ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube is the best way to get a feel for the Tennessee team

Thanks for doing the scouting work JP, I'm going to watch some highlights and get a better feel when I have some free time. I did watch a couple Northwestern games this season including the Duke game, but I barely remember that so I need a refresher.

Fun fact: visiting a friend in Chicago a few years ago, we happened upon the stadium (Ryan Field isn't it?) on the way back from Milwaukee, and I must say the area around it is very nice. If I recall it was mostly pretty little neighborhoods and surrounded by trees and foliage. It was really cool.

Fun fact: visiting a friend in Chicago a few years ago, we happened upon the stadium (Ryan Field isn't it?) on the way back from Milwaukee, and I must say the area around it is very nice. If I recall it was mostly pretty little neighborhoods and surrounded by trees and foliage. It was really cool.

Ryan Field is in fact only a few blocks from Lake Michigan, and not far from some of the most expensive real estate north of Chicago. This photo looking northeast shows the stadium, basketball arena (Welsh-Ryan Arena), and baseball field. The Lake is in the distance, as well as the iconic Bahai Temple. Ryan Field is tiny by Power 5 standards (47,118 capacity) but has a good atmosphere when full (which happens rarely, mainly when Iowa or Nebraska visit and bring hoards of their fans).
website%5Cprodimages%5C1605.jpg

I have long held the belief that the college game is unique in that, while these athletes are incredibly skilled and talent imbalances abound, emotion/effort, execution and discipline, and planning can enable a team with inferior talent to take down a more skilled opponent. In most cases, the glaring mistakes, odd bounces, and other asynchronous events even out over the course of the game, leaving it to talent and execution to determine the outcome.

The Cats have the capability to be exceptionally disciplined on defense, maintaining lanes, filling gaps, and tackling. The proof of this the absence of big plays given up throughout the season. I can recall our CB, VanHoos, getting snookered on a play action early vs. Purdue to give up a long pass TD, and some poor discipline and tackling vs. Iowa that led to a long TD run. But that's about if for home run plays given up on defense (I imagine there are a few more). Same is largely true on ST, where we had a break down vs. Michigan.

Iowa was the turning point. In the games that followed, the Cats held Saquon Barkely, a very good RB (6.1 YPC), in check for 3 quarters before he made most of his numbers in Q4 on a few long runs. Terrell Newby of Tommie Armstrong of Nebraska were also bottled up. And then there was Wisconsin. These were not blowout games where the opposition abandoned the run. They were Big Ten slugfests, much like we saw in the championship game, and the NU run defense was stellar. There is a clear blueprint for the Cats, and the way they finished the season after the debacles at UM and vs. Iowa tells me that they have bought into it.

If the Cats continue their brand of disciplined run defense, Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs can be contained, eliminating home run plays and forcing UT to consistently make plays on longer drives in order to gain points. This increases the probability of mistakes that kill drives and/or field position. It sounds like the ideal scenario for the Cats on defense is to force Dobbs to make plays in the passing game, much like what transpired vs. PSU (Hackenberg), Nebraska (Armstrong is an awful passer), and Wisconsin.

This still may not be enough. Big plays on special teams can negate this field position strategy pretty quickly. Also, I believe our offense needs to take an evolutionary step forward in order to present a credible downfield threat in the passing game. This is not an outlandish thought, but our receivers will need to find ways to "reinvent" themselves in terms of gaining separation and making more plays.

Ryan Field is in fact only a few blocks from Lake Michigan, and not far from some of the most expensive real estate north of Chicago. This photo looking northeast shows the stadium, basketball arena (Welsh-Ryan Arena), and baseball field. The Lake is in the distance, as well as the iconic Bahai Temple. Ryan Field is tiny by Power 5 standards (47,118 capacity) but has a good atmosphere when full (which happens rarely, mainly when Iowa or Nebraska visit and bring hoards of their fans).
website%5Cprodimages%5C1605.jpg

Yep, the area is just as pretty as I remember. Somewhat off topic, but the Baha'i temple is in the general area too isn't it?

JP, if you want to see incredible architecture, look up the Baha'i temple.

Yep, the area is just as pretty as I remember. Somewhat off topic, but the Baha'i temple is in the general area too isn't it?

JP, if you want to see incredible architecture, look up the Baha'i temple.

Yes, the Bahai Temple can be see from Ryan Field. It is right on Lake Michigan in the first suburb north of Evanston, Willamette.

Wilmette-yacht-club.jpg

A few items to consider... Dobbs has 15 TDs to only 5 INTs. Not sure I would bank on an INT in the Outback Bowl.
I understand. I'm being an optimist (at least for Northwestern) and hoping for an INT (or two) because I think we need to win the turnover margin to win the game. If Tennessee plays mistake free, it'll be that much more difficult for us to put points on the board. I watched highlights of a couple of UT games and saw some passes that could have been picked off. You obviously have seen more of Dobbs' plays than I have. Again, I'm just looking for angles here that'll give us an advantage against a talented team.

As a matter of fact, Jackson's play style sounds almost like Hurd's. He rarely busts a long run or takes it over 20+ to the house, but his yards often come after contact or when he'll seemingly be taken down for a loss. I think this game could come down to the battle of two physical backs (if not the passing game), which should be awesome to watch.

Jackson is a finesse RB with great vision. Yes, he can push for the extra yard after getting contact, but his real strength is finding the holes/gaps in the first place. Hurd sounds more like a bigger, more powerful RB. Neither, however, has that top end speed to run away from defenders in the secondary, but they're great at picking up yardage on shorter runs.

I understand. I'm being an optimist (at least for Northwestern) and hoping for an INT (or two) because I think we need to win the turnover margin to win the game. If Tennessee plays mistake free, it'll be that much more difficult for us to put points on the board. I watched highlights of a couple of UT games and saw some passes that could have been picked off. You obviously have seen more of Dobbs' plays than I have. Again, I'm just looking for angles here that'll give us an advantage against a talented team.

Completely reasonable thought process. He could very well throw a pick or two, probably should have throw 7 or 8 on the season... But he does a good job keeping the ball out of harms way for a guy who struggles with accuracy.

Our offense is coached in a way that Dobbs getting a few yards with his legs or throwing it away is much better than throwing a 50/50 ball.

Completely reasonable thought process. He could very well throw a pick or two, probably should have throw 7 or 8 on the season... But he does a good job keeping the ball out of harms way for a guy who struggles with accuracy.

Our offense is coached in a way that Dobbs getting a few yards with his legs or throwing it away is much better than throwing a 50/50 ball.
Dobbs also had 4 TD passes dropped in the end zone.

I hate to say it, but if I recall Bama had 3 dropped picks alone. Dobbs has been a fairly smart decision maker this season, but he has also benefitted from defenses not being able to haul in the Int.

Jackson is a finesse RB with great vision. Yes, he can push for the extra yard after getting contact, but his real strength is finding the holes/gaps in the first place. Hurd sounds more like a bigger, more powerful RB. Neither, however, has that top end speed to run away from defenders in the secondary, but they're great at picking up yardage on shorter runs.

If Hurd had top end speed he'd be a whole new level of running back. I saw elsewhere one of our fans made the comparison of Jackson to our own Kamara. Kamara is much more of a speedy back but not big and powerful. Maybe Jackson is somewhat like a more balanced version of the two? Again I haven't had a chance to go back and watch film yet.

In
I mentioned in another thread that, if you only have the time/interest to watch 2 Vols games to get a feel for our team, I'd go with Georgia (a win) and Oklahoma (a loss). Between them, they really capture the character of our 2015 season. If you have time for a third, I'd add Vandy, just because it's the last game of the year and shows who we are most recently. Here are links to those three games:

Oklahoma:

Georgia:

Vandy:

Cheers! I'm off to watch the NU-Wisconsin game. :)
In the Georgia game at least, Tennessee reminds me of a couple good teams we have played this year and beaten. Fast and aggressive, but don't have it all together. Either that, or they were overwhelmed by our defense.

