ADVERTISEMENT

Zack Strief

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I watched the last few minutes of the Saints' game on Monday night when they were in the catch up passing mode. I concentrated on Strief playing right tackle.

He should be an immediate hire for NU when his playing days are over. I know he is a journeyman pro but his footwork and balance were great. He allowed an outside speed rusher to move up the field and then simply blocked him past Brees. On an inside move ,he pushed the DE parallel to line of scrimmage

I have to admit that I don't pay close attention to OL play but watching Strief work was educational

I watched the last few minutes of the Saints' game on Monday night when they were in the catch up passing mode. I concentrated on Strief playing right tackle.

He should be an immediate hire for NU when his playing days are over. I know he is a journeyman pro but his footwork and balance were great. He allowed an outside speed rusher to move up the field and then simply blocked him past Brees. On an inside move ,he pushed the DE parallel to line of scrimmage

I have to admit that I don't pay close attention to OL play but watching Strief work was educational

"Journeyman Pro"? Dude has been with the Saints since he was drafted in 2006, named to an all-pro team and the Pro Bowl, is a Super Bowl champion, and playing out a contract that included $8.4 million guaranteed. He's had a pretty darn good career.

I realize that strengthens your point, but thought I would stick up for our guy a bit, too.

"Journeyman Pro"? Dude has been with the Saints since he was drafted in 2006, named to an all-pro team and the Pro Bowl, is a Super Bowl champion, and playing out a contract that included $8.4 million guaranteed. He's had a pretty darn good career.

I realize that strengthens your point, but thought I would stick up for our guy a bit, too.

I would also like to add, from personal experience, that he is a great guy and comes from an absolutely wonderful family. I know them all, as do a bunch of other people on the board .

Reactions: nu greek and DkeCat

To be fair, he has to journey from New Orleans to road games 8 times a year.

Zach has improved his balance and body control to become a good OT in the NFL...obviously because he's lasted 11th years in the NFL and is a team captain. However, I did see some video where he got just physically and verbally abused (thrash talk) by JJ Watt in a game. That happens to a lot of good NFL OT's, though.

I would just like to add on to Florida's post. The Strief's are the biggest Cat fans in the land and just superb folks. And Zach is an example of appels not falling far from the tree. Just a great guy.

He used to post here too but I guess was told to knock it off or got too busy.

Great guy from a great family (who I believe still attend NU games now and then).

I would love for him to be a coach here when he leaves the NFL but many ex NFL players are sick of football when they stop and don't do it. Time will tell.

I would just like to add on to Florida's post. The Strief's are the biggest Cat fans in the land and just superb folks. And Zach is an example of appels not falling far from the tree. Just a great guy.

He used to post here too but I guess was told to knock it off or got too busy.

Great guy from a great family (who I believe still attend NU games now and then).

I would love for him to be a coach here when he leaves the NFL but many ex NFL players are sick of football when they stop and don't do it. Time will tell.

Would love to have Zach Strief back coaching for the Cats. Heaven knows we need someone who knows what they are doing.

Would love to have Zach Strief back coaching for the Cats. Heaven knows we need someone who knows what they are doing.

Being a great player and being a great coach might be two different things but it is an exciting idea.

I don't think that it's a stretch to say that Zach is the most successful pro (longevity, accolades, second contract, etc.) to come out of NU in the modern era, right? Who else would be on that list if you started with 1996 until now (ie. you exclude O'Dwyer)? Barry Gardner? Dwayne Bates? McManis?

I don't think that it's a stretch to say that Zach is the most successful pro (longevity, accolades, second contract, etc.) to come out of NU in the modern era, right? Who else would be on that list if you started with 1996 until now (ie. you exclude O'Dwyer)? Barry Gardner? Dwayne Bates? McManis?

Good pont. And to think he took heat from fans for being "soft" in his early NU years.

Tyrell Sutton has had an 8 year pro career, the vast majority of it up in Canada, so I guess has has to be mentioned as well if you go by recent players and longevity.

Bentley and Roach have also had extended careers. Zach's career has probably been the most successful considering he is in his 11th season and a starter.

Bentley and Roach have also had extended careers. Zach's career has probably been the most successful considering he is in his 11th season and a starter.

Have we not forgotten about Chris Hinton? 7 pro bowls and 3 times all pro.

Zach is a starter 11 years into his career. He's the most accomplished NU player we have seen in the "NU Modern Era."

Good ones Glades. Totally brain farted on those guys.

How about Barry coefield? He played in 138 games vs Streifs 144 but coefield started 129 vs only 80 for Streifs. I assume coefield has at least 1 super bowl, if not two.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I would also like to add, from personal experience, that he is a great guy and comes from an absolutely wonderful family. I know them all, as do a bunch of other people on the board .
I get the impression he is pretty entrenched in the New Orleans community. Does he have kids? Would he be willing to move his family to be an assistant college coach? Just wondering.

Good one. Barry was solid with NY and earned a big contact with DC.
Probably something like this if we are doing post 96...
1) Strief for combination of longevity, high quality of play, won super bowl
2) Napo cause he had a few very good years, also won a super bowl in Oakland right?
3) Cofield solid contributor for a number of years
4) Bentley also won a super bowl and started for multiple years in Seattle
5 and 6) Roach then McManis? Both were very very good special teams players that were middling when pressed into starting roles
7) Luis Castillo in SD?
8) Trevor Siemian, but he could shoot up this list quickly
9) Marquice Cole, amazing he was so inconsistent in college though

Honorable mention- Ibro potentially (has he lost his starting job?), Trai Essex, and who was the DL on Pitt?, Damien, Lowry possibly in the future, Peters

2) Napo cause he had a few very good years, also won a super bowl in Oakland right?
5 and 6) Roach then McManis? Both were very very good special teams players that were middling when pressed into starting roles
7) Luis Castillo in SD?

Honorable mention- Ibro potentially (has he lost his starting job?), Trai Essex, and who was the DL on Pitt?, Damien, Lowry possibly in the future, Peters

Corbin Bryant has stuck around with the Bills for a while now, too.

Does Chris Brown count?

Hanging around for 11 years is incredible. Zach has got to be number one.

I feel like Castillo had a chance, but was derailed by injuries.

Woot ended Favre's career, so he makes the list.

7) Luis Castillo in SD?

Bentley was with the Seahawks for three seasons ('05-'07), and played a great deal on special teams, as I recall. The Hawks did make it to the Superbowl during his tenure, but they didn't win. I don't think that Kevin played on another Superbowl team, before or after.

7) Luis Castillo in SD?

In no firm order:
1) Cofield - longevity (11th year now), large contract signed, Super Bowl win
2) Strief - ditto, incl. Super Bowl win
3) Bentley - 10-year career, occasional starter, Super Bowl (loss), Cool article on Kevin: http://poetsandquants.com/2015/07/01/my-story-from-the-nfl-to-an-mba/
4) Napo Harris - 1st round pick, 7-year career, Super Bowl (loss)
5) Trai Essex - 8-year career, 2 Super Bowl rings, modest contracts
6) Roach - 7-year career, average in Chicago, starred one year in Oakland, nice contract but retired due to concussion issues
7) Castillo - 1st round pick ($$), 7-year career. often injured
8) Sherrick McManis - ongoing 7-year career, modest contracts.
9) Ike Ndukwe - 8-year career
10) Marquice Cole - 5-years + 2 years practice squad, now coaching at former HS.
11) Corbin Bryant - 5th year and counting
12) Corey Wootton - 5-year career
13) Jason Wright - 7-year career
14) Noah Herron - 3-year career

Others: Peters, Siemian, Basanez, Kafka, Lowry, Arnfelt, Vitale, Netter, Gill, Sutton, McGarigle, Ayeni, Ulrich, probably others I've forgotten

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
ADVERTISEMENT