ADVERTISEMENT

Would new AD pull the trigger now or later???

To answer your title question ... later. At least one more season and, short of a train wreck by Northwestern standards (i.e. 3 conference wins or fewer), almost certainly two seasons. You can't underrate how the zeitgeist on Collins is still that he got us to the tournament.

Wouldn't it be nice if next season made it a hard decision?

Whether the decision is now or later, I sure hope the AD negotiated some parameters around when the decision can be made before taking the job. I don't want any AD who can't see this coming.

Wouldn't it be nice if next season made it a hard decision?

Whether the decision is now or later, I sure hope the AD negotiated some parameters around when the decision can be made before taking the job. I don't want any AD who can't see this coming.
If the team has any semblance of success next year, then I imagine Collins' contract continues to be honored. Thus, a season that would make for a hard decision would be another 6 win campaign like this year.

But I know what you meant.....

Nope. Success next year or gone. Success being defined as winning 40-50 percent of BigTen games. AD's path of least resistance. Collins stays without success AD is subject to criticism. Dump Collins and AD has peace for five years minimum based on NU tolerant history.

Reactions: CappyNU
Yeah, this season absolutely needs to be legitimate bubble contention or he's gotta go. Kopp leaving aside, there needs to be accountability and these players need to put up.

Later at this point, because you've missed this year's coaching carousel and big-time transfer portal. You'd be hamstringing whoever came in now. May as well let Collins have a (hopefully) more normal year to try to get things on track.

Reactions: ricko654321
Later at this point, because you've missed this year's coaching carousel and big-time transfer portal. You'd be hamstringing whoever came in now. May as well let Collins have a (hopefully) more normal year to try to get things on track.

I agree with this sentiment. If we had an AD in place a month ago, maybe we could have made a run at Moser. All of the "hot" coaches have been gobbled up. Might as well wait to see whose available next year. It will be the AD's first big time move, no need to rush. Plus, Fitz ain't going anywhere so this will be his/her's highest profile opportunity.

Collins’ contract runs through 2024-25.

In addition to a new AD, there will be a new University President soon.

No matter what people may want, it’s very unlikely that Collins’ contract would be terminated before both the new AD and University president are in office.

Collins’ contract runs through 2024-25.

In addition to a new AD, there will be a new University President soon.

No matter what people may want, it’s very unlikely that Collins’ contract would be terminated before both the new AD and University president are in office

I don't know about that. If we have a dumpster fire of a season (another double digit losing streak, less than 5 conference wins, another high profile transfer etc.) and IF (big if) the new AD wants to make a change and the Ryan family is on board, I can't imagine an interim president telling the new AD that they have to wait and miss out on their preferred replacement. I would imagine that the new AD candidates have already asked about their flexibility w/timeline regarding hiring and firing for all sports.

ADVERTISEMENT