ADVERTISEMENT

Wrigley Game

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Interesting column in the Daily regarding student tickets...

Just a hypothesis, perhaps the 70 was a 35/35 split with the Cubs, who surely aren't doing this for free, and now NU is dropping their share, leaving only the Cubs $35. Make sense?

Interesting column in the Daily regarding student tickets...

I mean... I'm sensitive to student finances but this is a bit of a ridiculous article complaining. Unlike most schools NU gets free admission to nearly all athletic events via the Activities Fee (which I think is a great mechanism to socialize costs and incentivize student attendance). But for the writer to complain that they have to pay $35 for one ticket a year to a game that isn't a true home game, when the AD is also offering free food and drinks beforehand? Just sounds spoiled / entitled. I understand if this person doesn't want to go. But the overall premise of the article, meh...

With the quality of the teams supply will most likely exceed demand here so secondary market ticket prices should soften.

I mean... I'm sensitive to student finances but this is a bit of a ridiculous article complaining. Unlike most schools NU gets free admission to nearly all athletic events via the Activities Fee (which I think is a great mechanism to socialize costs and incentivize student attendance). But for the writer to complain that they have to pay $35 for one ticket a year to a game that isn't a true home game, when the AD is also offering free food and drinks beforehand? Just sounds spoiled / entitled. I understand if this person doesn't want to go. But the overall premise of the article, meh...

With the quality of the teams supply will most likely exceed demand here so secondary market ticket prices should soften.
We had to buy tickets to ALL football and basketball games when I was a student at NU.

When did they change this?

I know from family members who attended in the '70s that they got free admission. Then when I went there, I had to pay for my tickets as a student. Then, at some time after I graduated, students don't have to pay for tickets anymore.

When did they change it, and then when did they change it back?

We had to buy tickets to ALL football and basketball games when I was a student at NU.

I know from family members who attended in the '70s that they got free admission. Then when I went there, I had to pay for my tickets as a student. Then, at some time after I graduated, students don't have to pay for tickets anymore.

I don't know exactly but maybe in the range of 15 years ago? They added an activities fee for each person which I think was like $80 per quarter when I was there (that's a wild guess though). A quick google suggests it's $125 per quarter now. And then students get free admission to all sporting events (maybe some other stuff too I dunno) by scanning their WildCard.

They changed it in the early 2000s. I started at NU during the 2001 football season and had to pay for tickets, but by the time I graduated after the 2004 season, tickets were covered by the activities fee. I can't remember specifically when it happened, though.

Also, the column is being more than a little unreasonable. I agree that $73 was way too much, but $35 for both the game and pregame food/drink is much more fair, and the constant belaboring of "travel expenses to Wrigley" - it's a $5 round trip on the L.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
They changed it in the early 2000s. I started at NU during the 2001 football season and had to pay for tickets, but by the time I graduated after the 2004 season, tickets were covered by the activities fee. I can't remember specifically when it happened, though.

Also, the column is being more than a little unreasonable. I agree that $73 was way too much, but $35 for both the game and pregame food/drink is much more fair, and the constant belaboring of "travel expenses to Wrigley" - it's a $5 round trip on the L.
and if you go by any way other then the EL, you deserve to pay extra.

Reactions: Styre
Heck,,,that how, as a Loyola student I became a Cats fan....I always just walked in....that was the 70s......they need to get creative....maybe some sort of dorm competition based on food for food banks......

and if you go by any way other then the EL, you deserve to pay extra.
Indeed. Come on, Skye. They need to pay something to the Cubs, I presume. You're getting food and possibly bowling paid for by NU. Take the damn L. Skye wants a winning team, free ticket, free food, transportation to the game. That's not a sporting event, sorry. And anyone who demands all of that is not a fan.

When I came to school in ‘94 we just had to show our Wildcard to get into games. I want to say shortly after Rose Bowl season we had to buy student season tickets. Wow that was a long time ago, so my memory could be off.

Not sure how Skye is going to get Bulls tickets for less either.
Cheapest tickets on Ticketmaster for Thursday’s game against the NY Knicks are $103 and $99 on StubHub both including fees.
Plus, you don’t get any free food with those tickets

Cheapest tickets on Ticketmaster for Thursday’s game against the NY Knicks are $103 and $99 on StubHub both including fees.

The Bulls offer a limited number of tickets to college students at significantly reduced prices. Right now it looks like $25 for the Knicks game.

Reactions: Bwm57
For the 0-16 basketball season, I mailed a $50 check for my season tickets, using campus mail. (Not sure if this is how it was supposed to work, but I wrote ‘Evanston campus’ instead of city, state, zip. When using campus mail, a stamp was unnecessary.)

My tickets never arrived. I wound up buying tickets in person — also with a check — at the box office prior to the first game I attended. Didn’t really think of it again, though balancing that checkbook was a grind.

Anyway, when I returned home for spring break — late March, Glenview, fully 4 1/2 months after having mailed my check on campus. My dad presented me with a still-sealed envelope, containing my order form and my check, which had arrived earlier in the week and which had arrived in Glenview via Palatine.

Neither snow nor rain…

$35 isn’t so much for a ticket, but it still would’ve felt like a lot for something that’s usually free and (a grump at 20) waaaaayyyy less convenient than normal.

This columnist seems a bit whiny.

slightly further on the EL too...

When I came to school in ‘94 we just had to show our Wildcard to get into games. I want to say shortly after Rose Bowl season we had to buy student season tickets. Wow that was a long time ago, so my memory could be off.
That sounds right. I was a student at NU at roughly the same time. Prior to the Rose Bowl season, students got in for free with their ID (Wildcard). I don't even think there were actual tickets - you just showed up and sat wherever you wanted. After '95, they started charging something like $5 a game, and of course, people grumbled.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT