ADVERTISEMENT

“Cats against the world” t-shirts

Villox I don't know what's going on but we have been agreeing on all sorts of stuff recently and your aside joking comments have been making me chuckle. Feel like we used to be on opposite sides of many discussions! Must be a sign that I'm getting smarter as I age and agree with more of your enlightened points of view.

Maybe getting rid of the Rant Board was indeed for the best.

I think it’s a sign that the wing sauce from Blondies has a way of bringing us all together (and that none of life should be taken too seriously, especially on a sports message board).

I don't see why the players shouldn't be entitled to their own opinions. Even more important if they have a different one than the Mainstream Media.

It would be a sad world if people couldn't express a different point of view. It's not like firing Fitz is a matter of fact - it's one of opinion and judgement. And no one should be able to dictate what the "right" opinion is.
Amen! Country was built on freedom of speech and expression. Should apply equally to all!!! Glad you all agree ;)

“[Interim coach David Braun], he’s been preaching that we should stick together, especially during a time like this,” wide receiver Bryce Kirtz said, via ABC Chicago. “The shirts are really a reminder, allowing us to stick together.”

Which is a perfectly reasonable, understandable rationale. The program is under siege, and all these guys have at this point is each other to rely on.

I do not see, or read between the lines, any message on these shirts that says "I'm for hazing!" Maybe Gragg is a better reader.

In any case, sending out a public blast condemning the act without (I'm presuming) discussing it with those involved shows a terrible lack of leadership savvy.

I think it’s a sign that the wing sauce from Blondies has a way of bringing us all together (and that none of life should be taken too seriously, especially on a sports message board).
As long as they're boneless wings.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
They think he got railroaded and they are right. They are entitled to express their opinion and express support for the coach that was the main reason many of them came to NU.
They are free to leave and had a 30 day to do so and play this season.

Reactions: KappaKat
So Gragg is now denouncing the football team for rallying around a fired coach that he himself evidently believed shouldn’t be fired, but only suspended for a few weeks? The official NU position was ‘these allegations are concerning and need to be addressed, but the head coach doesn’t deserve to be suspended for more than half a month.’ Then they flipped on a dime, based on no new info to them (beyond outcry from certain quarters) and fired the guy. And Gragg, at least nominally the person “in charge” of NU athletics, is condemning others for essentially supporting his first official position on this. What an embarrassment. He absolutely needs to go. Gutless, terrible leadership — even if you agree with the Fitz firing.
Don’t forget, he didn’t even deem the announcement of Fitz suspension as important enough to cut his vacation short. This guy is just so so bad at his job.

“[Interim coach David Braun], he’s been preaching that we should stick together, especially during a time like this,” wide receiver Bryce Kirtz said, via ABC Chicago. “The shirts are really a reminder, allowing us to stick together.”

Which is a perfectly reasonable, understandable rationale. The program is under siege, and all these guys have at this point is each other to rely on.

I do not see, or read between the lines, any message on these shirts that says "I'm for hazing!" Maybe Gragg is a better reader.

In any case, sending out a public blast condemning the act without (I'm presuming) discussing it with those involved shows a terrible lack of leadership savvy.
To be fair, Gragg was celebrating his birthday in Tahiti so he couldn't be available to discuss with the players or coaches.

All public statements from Schill (Tribune letter) and Gragg have been purely self-serving statements meant to inoculate themselves from the mob. Leadership does not enter into it. Courage does not enter into it.

Here is a thought for Dr. Gragg. Your program is embroiled in the biggest mess it has arguably ever had. It might be wise to actually attend practice the last two weeks and have a feel for where the players heads are. If you showed up to a practice you would have known these shirts have been around for 2 weeks. Doesn’t matter whether you like the shirts or hate them, Gragg’s own incompetence led to this going viral.

Here is a thought for Dr. Gragg. Your program is embroiled in the biggest mess it has arguably ever had. It might be wise to actually attend practice the last two weeks and have a feel for where the players heads are. If you showed up to a practice you would have known these shirts have been around for 2 weeks. Doesn’t matter whether you like the shirts or hate them, Gragg’s own incompetence led to this going viral.
Are you saying his Gragg reflex is slow?

Is this actually true? That they’ve been wearing for the last two weeks and he somehow didn’t attend a single practice that entire time during which he was giving all these bland public statements about supporting the players and student athletes and supposedly might be providing oversight under the new regime (well just new HC)? Or I guess he could have attended and just not bothered to comment on the shirts until the practice where they opened it up to the media….

Either of these options is very on brand with his dereliction of duty and media pandering BS. If that’s true, it’s so bad it kinda makes me laugh out loud to myself at the hilarious incompetence we are being subjected to…

(Edit) because just thinking about it I don’t believe fall practice has started 2 weeks ago? But perhaps you mean preseason workouts the players and staff were wearing them…

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Is this actually true? That they’ve been wearing for the last two weeks and he somehow didn’t attend a single practice that entire time during which he was giving all these bland public statements about supporting the players and student athletes and supposedly might be providing oversight under the new regime (well just new HC)? Or I guess he could have attended and just not bothered to comment on the shirts until the practice where they opened it up to the media….

Either of these options is very on brand with his dereliction of duty and media pandering BS. If that’s true, it’s so bad it kinda makes me laugh out loud to myself at the hilarious incompetence we are being subjected to…

(Edit:) because just thinking about it I don’t believe fall practice has started 2 weeks ago? But perhaps you mean preseason workouts the players and staff were wearing them…
There was a Tweet (X) a couple weeks ago showing one of the WRs wearing the shirt at a get together. I’m sure players have been wearing them around campus between then and now.

Reactions: ricko654321
I dunno. He sucks, but he’s saying that “the world” includes those accusing the program of misdeeds and hazing. The t-shirts do imply that the accusers are lying.
Why is that bad to imply the accusers are lying? And they are not implying it; they literally said in the letter from the entire team that Richardson is lying. The players know better than anybody else so it is crazy that people are mad at them for supporting their coach and the program. They clearly think Richardson is lying and should be able and encouraged to express their opinion. And this is a very tame way of expressing that opinion. . As others have stated, it’s not like the shirts are endorsing hazing.

Gragg is basically telling them that they can’t think for themselves and have to support Schill’s position that Fitz is bad and unmentionable like Voldemort. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dr Gragg stepping up.....HAHAHAHAHA
Uhhh ... If I was on the team (I'm not), and after the recent weeks' cluster-xxxx, I would find myself seriously confused in terms of my individual and team identity and with no means to find the resolution that I am looking for. I have to believe that this is a real challenge for team members heading into the season. And so anything that remotely resembles a positive team identification is OK with me. It's not like they have much to work with given how things have been handled by Pres and AD.

However ... to read the AD's diatribe (front page NY Times and elsewhere) against these student athletes that he should be serving (and not vice versa) is startling in its arrogance and ineptitude. Really, you were extremely disappointed? Well get in line.

And btw, stop sending me your BS Public Relations email droppings which are devoid and transparently self serving.

There was a Tweet (X) a couple weeks ago showing one of the WRs wearing the shirt at a get together. I’m sure players have been wearing them around campus between then and now.
I remember that too.

It's strange that even with a culture of hazing and abuse alleged to be pervasive in the program, so many players have stuck it out and actually support the former coach who "should've known".

And here is some more directly from the players:

They need something to stick after being so slippery getting through all those lathered up linemen to the showers.

If we ever see some discovery in these cases, half the posters here are up for a lot of word eating. Though I suspect whichever side it plays out, those wrong will simply lose interest and disappear from here.

Considering the amount of personal attacks and name calling - hope Lou and Cappy at least allow some fair play down the road.

• Love
Reactions: KappaKat
A rich alum needs to give one out to every tix holder to every home game this season.

If we ever see some discovery in these cases, half the posters here are up for a lot of word eating. Though I suspect whichever side it plays out, those wrong will simply lose interest and disappear from here.

Considering the amount of personal attacks and name calling - hope Lou and Cappy at least allow some fair play down the road.
Settle down

Rittenberg couldn’t get the real story, but inquisitive minds notice that the manufacturer is located in Davison, Michigan. At least it’s a boost for Main Street.

Rittenberg couldn’t get the real story, but inquisitive minds notice that the manufacturer is located in Davison, Michigan. At least it’s a boost for Main Street.
That’s not very helpful.

These could be troll shirts planted by UM or MSU alums; both are less than an hour from Davison.

Let’s all proceed cautiously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT