ADVERTISEMENT

2nd half thread

Looking at this from another perspective I never thought we would be 5 and 1

That was awful and our O-line got worse as the game went on. Time to put the young guys in there. Schmidt is like a colander out there. The difference was Kyric McGowan. How he could fumble that ball is incomprehensible

Sucks to lose, especially in such a fashion after coming back and taking the lead, but they played up to us and we played our worst game of the year.

Still a ton to play for this team, starting with focusing on winning the West by beating Minnesota and/or Illinois.

Reactions: bjm989
The entire team was flat. A bunch of flat Rece Davises out there. This was a team loss. Now we need to rebound and win the West and then play for the championship.

Frankly, the BCS championship was a pipe dream without an effective offense.

Today the O-line was pretty bad. The run-blocking was bad and the pass protection was bad. Ramsey faced pressure all day.

It's something to work on for sure!

Lines are only as good as their weakest link. Most of the breakdowns started at RG. We were playing a backup today.

I feel like you're kind of agreeing with me that the oline hasn't taken the step forward that we need it to take.

The OL has been a problem for a while. Bad OL coaches don’t land top OL recruits. We have a good OL Coach now and recruits are responding to him but in the mean time he is trying to piece together a decent OL with guys he didn’t bring in. They are better than they were but there is only so much he can do given the talent he is working with. It would also help if we had the ability to consistently threaten the defense deep to make the defense less compact around the line of scrimmage. We really don’t have the downfield WR threat nor a QB with an arm capable of scaring a defense on its heels.

It would also help if we had the ability to consistently threaten the defense deep to make the defense less compact around the line of scrimmage. We really don’t have the downfield WR threat nor a QB with an arm capable of scaring a defense on its heels.
Agree, and especially with the quoted portion. We desperately need a playmaker or two with some separation ability.

Reactions: nu greek
I think it’s fair to say we need a new RG. It’s been a weak spot all year but it’s gotten worse since the backup entered due to injury. If you rewatch the game closely, a lot of the initial OL breakdowns started at RG. I’d like to see Franks or Priebe inserted at that spot.
Schmidt replaced Wiederkehr most of the game and played okay. RT Vogel needs to improve too.

Agree, and especially with the quoted portion. We desperately need a playmaker or two with some separation ability.

We have guys who can separate. We don’t have a guy that defenses want to give 7 yards of cushion because they are afraid he will run by them.

The entire team was flat. A bunch of flat Rece Davises out there. This was a team loss. Now we need to rebound and win the West and then play for the championship.

Frankly, the BCS championship was a pipe dream without an effective offense.

This. Piss out the Kool-Aid everyone had been guzzling and flush it. We’re not built to realistically compete for national championships (yet). But the division is in our grasp. After that, it’s all about staying within ourselves and showing up for the B1G championship.

Crazy that taking a simple handoff has caused a fumble two weeks in a row. Last week it was Bowser on the GL but we were able to overcome it. This week the timing was worse and MSU made just enough plays (and one of the more unusual-looking FGs) to make us pay.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT