive value. I know there are a number of defensive metrics out there, but all include elements such as steals and blocked shots and those are already accounted for in the game system.

What I am looking for is how effective a player is at locking down and forcing opponents to take contested shots. I have my own opinions, but as a Badger fan, I simply don't watch your team play as much or with as critical an eye as you do.

Rank these players from best to worst in terms of their on the ball defensive value without taking into account blocks, steals, or rebounding. I can take it from there.

Buie
Audige
Berry
Barnhizer
Beran
Nicholson
Verhoeven
Roper
Marinelli

Thanks so much for your time.

Last edited:
I have a collegiate/Big Ten tabletop basketball game that I have dabbled in over the years and I am currently in the rewrite process. Part of that process is updating the card set for the most recently played Big Ten season.

Most of the cards are based on pure statistical output, but there is one set of ratings that I need some help with, and that is Defensive value. I know there are a number of defensive metrics out there, but all include elements such as steals and blocked shots and those are already accounted for in the game system.

What I am looking for is how effective a player is at locking down and forcing opponents to take contested shots. I have my own opinions, but as a Badger fan, I simply don't watch your team play as much or with as critical an eye as you do.

In the past, I have posted this to message boards, but as a former message board admin, I know that you are going to get a wide variety of input, some very intelligent and some not so much, so I am trying to get a bit more expertise in the input.

Basically, all I would need from you is to rank these players from best to worst in terms of their on the ball defensive value without taking into account blocks, steals, or rebounding. I can take it from there.

Pickett
Lundy
Funk
Wynter
Dread
Njie
Clary
Mahaffey
Henn
Johnson
Dorsey

Thanks so much for your time. If you would prefer to not participate, just let me know and I can always outsource it t0 the general public.
Might wanna review the list of players….

Reactions: Hkjb
Can't judge Penn State's roster, but why don't you get a subscription to Synergy?

Using my own casual observations plus reading between the lines on your report, does this ranking look pretty good?

Audige
Beran
Berry
Verhoeven
Buie
Nicholson
Barnhizer
Roper
Martinelli
Audige is the easily 1. Audige and Jackson Davis were the best two defenders in the B1G last year.

Nicholson 2 because of the value a defensive anchor brings.

Berry or Roper 3 and 4. That ones tough

Barnhizer I would say 5,

TVH or Beran 6 or 7. Different positions and roles so another tough one. I’d lean Beran.

Buie 8.

Martinelli 9.

I’d say 7 and above are good-great defenders.

I’d say 8 is above average

9 has a lot of work to do.

It’s hard and a little unfair to rank defense as it’s a team skill. NU ran a lot of doubles and switched the 1-4 often. They had a phenomenal defensive team last year. So not trying to be a homer but there were a lot of good defenders last year.

Reactions: drewjin
The system (based on the old school Statis Pro Basketball system for any tabletop fans out there) is primarily a team based defensive system. Essentially, each team is given a certain number of defensive points to distribute in rank order to simulate team success first and foremost. So, Northwestern, which was outstanding last year defensively (by far the biggest reason for their success) will have excellent individual ratings, even for particular players that you may not think are very good.

The rankings just allows us to prioritize who gets the best ratings.

I also like that we are getting some different opinions, as so much is subjective, and since I am essentially crowd-sourcing this, the more voices the better to eliminate individual biases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT