ADVERTISEMENT

WTH - two weeks in Cuba and y’all burn the house down

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
Geez. What a dumpster fire. And I have thoughts after a plane and car ride of reading:
  • I’ll throw out there immediately that I was ready for PFs dismissal. But not like this, for this, with this ramification. That said, I think there are a lot of lessons and room to learn here. It saddens me to learn about all this and angers me to know that we are likely about to fall deeper than the dark ages ever reached.
  • Gragg and Schill may be the two most overpaid, under qualified and terribly performing people in executive positions that I have ever heard of. Regardless of where you fall on all this, both these clowns have hit the high note of unremarkable work at NU with their actions. Add Foster and it really begs the question about the mental health of Ryan and qualifications of the BOT.
  • I believe PF deserves to be gone now. I feel his ego has grown unchecked far too long. Those that allowed it to happen are responsible for this mess. PF became the smartest guy in the room, a god in his own mind, incapable of error. And he erred. Big time.
  • I can’t help but smirk each time I have read that PF might have surfed his way by his suave pressers. Those died years ago - he has been bitchy, chippy, snotty to the press longer than I care to remember.
  • Remember the various discussions about how the AD must do or force something on PF and gcg or cgc would state not going to happen. The power of Fitz. They were right. And now the institution of NUFB will spend a decade paying for it.
  • And where are gcg and the various former players that populated this board? Some silence is deafening.
  • I am surprised how few want to discuss the liability and potential criminal liability, of the players involved. That would seem to be an undropped shoe.
  • Makes me wonder where the player that was the victim AND the criminal fall - in a civil suit, if such a player signs w the lawyer to join, do his teammates / co-plaintiffs out him? For the lawyers - how hard this has to be for conflict of interest checks, right?
  • I also think think this may be the start of the CFB metoo moment - bred by the portal and NIL. If so, am I the only one that can see an avenue that leads to the end of CFB, replaced by NFL minor leagues?
  • My best guess: first, worse players got hazed worse because they simply weren’t as good, better players didn’t need to be run. Second, in scuba, the rescue class has plenty of potential violence. I have always worked under a belief that no victim will be nice, so why should I? And I have punished every single rescue student that entered my pool or water handsomely. I think I woke some people up. But I did notice that those that went on to instructor could not wait to dole out the punishment, more so.
Perhaps that is how this grew so out of hand. Some players took the abuse and raised the bar. And so forth and so on, such that PF may have known of the general activities, but not to the extent they had grown. He was sending his own son to join the ranks this fall.

But PF, like his loyalty and headstrong self with coaching decisions, playing philosophies, etc believes he had built the perfect program and his heavy lifting was done. Even murmurs of problems, if they occurred, I could see being dismissed as exaggeration. I mean, his perfect leadership system would never allow such a thing. His perfect asst coaches would be on it.

I predicted PF would destroy his coaching reputation that would also overshadow his playing career reputation. I thought it would happen on the field. He did destroy it, IMHO, with those same damning qualities - only it was off the field, destroyed the program and irreparably harmed some lives too.

I can’t say I’m sympathetic to PF, Gragg or Schill. Or many of the coaches or players. But for the victims, the school, the alum, the fans - I’m heartbroken. Unless NU does some pretty non-NU things, I doubt this will be a P5 program again in my lifetime. Sucks. Really sucks.

Think you should go to Cuba more often, one of your best posts here.
No way - next time I’ll lose basketball. Then I’ll have to root for my law school teams. They are all terrible and in a terrible division.

And here I thought you would delete my thread or post…. 🤔

And Cappy, in what I expect to be a soon deleted post on another thread, Fidel made me do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT