ADVERTISEMENT

Zone or man-to-man?

Catreporter

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2007
Do we come out in a zone tonight vs. Pitt or do we go man? Panthers were bad from 3-point distance vs. K-State and are only shooting 24 percent for the season from there, but they are very athletic and Xavier Johnson is a quick point guard who can get to the rim. Will be interesting to see how Chris plays it. In fact, this will probably be a thing to watch the rest of the season.

Our zone is an abomination. Our man to man is good.

Our 1-3-1 is a prayer that other teams miss open shot. Our man to man is good

Our 2-3 is untested. Our man to man is good.

Our players don’t know what they’re doing in a zone. Our man to man is good.

Unless we’re in the business of improving the opponent’s stats, we should see man to man

Bradley has their top three scorers from last year, and both guards which is their strongest position. Spencer did ok, I thought, on defense.

Spencer and Gaines is a really physical combo. Spencer mentioned in the post game that teams try to body them, and he's just fine with them trying that.

I hope to see both Gaines and AJ let loose soon. Gaines driving three quarters court, that sort of thing. Gaines has historically been a slow starter. AJ started slow last year.

Unless we’re in the business of improving the opponent’s stats, we should see man to man

Beat around the bush why don't you.

Bradley has their top three scorers from last year, and both guards which is their strongest position. Spencer did ok, I thought, on defense.

Spencer and Gaines is a really physical combo. Spencer mentioned in the post game that teams try to body them, and he's just fine with them trying that.

I hope to see both Gaines and AJ let loose soon. Gaines driving three quarters court, that sort of thing. Gaines has historically been a slow starter. AJ started slow last year.
I'm hoping Gaines is healthy and good to go tonight.

I like us throwing a zone look out there 2-3 times a game just to confuse opponents out of timeouts.

Based on early evidence, I'd say nobody can dispute what you said. The most accurate statement is "Our players don't know what they're doing in a zone".

It is painful to watch and I am puzzled as to why since I assume we practice zones. In fact, it looks about the same as a pickup game at the YMCA. All of our players know Basketball, at this level, so I gotta think there is just a communication problem. If it can be fixed then no big deal.

Communication is probably a bigger deal than we know. None of these players have played with Spencer before, and this is their first time playing with Young in a game setting. Throw in Nance's half season last year and Boo/Beran being freshman the communication is probably not as crisp as it needs to be.

Reactions: Medill90
Zone befuddled Providence, taking them out of their inside game to jack up jumpers, but Radford shredded it with great patience (like Bradley did on the one possession we used it on Monday) and so did Norfolk State early on, until we switched to man. Our man defense was terrible against Merrimack. Might see a little of both as the season goes on, depending on the opponent.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Communication is probably a bigger deal than we know. None of these players have played with Spencer before, and this is their first time playing with Young in a game setting. Throw in Nance's half season last year and Boo/Beran being freshman the communication is probably not as crisp as it needs to be.

and why the losses should not be a shocker....and why significant growth is a possibility based on the talent that is there

Zone befuddled Providence, taking them out of their inside game to jack up jumpers, but Radford shredded it with great patience (like Bradley did on the one possession we used it on Monday) and so did Norfolk State early on, until we switched to man. Our man defense was terrible against Merrimack. Might see a little of both as the season goes on, depending on the opponent.

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, 60% of defense is 45% effort and 55% energy. Against Merrimack, we came out like zombies ready to rot and die.

Last edited:
and why the losses should not be a shocker....and why significant growth is a possibility based on the talent that is there

Come on. You really were not "shocked" to lose to D2 Merrimack for our home opener? I believe the Rivals headline called it a "stunning" and "shocking" loss! Of course there is room for growth, but let's not sugar coat the way we started the season.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Based on early evidence, I'd say nobody can dispute what you said. The most accurate statement is "Our players don't know what they're doing in a zone".

It is painful to watch and I am puzzled as to why since I assume we practice zones. In fact, it looks about the same as a pickup game at the YMCA. All of our players know Basketball, at this level, so I gotta think there is just a communication problem. If it can be fixed then no big deal.

I very much agree. I have often found myself wondering if they practice it at all. When you see 3 players covering the ball handler something is wrong. It seems it goes deeper than communication issues on the court.

Tricky thing is that we are likely to need zone. Mostly because I believe we are likely to get into foul trouble with experienced physical teams. But also as a surprise factor, etc.

So we should practice it. And there’s no substitute to practicing it in a competitive game. Problem is we burned practice opportunities against minor teams with a 1-3-1. When we should have been getting better with a 2-3. We are not height challenged, so we did not need to pack the middle to make up for it.

Come on. You really were not "shocked" to lose to D2 Merrimack for our home opener? I believe the Rivals headline called it a "stunning" and "shocking" loss! Of course there is room for growth, but let's not sugar coat the way we started the season.

I meant the losses for the entire season.

We're still going to see some losses in games NU should win.

Problem is we burned practice opportunities against minor teams with a 1-3-1. When
I would argue the win over Providence was one of the best we'll probably have this season and perhaps saved the confidence of this young team so I don't think "minor team" would include that game.

You're going to need a zone at some point in the season unless you consistently have players as good or better than the teams you're playing. Most years, going man-to-man for an entire game against Michigan State or other top echelon teams is not going to be a winner for Northwestern and is probably going to get your bigs into foul trouble. Playing a good zone is usually a matter of energy. The concepts in most cases are not that difficult. I've seen high school teams play excellent zone. But your players have to be ready to MOVE and take care of their responsibilities. A passive, YMCA-league style zone sucks.

Problem is we burned practice opportunities against minor teams with a 1-3-1. When
I would argue the win over Providence was one of the best we'll probably have this season and perhaps saved the confidence of this young team so I don't think "minor team" would include that game.

I don’t dispute that. But we followed that up with spending a ridiculous amount of time in a 1-3-1 against Radford. Close to 30 minutes I think. Dropped it when down by 20. So what did we do after? We faced mighty Norfolk State and spent around 8 minutes in a 1-3-1.

So there, close to half the time against Radford and NS was spent in a 1-3-1.

We need multiple defenses and switching between them . Tight man-to-man Loose man-to-man multiple zones both in your face and sinking back. Gotta practice all in games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT