ADVERTISEMENT

Zack Oliver Appreciation Thread

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
I'm shocked that there's not a thread dedicated yet but I'll go ahead and say it: Huge Props to Oliver. Comes off of the bench, both throws and runs for a TD and makes a huge throw on a game winning drive to beat Penn State. Very impressive.

This is the type of play I hoped for when he replaced Siemian last year, and it's nice to see him fulfill his potential. I don't know how long Thorson is out for but I look forward to seeing what else Oliver can do in his final season - along with Alviti as a nice change of pace when he needs a breather.

Oliver did a nice job coming in and winning the game. I hope to see Thorson back next week as he is clearly our #1 guy and certainly is multidimensional in a way neither of the other two guys is. Alviti seems to be solidly our 3rd string guy. But I agree Oliver deserves a lot of credit for today's performance.

I agree. Oliver deserves huge props for coming in cold and helping us to a win. Great contribution from the 5th year senior. That being said, I look forward to Thorson starting next week.

Reactions: 60657Cat
Huh? 11-24 for 110 yards. Glad we won, but we won despite Oliver, not because of him.

Sure, the numbers weren't great, and he wasn't Tom Brady, but what more can you expect from a backup coming in cold who hasn't practiced with the starting unit all year? I'll tip my hat to that performance.

Reactions: Palindrome
I've lost my voice and it's primarily due to cheering for Oliver today - kid took care of the football, did much, much more good than harm against a very aggressive defense. I hope this win gives him memories for a lifetime because he earned it. It's like it was his destiny to lead the offense today.

Look around the big ten. Where would u rank Zack for #2 QBs?
I don't know and who the hell cares? This thread wasn't about who the best 2nd string QB in the B1G is. It was about a game that our #2 QB played today and won.

An INT and a few overthrows had me yelling at the TV, but he led us to victory. Nice job, Zack.

One other thing. ZO's supporters do not diss CT or TS in public while they are not playing well. I have seen this reprehensible behavior from supporters of other non-starting QBs on the squad.

Huh? 11-24 for 110 yards. Glad we won, but we won despite Oliver, not because of him.
I wouldn't go as far as saying "despite Oliver", however I agree that his performance was far from impressive. Yes, he came unexpectedly into the game. But that is typical for ALL back-up QB's, especially when there is an unchallenged starter. It is his role to be ready to come in in such situations, and help the team.
A sobering stat: per ESPN his QBR (so-called total QB rating) was a meager 21.6
The top QBR in the FBS is currently 88.8. With 21.6, ZO would be ranked below 125 in the FBS. Nowhere near good enough.
The primary contribution to the NU's victory was likely the almost 200 rushing yards (in less than 30 carries, nearly a 7 ypc average) by JJ...is tough to lose when you have a performer like that (though we nearly did!). The 120 K-return yards by SV (including a TD) didn't hurt either.

I lost my voice too while at the game. Really impressed with Oliver, especially that clutch throw to Carr on the last drive just after he was nearly sacked.

Reactions: NUMBfan
That statement is asinine! Anyone who comes in cold and does what he did and especially in the clutch like the last drive deserves credit. Your short sided stat line observation is idiotic!

I wouldn't go as far as saying "despite Oliver", however I agree that his performance was far from impressive. Yes, he came unexpectedly into the game. But that is typical for ALL back-up QB's, especially when there is an unchallenged starter. It is his role to be ready to come in in such situations, and help the team.
The top QBR in the FBS is currently 88.8. With 21.6, ZO would be ranked below 125 in the FBS. Nowhere near good enough.
The primary contribution to the NU's victory was likely the almost 200 rushing yards (in less than 30 carries, nearly a 7 ypc average) by JJ...is tough to lose when you have a performer like that (though we nearly did!). The 120 K-return yards by SV (including a TD) didn't hurt either.

SHUT THE FELIS UP!!!!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Oliver stuck it out for 5 years. His parents are at every game I am at across the country. He was instrumental in our winning today. That pass to Carr was beautiful. So happy for him.

Go Cats!
Oliver stuck it out for 5 years. His parents are at every game I am at across the country. He was instrumental in our winning today. That pass to Carr was beautiful. So happy for him.

Go Cats!
congrats to Zach but that was an awesome catch by Carr.

Really happy for Zack and applaud his effort. Good teams have players that step up when called upon and Zack was there for us. Thanks Zack.

So unfair. Zack was a major part of this win. I am sure you are one of the few people who feel this way.
AGREED. He made some mistakes, but in the end (and in the beginning) he did what he needed to help us to this win. Congratulations Zack!

Congratulations to Zack! This was a big win and one he will tell his grandkids about. Go CATS!!!!!

Let me guess....didn't watch the game and just read the stats again?

Reactions: Fitz51
For him to come in against this defense, with two starting lineman injured and no mobility, taking shot after shot after shot, and still finding a way to get enough done with his arm to propel us to victory was simply amazing to me. He was absolutely the player of the game for me...

Look again. Carr made it a tougher catch than it was by almost stumbling over his feet. He was wide open and the ball was right there with no one in the area...
Not really. Carr was WIDE open. But the FB took an unnecessary and extremely high elliptical path (as if there was a defender in hot pursue). As the announcers said, it seems the FB hung in the air "for ever". Carr looked like a BsB outfielder chasing a high line drive that is trying to go over his head. Not a good throw at all, especially considering how wide open Carr was. What ZO deserves credit for is noticing the wide open Carr and getting the FB in his general vicinity. Anyhow, thankfully Carr adjusted and made the catch.

Yes Zack came in and saved the day for us. The score was still 0-0 when he went in. You have to give him credit for hanging with the Cats even though Clayton had taken the job in the spring.

If he has to start next week I hope that McCall comes up with a game plan that suits his skill set. He doesn't have the tools that Clayton does.

Reactions: Palindrome
Not really. Carr was WIDE open. But the FB took an unnecessary and extremely high elliptical path (as if there was a defender in hot pursue). As the announcers said, it seems the FB hung in the air "for ever". Carr looked like a BsB outfielder chasing a high line drive that is trying to go over his head. Not a good throw at all, especially considering how wide open Carr was. What ZO deserves credit for is noticing the wide open Carr and getting the FB in his general vicinity. Anyhow, thankfully Carr adjusted and made the catch.
Do you have the ability to see positive in anything? Are you happy we won? Are you really unable to see the good that Zach did today coming in and leading the team to victory?

Reactions: NUMBfan
I'm happy for the victory and happy for ZO. Apparently, Thorson could have come back so the coaches thought ZO was doing good enough.

One other thing. ZO's supporters do not diss CT or TS in public while they are not playing well. I have seen this reprehensible behavior from supporters of other non-starting QBs on the squad.

You are not the only one. I know exactly what you are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT