ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Update

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Peter King points to a podcast with Zach Strief today:

"3. I think there’s a great lesson in Zach Strief, the Saints’ tackle, right now. Forward-thinking guy. I heard him on Albert Breer’s podcast this week. Strief on finding a post-career passion: “It’s been a series of guys, players who’ve been here who I respect highly, guys that I think the world of that are good guys—smart, intelligent, sharp—that have struggled with that transition. It’s no different than if I came to you tomorrow and said, ‘Hey, Albert, sorry, it’s not your decision, but you can never be a reporter ever again, so figure something out.’ That’s a really tough reality for someone who has spent a long time doing one thing. It’s very difficult for guys mentally to deal with that, and I got to see that. I got to see some older players come back and say, ‘Hey, I’m struggling a little bit figuring out what I’m going to do.’ Or, ‘Hey, I’ve got some opportunities but I’m the intern, so I went from being a pro athlete to having a job that a 22-year-old with no work experience has.’ That’s tough for a 33-year-old man who’s grown accustomed to living his life a certain way. And so those realities hit home and I realized, hey, you need to be on the lookout for something.” Strief, his father-in-law and three other partners founded Port Orleans Brewing. (And no, I did not write about this just because it’s beer.)"

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/19/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-randy-moss-commencement

He likely has no interest in coaching, but I have long thought that Zach would make a great college coach. He has always been a real "people person", has been active in his community, and is very bright and likeable. He would be a great role model and a fantastic recruiter.

Peter King points to a podcast with Zach Strief today:

"3. I think there’s a great lesson in Zach Strief, the Saints’ tackle, right now. Forward-thinking guy. I heard him on Albert Breer’s podcast this week. Strief on finding a post-career passion: “It’s been a series of guys, players who’ve been here who I respect highly, guys that I think the world of that are good guys—smart, intelligent, sharp—that have struggled with that transition. It’s no different than if I came to you tomorrow and said, ‘Hey, Albert, sorry, it’s not your decision, but you can never be a reporter ever again, so figure something out.’ That’s a really tough reality for someone who has spent a long time doing one thing. It’s very difficult for guys mentally to deal with that, and I got to see that. I got to see some older players come back and say, ‘Hey, I’m struggling a little bit figuring out what I’m going to do.’ Or, ‘Hey, I’ve got some opportunities but I’m the intern, so I went from being a pro athlete to having a job that a 22-year-old with no work experience has.’ That’s tough for a 33-year-old man who’s grown accustomed to living his life a certain way. And so those realities hit home and I realized, hey, you need to be on the lookout for something.” Strief, his father-in-law and three other partners founded Port Orleans Brewing. (And no, I did not write about this just because it’s beer.)"

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/19/peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback-nfl-randy-moss-commencement
But the beer thing would be a pretty good reason

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT