ADVERTISEMENT

“They are who we thought they were”

Notre Dame was better than us this week. They are not the #3 or #4 team in the country and will get blown out of they make it to the CFP.

Reactions: DkeCat and xxjfgxx
Everybody knows how good Alabama is (and Clemson as well).

ND has a good team. Good enough to get to the top 4.

We move onto Iowa.
I would take any team in the current top 10 over ND on neutral ground except UK, if I’m honest.

Very happy to move on to Iowa though.

I'd like to believe that Notre Dame and Michigan are both top teams that we had a chance to beat in the fourth quarter.

I I had to rank 'em, I'd go:

1) Alabama
large gap

2) Clemson
huuuge gap

3) Michigan
4) Notre Dame
5) Oklahoma
6) Georgia
7) LSU
8) West Virginia
small gap

The rest, like Ohio State (though they weren't great today), Washington State, Central Florida, Mississippi State

Huh? Won’t we know this year if ND makes the CFP and gets blown out by Alabama again, like during the Teo catfish season?

ND vs LSU... again.

Losing in a National Title game is something you wish you could live to see...

And we will never know this year.
I’m not sure I follow. Last year you beat LSU. The year before that you finished 4-8. The year before that you got blown by OSU. The year before that you beat LSU in a lesser bowl. The year before that you vacated all of your wins. What’s your point? I attended this game and I think you will beat the rest of your schedule and then get blown out in the CFP. We may find out, or you may lose a game and not make the CFP, in which case we will have found anyway...

Reactions: cat inkansas
Everybody knows how good Alabama is (and Clemson as well).

ND has a good team. Good enough to get to the top 4.

We move onto Iowa.
To be fair, Alabama and Clemson again look to be in a league of their own. I don’t think ND, Michigan, or anyone else can beat those two, and I bet that we’re *yawn* in for another title game rematch between those two programs.

Let’s focus on winning the West and then getting to the Rose Bowl. Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois stand in our way - let’s knock them down.

I'd like to believe that Notre Dame and Michigan are both top teams that we had a chance to beat in the fourth quarter.

I I had to rank 'em, I'd go:

1) Alabama
large gap

2) Clemson
huuuge gap

3) Michigan
4) Notre Dame
5) Oklahoma
6) Georgia
7) LSU
8) West Virginia
small gap

The rest, like Ohio State (though they weren't great today), Washington State, Central Florida, Mississippi State

You realize ND beat Michigan without Book & Williams?

And ND didn’t give up an offensive TD until 2 minutes to go in the game playing prevent defense.

Michigan couldn’t move the ball on ND.

You realize ND beat Michigan without Book & Williams?

And ND didn’t give up an offensive TD until 2 minutes to go in the game playing prevent defense.

Michigan couldn’t move the ball on ND.

I did! That was a great win!

I'm just a random guy on the Northwestern message board who ranked Michigan one ahead of Notre Dame on November 3. They're playing really well right now too. That's all.

I’m not sure I follow. Last year you beat LSU. The year before that you finished 4-8. The year before that you got blown by OSU. The year before that you beat LSU in a lesser bowl. The year before that you vacated all of your wins. What’s your point? I attended this game and I think you will beat the rest of your schedule and then get blown out in the CFP. We may find out, or you may lose a game and not make the CFP, in which case we will have found anyway...

ND has been playing to the level of their competition.
Their three best games have been against the three best teams the played.
They won those three games by a 17 point average.
The three worst teams they played they won by a 7 point average.

ND vs LSU... again.

Losing in a National Title game is something you wish you could live to see...
Call it ambition or maturity or whatever you want, but I have personal goals & dreams (“wishes”) that don’t involve a game played between 19-22 year olds. I feel sorry for you if watching your college team get pasted by Alabama was your lifetime wish.

Plus, NU nearly won a “national title” in 1995 but lost to USC in the Rose Bowl. Study up son.

I did! That was a great win!

I'm just a random guy on the Northwestern message board who ranked Michigan one ahead of Notre Dame on November 3. They're playing really well right now too. That's all.

The funny thing is (most) ND fans are rooting like heck for you guys to destroy Michigan.

ND has been playing to the level of their competition.
Their three best games have been against the three best teams the played.
They won those three games by a 17 point average.
The three worst teams they played they won by a 7 point average.
Ok? Playing up/down to your competition is what average teams do. I know because I’ve seen a lot of average NU teams (including this one). If you think you’re walking into a CFP level game and beating anyone by 17 I dunno what to tell you. Also, not sure that those victories are anything to write home about if you’ve been following those teams’ seasons....

I'd put ND above Michigan by virtue of their head-to-head win despite the fact that both teams are playing much better now and so a game between the two would look very different.

But I don't think it would come to pass.

And whoever finishes #3 will at least get the chance to win their first game. Alabama looks like a complete monster on both sides of the ball. Looks like they'll go wire to wire unless they just play uninspired at some point.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Ok? Playing up/down to your competition is what average teams do. I know because I’ve seen a lot of average NU teams (including this one). If you think you’re walking into a CFP level game and beating anyone by 17 I dunno what to tell you. Also, not sure that those victories are anything to write home about if you’ve been following those teams’ seasons....

Like Michigan?

Like Michigan?
I don’t think UM will be in the CFP, so....

Much like us playing Purdue now, I think an ND vs UM matchup at this point in the season would look a bit different. You also got them by a score...your “average of 17” was clearly including Stanford and VT who are showing to be in down years.

You got your win bro, be like the ND kid who puked his brains out in the concourse outside of Section 130 and know when it’s time to go home.

Reactions: NU Houston
ND has a solid team this year. I'm frustrated that we still have a talent gap to overcome, but am not surprised based on relative recruiting rankings. I hope ND comes to Evanston again in our lifetime. I like our program trajectory and hope the talent gap continues to close.

Still, we are 2-1 now vs ND since over the last nearly 25 years.

You know how hard it is to go undefeated for an entire season? Actually you probably don't, never mind. Good luck the rest of the season.
Look man, you don’t need my approval and neither does your team. You won, I’m just not sucking your team’s D...it happens. I could be very wrong.

Unless you worked for Coach Holtz, and probably not even then, there is no possible way you would remember a kid who dropped off your radar after taking ONE unofficial visit with a bunch of other prospects. Fitz's father -- who has no motive to lie-- is on record to the press telling the story as I have told it. Give up the fairytale story about Fitz burning with hatred because ND didn't offer him. It just ain't true.

BTW, if it your story were true -- which it's not-- for ND to miss on recruiting someone who won the Nagurski and Bednarik awards, was a consensus AA, and first team all Big Ten twice ... let's just say I wouldn't treasure that memory if I were an Irish fan.
Some say he has a dislike for Illinois because they thought he wasn’t good enough to play in the Big Ten. No idea if this is fact, but it has floated around for years.

ND is really good. NU had a shot, but we’re just not there yet. I have faith we will be. Onto Iowa.

Go Cats.
ND and NU were pretty evenly matched. This game came down to who had the ball in the last significant drive. Unfortunately, that was ND. Give credit to their QB as he converted 3 third downs on the last drive. If he didn't, we would have no doubt won. Evenly matched. Not saying we are a playoff team but ND is not.

ND and NU were pretty evenly matched. This game came down to who had the ball in the last significant drive. Unfortunately, that was ND. Give credit to their QB as he converted 3 third downs on the last drive. If he didn't, we would have no doubt won. Evenly matched. Not saying we are a playoff team but ND is not.
You mean ND gift wrapped a blocked punt to allow Northwestern a position to score (which they were having trouble doing) to get back in the game. Notre Dame wins out, they are a playoff team. Simple as that.

I know Northwestern isn't used to undefeated seasons but that's how it works.

You mean ND gift wrapped a blocked punt to allow Northwestern a position to score (which they were having trouble doing) and get back in the game. Notre Dame wins out, they are a playoff team. Simple.

Look, you guys are better than us but barely. A true playoff team would be a 20+ favorite against a 5-4 team. We are scrappy and it was anyone's game whoever had the ball with the last significant possession, unfortunately it was ND. But if it was NU, we would have won.
Unless you think we are better than we are. Just my opinion, I think we are a decent team but I don't think we hang with a Clemson, Alabama, etc. But even vegas had us as less than 10 pt dogs against you guys. You are a good team, but imo, you guys are going to get SERIOUSLY and thoroughly embarrassed against either Clemson or Alabama if you manage to keep winning against mid level competition.

For national attention, it's probably better for ND ego if they get upset by a mid level team the next couple weeks so ND goes to a solid bowl and doesn't embarrass itself on national TV in the playoffs. No doubt ND would be 20 pt dogs against Clemson or Alabama.

You mean ND gift wrapped a blocked punt to allow Northwestern a position to score (which they were having trouble doing) to get back in the game. Notre Dame wins out, they are a playoff team. Simple as that.

Geez, you won the game, you are the better team, but please go back to your board and leave us little peons to ourselves.

Look, you guys are better than us but barely. A true playoff team would be a 20+ favorite against a 5-4 team. We are scrappy and it was anyone's game whoever had the ball with the last significant possession, unfortunately it was ND. But if it was NU, we would have won.
Unless you think we are better than we are. Just my opinion, I think we are a decent team but I don't think we hang with a Clemson, Alabama, etc. But even vegas had us as less than 10 pt dogs against you guys. You are a good team, but imo, you guys are going to get SERIOUSLY and thoroughly embarrassed against either Clemson or Alabama if you manage to keep winning against mid level competition.

For national attention, it's probably better for ND ego if they get upset by a mid level team the next couple weeks so ND goes to a solid bowl and doesn't embarrass itself on national TV in the playoffs. No doubt ND would be 20 pt dogs against Clemson or Alabama.
Your comment implied that Notre Dame wasn't a playoff team and at this point that's simply not true. You're probably right on Alabama as they are special, but I personally think ND can play with anyone else.

Again, good luck in the Big Ten title game. I'll be pulling for you.

Reactions: scru and StreamCat
ND had 2 fluky turnovers/plays on their side of the field (fumble and blocked punt) that gift-wrapped NU points, and they lost 60 yards on offense due to stupid self inflicted penalties, and were still up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter.

ND also netted 200+ yards over NU despite losing the time of possession battle and never trailed in the game once.

NUs defense was completely shredded by Ian Book in the 2nd half.

Take away even just half of the misfortune above and this is a 3-4 score game somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-10.

Alabama is in a league of their own but Clemson and everyone else after them is very much a winnable game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
ND had 2 fluky turnovers/plays on their side of the field (fumble and blocked punt) that gift-wrapped NU points, and they lost 60 yards on offense due to stupid self inflicted penalties, and were still up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter.

ND also netted 200+ yards over NU despite losing the time of possession battle and never trailed in the game once.

NUs defense was completely shredded by Ian Book in the 2nd half.

Take away even just half of the misfortune above and this is a 3-4 score game somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-10.

Alabama is in a league of their own but Clemson and everyone else after them is very much a winnable game.
Oh, boo boo! You're breaking my heart.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT