ADVERTISEMENT

39 NU football players make Academic All-Big Ten

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Thirty-nine Wildcat football players received All-Big Ten academic honors today. That's more than a third of the team!

To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be letterwinners who are in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.

Special recognition to Deonte Gibson, who has what the Big Ten calls an "unblemished" cumulative GPA. (I assume that means a 4.0.)

Here's the list:

Corey Acker

Matt Alviti

Terrance Brown

Graham Bullmore

Austin Carr

Max Chapman

Luke Dauch

Adam DePietro

Tommy Doles

Matt Frazier

Deonte Gibson

Mark Gorogianis

Nate Hall

Matthew Harris

Traveon Henry

Tom Hruby

Justin Jackson

Christian Jones

Tyler Lancaster

Connor Mahoney

Shane Mertz

Matt Micucci

Geoff Mogus

Tommy Odell

Zack Oliver

Eric Olson

Ben Oxley

Kenton Playko

Jaylen Prater

James Prather

Kyle Queiro

Heath Reineke

C.J. Robbins

Christian Salem

Andrew Scanlan

Drew Smith

Mark Szott

Nick VanHoose

Dan Vitale

I flew back from Minnesota on Monday after seeing a client, and sat next to an NU coed on the flight. She was visiting her boyfriend who had graduated last year.

We talked a lot of NU. She had a class with Deonte and said he was a great guy--big teddy bear, but a real contributor in the classroom and a diligent student. So great to hear these stories.

And JJ is really smart from what I hear.

Reactions: rmndcat
Pulling off a 4.0 GPA is hard enough. Doing it during football season and starring on the team is absurd. Way to go get 'em, Deonte! (And everyone else, too. This stuff is awesome.)

Grats guys, that's very impressive!

Don't think we are condescending with this post. This type of news always gets posted here. We are certainly proud of our student athletes, but I think most of us would admit that NU, with its admission standards, filters out any jokers who lack the self discipline to manage the academic and athletic requirements of the program. We don't take bad apple slackers and magically turn them into achievers. The guys who get in here have pretty much already figured out that stuff out on their own. Obviously there are exceptions and have been some embarrassing failures in the past, but the program under Fitz is very disciplined.

Don't think we are condescending with this post. This type of news always gets posted here. We are certainly proud of our student athletes, but I think most of us would admit that NU, with its admission standards, filters out any jokers who lack the self discipline to manage the academic and athletic requirements of the program. We don't take bad apple slackers and magically turn them into achievers. The guys who get in here have pretty much already figured out that stuff out on their own. Obviously there are exceptions and have been some embarrassing failures in the past, but the program under Fitz is very disciplined.

Would never have thought it. It's your board, you post threads that are of interest to you. We're just the visitors. :)

Why is that interesting? Who the heck cares? Why look at a list of accomplishment and turn it into a negative?

I call bulls&*$t.
Agree, what's interesting about this? All the players that didn't make the list should be congratulated, as well, for balancing the rigors of athletics with the demands of a tough academic environment.

+1.

For you UT fans who don't know about Tom Hruby, he's a 33-year old Navy SEAL who a couple of years ago decided to apply to Northwestern, and once accepted, to walk on to the football team. He's a husband and a father, and he plays special teams for the 'Cats. Oh yeah, he's now Academic All-Big Ten. Truly amazing.

Here's his story: http://www.nusports.com/news/2015/9/9/FB_0909150750.aspx

Proud and happy for him, it's a great story.

+1.

For you UT fans who don't know about Tom Hruby, he's a 33-year old Navy SEAL who a couple of years ago decided to apply to Northwestern, and once accepted, to walk on to the football team. He's a husband and a father, and he plays special teams for the 'Cats. Oh yeah, he's now Academic All-Big Ten. Truly amazing.

Here's his story: http://www.nusports.com/news/2015/9/9/FB_0909150750.aspx

And I'm guessing his wife must be twice as amazing for shouldering so much herself

Reactions: beetlemania74
You mean prepare and risk his life to protect his country and your sorry ass!

You say tomato.

Trust me chief. I have no capacity to conceive what these guys endure and have nothing but respect for them. It's a dirty job. The dirtiest.

Not sure how that makes my ass sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT