ADVERTISEMENT

“Cats against the world” t-shirts

I didn't think I'd see the day that Northwestern was in marketing lock step with the city of Detroit, but there you have it

It’s the standard coaching strategy for a team embroiled in scandal.

I don’t see anything wrong with the idea.

If more hazing stories fail to be exposed, the us vs everyone motivational approach might unify the team for the season. Otherwise, the benefit will last for a few weeks before the team falls apart, limping on to a merciful end to a terrible season.

”Sometime, when the team is up against it -- and the press is berating the boys -- tell them to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Fitzer...”

Last edited:
It’s the standard coaching strategy for a team in embroiled in scandal.

I don’t see anything wrong with the idea.

If more hazing stories fail to be exposed, the us vs everyone motivational approach might unify the team for the season. Otherwise, the benefit will last for a few weeks before the team falls apart, limping on to a merciful end to a terrible season.

”Sometime, when the team is up against it -- and the press is berating the boys -- tell them to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Fitzer...”
^
Totally gets it

Those of who are tied up in your knickers over this like Bernstein need to move along. If you are that worried about social justice, buy some Bud Light and think of ways to fix urban k-12 education.

I don't see why the players shouldn't be entitled to their own opinions. Even more important if they have a different one than the Mainstream Media.

It would be a sad world if people couldn't express a different point of view. It's not like firing Fitz is a matter of fact - it's one of opinion and judgement. And no one should be able to dictate what the "right" opinion is.

I don't see why the players shouldn't be entitled to their own opinions. Even more important if they have a different one than the Mainstream Media.

It would be a sad world if people couldn't express a different point of view. It's not like firing Fitz is a matter of fact - it's one of opinion and judgement. And no one should be able to dictate what the "right" opinion is.
Well, the firing of Fitz is a matter of fact, but I definitely have an opinion about it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
This school needs to learn from the Hogans and Paternos of this world that opening your mouth and making yourself the victim is not the best course of action. Wounds don't heal if you keep picking at it.

This school needs to learn from the Hogans and Paternos of this world that opening your mouth and making yourself the victim is not the best course of action. Wounds don't heal if you keep picking at it.
Victim? they are just giving the finger to all the people in the media who have convicted them before any trial has been completed.

Z7HeRxU.png

Dr Gragg stepping up.....HAHAHAHAHA
Seriously? On this, we finally get a speedy response from him?

—-

Dear AD Gragg,

Study what you need to, in order to ensure that no further hazing takes place.

Atone when it is time to publicly atone.

But never bow to the sort of mob which seeks eternal offense. You will never satisfy them. And maybe don’t publicly criticize the coaches trying to keep your train wreck of a department on the tracks?

Given your poor performance since the scandal erupted, perhaps your best bet is to remain silent, as usual. Why would anyone on earth wish to work for you, when you might attack them in the press?

I just thought that stating these thoughts publicly was the right thing to do. I learned from your example.

Your least fervent admirer,
Cattul

Last edited:

I “understand” the CYA nature of this message but from a logical standpoint, how does this shirt state that hazing is condoned as Gragg implies? Fitz stopped the activity that he saw in the 200s, had an anti hazing policy and open door policy, and per the NU investigation did not know about any of the other hazing. He is/was a mentor to hundreds of players and friend to many coaches. His character and integrity have otherwise not been questioned outside of the “blind spot” for hazing. I think everyone could just lay off the team and what they decide to wear.

It’s not as if Braun walked into a press conference wearing a “Gragg” headband a la Jim McMahon.

I “understand” the CYA nature of this message but from a logical standpoint, how does this shirt state that hazing is condoned as Gragg implies? Fitz stopped the activity that he saw in the 200s, had an anti hazing policy and open door policy, and per the NU investigation did not know about any of the other hazing. He is/was a mentor to hundreds of players and friend to many coaches. His character and integrity have otherwise not been questioned outside of the “blind spot” for hazing. I think everyone could just lay off the team and what they decide to wear.

It’s not as if Braun walked into a press conference wearing a “Gragg” headband a la Jim McMahon.

I dunno. He sucks, but he’s saying that “the world” includes those accusing the program of misdeeds and hazing. The t-shirts do imply that the accusers are lying.

This is truly absurd. Oh Graggy.

It’s been a rough time to be a NU football player.

I’m assuming there are *some* hoping that the firing would cause some self-reflection and perhaps a change in certain elements of the culture.

Those shirts being ordered reminds me of the letter from the ENTIRE football team.

Very all lives matter vibes

Personally did not envision a world where I could cheer against an NU team. I am not there, but its a possibility.

This is truly absurd. Oh Graggy.

It’s been a rough time to be a NU football player.

I’m assuming there are *some* hoping that the firing would cause some self-reflection and perhaps a change in certain elements of the culture.

Those shirts being ordered reminds me of the letter from the ENTIRE football team.
I think I'm gonna have to order one of those shirts and then wear it at the games.

So Gragg is now denouncing the football team for rallying around a fired coach that he himself evidently believed shouldn’t be fired, but only suspended for a few weeks? The official NU position was ‘these allegations are concerning and need to be addressed, but the head coach doesn’t deserve to be suspended for more than half a month.’ Then they flipped on a dime, based on no new info to them (beyond outcry from certain quarters) and fired the guy. And Gragg, at least nominally the person “in charge” of NU athletics, is condemning others for essentially supporting his first official position on this. What an embarrassment. He absolutely needs to go. Gutless, terrible leadership — even if you agree with the Fitz firing.

I dunno. He sucks, but he’s saying that “the world” includes those accusing the program of misdeeds and hazing. The t-shirts do imply that the accusers are lying.
The news stories also imply that the current team is a cesspool of widespread hazing culture. These players have to get in front of cameras and know that people could be saying “this guy could just as well be one of the dry humpers.”

And this stunt is going to help put butts in the seat? If anything it will turn off the casual fan. I'm now having second thoughts about making the trip to Rutgers after seeing this.

So Gragg is now denouncing the football team for rallying around a fired coach that he himself evidently believed shouldn’t be fired, but only suspended for a few weeks? The official NU position was ‘these allegations are concerning and need to be addressed, but the head coach doesn’t deserve to be suspended for more than half a month.’ Then they flipped on a dime, based on no new info to them (beyond outcry from certain quarters) and fired the guy. And Gragg, at least nominally the person “in charge” of NU athletics, is condemning others for essentially supporting his first official position on this. What an embarrassment. He absolutely needs to go. Gutless, terrible leadership — even if you agree with the Fitz firing.
"Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia."

Thank goodness Braun has sidesteped it. Smart move. Here is from a news report on MSN:

"While Gragg took a strong chance against the apparent support of Fitzgerald, interim head coach David Braun declined to reprimand his staff.

"It's not my business to censor anyone's free speech," he said."

You sound woke.
Villox I don't know what's going on but we have been agreeing on all sorts of stuff recently and your aside joking comments have been making me chuckle. Feel like we used to be on opposite sides of many discussions! Must be a sign that I'm getting smarter as I age and agree with more of your enlightened points of view.

Maybe getting rid of the Rant Board was indeed for the best.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2 and villox
And here is some more directly from the players:

“[Interim coach David Braun], he’s been preaching that we should stick together, especially during a time like this,” wide receiver Bryce Kirtz said, via ABC Chicago. “The shirts are really a reminder, allowing us to stick together.”

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT