ADVERTISEMENT

Wow

Seems like everyone in the BT looks better than us. I fear a three win season, with this group. I don't care if anyone says the west is bad, we are bad. I understand we are a program that can't simply reload, but I am disappointed in this staff who is "supposed" to be talent developers.

Reactions: mountaindrew
College football is unpredictable and up-and-down at the second level (below Alabama). BGSU beats Minnesota; lost 38-6 at middling Tennessee three weeks ago. Colorado State loses at home to VANDY, then takes Iowa deep into the game before losing by 10. Cats don't pass the eye test right now. My expectations for the season are revised vastly downward, but as a survivor of the Dark Ages, I would never have dreamed of four straight bowl wins and two BIG West titles in three years. Transfer portal adds a whole new dimension to college football recruiting. Watching MSU-Nebraska last night shed lots of light on that.

There's a version of 5-6 teams on our schedule that we can beat; and there's also versions of those teams that would beat us handily.

All depends on what we get from week to week. Injuries/attrition/etc. will all matter, and of course how each opponent is when we face them.

Nebraska outgained Michigan State something like 230 to 15 in the 2nd half last night. Spartans had the ball 5 times, punted 5 times, did not get a first down.

Spartans were "done" but ran a punt back for a TD to tie it at 20 with 3:47 to go, then won in OT.

Reactions: rmndcat
Nebraska outgained Michigan State something like 230 to 15 in the 2nd half last night. Spartans had the ball 5 times, punted 5 times, did not get a first down.

Spartans were "done" but ran a punt back for a TD to tie it at 20 with 3:47 to go, then won in OT.
That's usually how Neb loses to us, tbh

That's usually how Neb loses to us, tbh
I think that Erik Chinander, the defensive coordinator for Nebraska must have either gone to a Mike Hankwitz “winning through fundamentals” seminar or been struck by lightning returning to Damascus, er, Lincoln from Champaign Urbana.
For his first three years and first game this year, I thought his defense was designed to attack with abandon, and so while it made big plays, it often had players overrun the play or abandon an area to unsuccessfully attack the ball. All of a sudden, they’ve stopped looking like they had one two many cups of espresso before game time and are holding to their assignments. They are getting punts instead of turnovers, but are not getting ripped by big plays in the process. They are suddenly a pretty formidable defensive opponent, and it might save Frost’s skin as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
I think that Erik Chinander, the defensive coordinator for Nebraska must have either gone to a Mike Hankwitz “winning through fundamentals” seminar or been struck by lightning returning to Damascus, er, Lincoln from Champaign Urbana.
For his first three years and first game this year, I thought his defense was designed to attack with abandon, and so while it made big plays, it often had players overrun the play or abandon an area to unsuccessfully attack the ball. All of a sudden, they’ve stopped looking like they had one two many cups of espresso before game time and are holding to their assignments. They are getting punts instead of turnovers, but are not getting ripped by big plays in the process. They are suddenly a pretty formidable defensive opponent, and it might save Frost’s skin as a result.

I think it's more simplistic. It's really about talent. The bulk of Nebraska's recruiting success over the last 4 to 5 seasons has been on the defensive side of the football.

They haven't changed much schematicially. They've just gotten much bigger, deeper, and more athletic. Hell, 18 of the 22 players in their defensive 2 deep are underclassmen..

It's too bad Nebraska's special teams are an abomination against God and Country.

I think it's more simplistic. It's really about talent. The bulk of Nebraska's recruiting success over the last 4 to 5 seasons has been on the defensive side of the football.

They haven't changed much schematicially. They've just gotten much bigger, deeper, and more athletic. Hell, 18 of the 22 players in their defensive 2 deep are underclassmen..

It's too bad Nebraska's special teams are an abomination against God and Country.
Which completely explains their performance against Illinois. They have had fair to good talent the last few years, but screwed up consistently. They are playing within scheme the last few games and succeeding.

ADVERTISEMENT