In
In the Georgia game at least, Tennessee reminds me of a couple good teams we have played this year and beaten. Fast and aggressive, but don't have it all together. Either that, or they were overwhelmed by our defense.

In that case, StPaul, here's to hoping we're just enough better than they were to squeak out a win against you. :)

If Hurd had top end speed he'd be a whole new level of running back. I saw elsewhere one of our fans made the comparison of Jackson to our own Kamara. Kamara is much more of a speedy back but not big and powerful. Maybe Jackson is somewhat like a more balanced version of the two? Again I haven't had a chance to go back and watch film yet.
People around here compare Jackson to Walter Payton in terms of his smooth stride and great vision. He glides. Jackson also would be "a whole new level of running back" if he had top end speed, but we're not complaining. He's been fantastic for us from day one, as a true freshman. One of our backups, Solomon Vault, has that "top end speed" (he's our kickoff returner and has returned two for TDs this year), but he hasn't been as effective as a RB because he doesn't seem to be able to find and hit the holes like Jackson can.

I hate to say it, but if I recall Bama had 3 dropped picks alone. Dobbs has been a fairly smart decision maker this season, but he has also benefitted from defenses not being able to haul in the Int.
Yeah, that was the game I watched. Our QB has gotten away with some of those as well, and on the flipside, has also had some times where our WRs dropped perfectly thrown passes. It's part of the game, and we just hope that we get more catches than drops on our end on Jan. 1.

Reactions: WilliamDuVOL
People around here compare Jackson to Walter Payton in terms of his smooth stride and great vision. He glides. Jackson also would be "a whole new level of running back" if he had top end speed, but we're not complaining. He's been fantastic for us from day one, as a true freshman. One of our backups, Solomon Vault, has that "top end speed" (he's our kickoff returner and has returned two for TDs this year), but he hasn't been as effective as a RB because he doesn't seem to be able to find and hit the holes like Jackson can.

It sounds like our backs have very similar stories. Hurd was our workhorse last year as a freshman as well, and has drawn comparisons to Eddie George.

Kind of a "cool story bro" moment, if you will, but Eddie George was Hurd's childhood idol and relatively recently George tweeted that he was impressed with Hurd.

Reactions: beetlemania74
Yeah, that was the game I watched. Our QB has gotten away with some of those as well, and on the flipside, has also had some times where our WRs dropped perfectly thrown passes. It's part of the game, and we just hope that we get more catches than drops on our end on Jan. 1.

The more I talk with you guys the more I see similarities between our two seasons and players haha

It sounds like our backs have very similar stories. Hurd was our workhorse last year as a freshman as well, and has drawn comparisons to Eddie George.

Kind of a "cool story bro" moment, if you will, but Eddie George was Hurd's childhood idol and relatively recently George tweeted that he was impressed with Hurd.
You mean Eddie George, the Northwestern grad? He has a MBA from NU's Kellogg School of Management, though I think he also attended another Big Ten school as an undergraduate...:)

But that is a cool story. I'm sure it meant a great deal to Hurd.

Reactions: WilliamDuVOL
You mean Eddie George, the Northwestern grad? He has a MBA from NU's Kellogg School of Management, though I think he also attended another Big Ten school as an undergraduate...:)

But that is a cool story. I'm sure it meant a great deal to Hurd.

I didn't know about his collegiate career or education. That's awesome. :D

We've found common ground it seems haha

Many thanks from this older Vol for a mostly troll free thread, and actual football conversation. Northwestern is a worthy opponent and it saddens me to see so-called Tennessee fans disrespect this team and their home board.

Many thanks from this older Vol for a mostly troll free thread, and actual football conversation. Northwestern is a worthy opponent and it saddens me to see so-called Tennessee fans disrespect this team and their home board.

It does make you wonder if all of these trolls are UT fans or if they're fans of other BIG 10 teams, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT