ADVERTISEMENT

100 days

Tasker was before my time, but I'd rank our punt returners like this:

1. Gissendaner
2. Mark
3. Musso
4. Nebraska's Hail Mary
5. Kafka throwing the ball backwards
6. Running away from the punt so the defense can down it inside the two-yard line.

61 days. Northwestern beat Notre Dame every year between 1959 and 1962.

Thanks for posting the video of the Wisconsin game in 1995. In addition to the drizzle that was evident on the video, I have a few memories of that game:

1) I think it may have been the first 11 a.m. kickoff the Cats ever had. I remember thinking how weird it was to leave for a game at what should have been a late breakfast time.

2) It was the first sellout since the 70’s era Notre Dame games, and it took forever to get into the stadium. People were still coming in (and griping about the lines) toward the end of the first quarter.

3) I think it may have been one of the ultimate “statistics are for losers” games. If memory serves, the Badgers gained more than twice the yards the Cats did while getting beat 35-0. Of course, they did turn the ball over about 7 times, and missed a midrange field goal.

4) It was the game that made the Cats bowl eligible; for the 20 years after the B1G allowed more than one team to go to a bowl in 1975, the goal of bowl eligibility was pretty much the attainable holy grail among all the Cats fans I knew, since winning the conference was as probable as flying to Mars. Winning the 6th game meant going to a bowl, and it felt incredible.

Thanks for posting the video of the Wisconsin game in 1995. In addition to the drizzle that was evident on the video, I have a few memories of that game:

1) I think it may have been the first 11 a.m. kickoff the Cats ever had. I remember thinking how weird it was to leave for a game at what should have been a late breakfast time.

2) It was the first sellout since the 70’s era Notre Dame games, and it took forever to get into the stadium. People were still coming in (and griping about the lines) toward the end of the first quarter.

3) I think it may have been one of the ultimate “statistics are for losers” games. If memory serves, the Badgers gained more than twice the yards the Cats did while getting beat 35-0. Of course, they did turn the ball over about 7 times, and missed a midrange field goal.

4) It was the game that made the Cats bowl eligible; for the 20 years after the B1G allowed more than one team to go to a bowl in 1975, the goal of bowl eligibility was pretty much the attainable holy grail among all the Cats fans I knew, since winning the conference was as probable as flying to Mars. Winning the 6th game meant going to a bowl, and it felt incredible.
Sounds like a great day toast in the rain.

I love this countdown, the time is going fast--so fast though that "my life is beginning to flash before my eyes".

Last edited:
THANK YOU for finding that tape of the Wisconsin game! I've seen hardly any of the 1995 season except for the PSU game, the first half of the Notre Dame game (from an ND fan who taped over the 2nd half) and the Rose Bowl. I had no TV and worked Saturdays on consulting projects. That day, I was literally underwater doing maintenance on data loggers on the bottom of the Tygart River in WV. My dive buddy and I were listening for college football scores radio afterward and went nuts when we heard the final score. Wonderful memories!

I loved watching Robey and Rice whirl around creating chaos.

Valensizi missed a FG! A very bad day for Sam.

God bless Matt Hartl and the violence he delivered at about 8:20!

Johnson 30 yards downfield knocking two guys out of the play. I love it!

And Matt Rice's hurry that forced the pick that Warren returned "very very slowly" for about 60 yards.

Thanks again for posting this!

And the reserves stoned Wisconsin on the last drive to preserve the shutout!

Last edited:
THANK YOU for finding that tape of the Wisconsin game! I've seen hardly any of the 1995 season except for the PSU game, the first half of the Notre Dame game (from an ND fan who taped over the 2nd half) and the Rose Bowl. That day, I was literally underwater doing maintenance on data loggers on the bottom of the Tygart River in WV. My dive buddy and I were listening for college football scores radio afterward and went nuts when we heard the final score. Wonderful memories!

I loved watching Robey and Rice whirl around creating chaos.

Valensizi missed a FG! A very bad day for Sam.

God bless Matt Hartl and the violence he delivered at about 8:20!

Johnson 30 yards downfield knocking two guys out of the play. I love it!

And Matt Rice's hurry that forced the pick that Warren returned "very very slowly" for about 60 yards.

Thanks again for posting this!

And the reserves stone Wisconsin on the last drive!
That '95 team played beautiful football.

I watched that clip of the Wisconsin game. Felt like Bennett was everywhere. He's never included on a list of all-time greats, but boy was he good in that game.

Also: The Wisconsin QB sure did fall down a lot. Usually it was because of the NU D, but sometimes...it was not.

I love this countdown, the time is going fast--so fast though that "my life is beginning to flash before my eyes".

Thanks - I'm enjoying doing it. Anyone following will see I have no rhyme or reason and probably have even already repeated myself. I honestly don't know what I'm going to pick most days until I do.

Reactions: NU Houston
Thanks - I'm enjoying doing it. Anyone following will see I have no rhyme or reason and probably have even already repeated myself. I honestly don't know what I'm going to pick most days until I do.
How about more from the Parseghian era--I did see the ND video from then. NU Football has been a bit like the life cycle of the Cicada. They're always there, but re-emerge again every so many years, in NU's case, better than ever..

Last edited:
Can't wait for this season to begin. I think we're going to be real good this year. It's worth posting this again.

Reactions: GOUNUII and drewjin
I think it may have been one of the ultimate “statistics are for losers” games. If memory serves, the Badgers gained more than twice the yards the Cats did while getting beat 35-0. Of course, they did turn the ball over about 7 times, and missed a midrange field goal.

It's up there with the 1975 Arizona game. Nice to have one of those "stats are for losers" games go our way for a change.

Reactions: SeventiesCAT
56 days. I love NU highlights packages that just leave out the heartbreak. Only Drake Dunsmore and Brian Peters and other exciting plays in this one!

I will admit I completely forgot about the existence of Sidney Stewart. He caught 10 passes in this game!

Reactions: BarefootCat
56 days. I love NU highlights packages that just leave out the heartbreak. Only Drake Dunsmore and Brian Peters and other exciting plays in this one!

I will admit I completely forgot about the existence of Sidney Stewart. He caught 10 passes in this game!

Yeah, we did a lot of fantastic things in that game (the Dunsmore run after catch will amaze me for many years to come), and I really thought we were going to win. Give credit to Auburn, though.

Reactions: TerraCat
Yeah, we did a lot of fantastic things in that game (the Dunsmore run after catch will amaze me for many years to come), and I really thought we were going to win. Give credit to Auburn, though.

That Dunsmore 60+ yard steam-roller-catch-and-run for a TD is my single best memory of that game. So many other great plays though. I'd completely forgot that Kafka converted three 4th downs in a row to deliver the tying score.

If we did a poll here of the single favorite play of the Rose Bowl era, I think Dunsmore's TD there would be a very strong contender for the win.

Rose Bowl era? You mean post Rose Bowl era? And yes ... in that era it would be a very strong contender.

GOUNUII

If we did a poll here of the single favorite play of the Rose Bowl era, I think Dunsmore's TD there would be a very strong contender for the win.
I was sitting in the south end zone and watched Dunsmore barrel down the field right toward us on that TD run. He was like a runaway locomotive, nothing could stop him. . So cool, will never forget it.

Reactions: DaCat
I was sitting in the south end zone and watched Dunsmore barrel down the field right toward us on that TD run. He was like a runaway locomotive, nothing could stop him. . So cool, will never forget it.
I was, too. Perhaps we high-fived each other.

One of the all-time Greek-Tragic games NU has played. One play away from fame. Auburn thought they'd already won that game 5 times or so.

66 days. Whoa nellie, it's Keith Jackson in Evanston.

Thanks for posting these. Watching this one reminds me of how great our defense was that year. Hank does a great job with the D, but boy, this group set the bar. #1 defense in the country. They just smashed PSU who was supposed to have one of the best OL’s in the country. Fitzgerald was a monster.

One of the all-time Greek-Tragic games NU has played. One play away from fame. Auburn thought they'd already won that game 5 times or so.
I was just watching the highlights of the Missouruh loss in OT and didn't have the heart to post it

55 days. Lots of Chase Daniel here, but his mom must be hanging out with Jeff Brohm's son, because she's nowhere to be found.

I had forgotten how putrid the Badgers were that day. Our defense had something to do with that.

Seeing Mike Warren lumbering down the sideline carrying a loaf of bread is priceless.

The crowd went nuts when we stopped them on that last play at the goal line to preserve the shutout. I was seated more south on the west side, so I could not see it in the corner. I just heard a huge roar and knew that we had stopped them.

54 days. Not that exciting of a highlight, but I do like the score, plus we haven't done much with Trumpy here yet.

Kinda blurry and we lost, but some fun highlights, particularly if you like Colby Swiss Cheese

I remember after the first onside kick I told my brother in law "at least we get the ball back"

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT