ADVERTISEMENT

4 in a row?

Mr. Stupor

Oct 21, 2012
I read somewhere that the last time NU won 4 BT games in a row was before the summer of love. Is that true? When was the last time?

I'll tell you what: both student sections better be jam-packed crammed with students wedged in there like sardines tomorrow night. There's no excuse for not showing up for this one...

I checked, and it's true: the 1965-66 team won 5 in a row, beating Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin and OSU. The team coached by Larry Glass starred Jim Pitts, a great player, and went 7-7 in the Big 10 (tied for 5th). Before that, the 1958-59 team beat Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, the last 3 on the road. Amazing winning three consecutive road games!

The last team to win 3 Bigs in a row was the 2011-12 team, beating Nebraska, Illinois and Iowa. The 2008-09 squad beat Indiana, Iowa and #19 Purdue. The 1968-69 team beat #14 OSU, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

So it is indeed a pretty rare event.

How about this for an oddity: perhaps the worst team in NU history was the 1955-56 squad, coached by the immortal Waldo Fisher, which finished 2-20. That team lost their first 13 Big 10 games, but rallied to win their final game in Evanston over none other than #2 Illinois, 83-82. Chicago's Big 10 Team indeed!

Holy Moly, that's really TRUE?

Gold Lord, we've sucked for sooooo long ... And even with 5 decades of all-world suckiness, that stat is STILL hard to fathom.

Honestly, when this thing turns, we are going to be the hottest ticket in town. It'll be like the Mark Aguire DePaul teams in Alumni Hall - an IMPOSSIBLE ticket to get. Who knows? Even the blue hairs in the purple seats might start showing up...

Originally posted by NJCat:

The last team to win 3 Bigs in a row was the 2011-12 team, beating Nebraska, Illinois and Iowa. The 2008-09 squad beat Indiana, Iowa and #19 Purdue. The 1968-69 team beat #14 OSU, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Thanks for this. I was too lazy to look up when was the last time the team won three B10 in a row when I was wondering when the last time was they won three in one week. Both of those times in the 21st century were three times in eight days, but we managed this time to do three in seven days. Yay.

I'm pretty hopeful about this game. It could be a trap game for Indy. They just had an easy road win Sunday night but have very little turn over time before coming play NU. We should be riding as high as we possible can and feeling our oats at home after a strong win against PSU. For all we know we have turned a corner and Indy doesn't have much time to think about it.
I do think Indy is the best team left so if we win, it could be an exciting finish.

I hope so because I am not sure we can stay with them offensively. They can light it up more than any other team we have played. I don't think we can play an uptempo game with them and I am not sure our zone defense will work with all of their shooters. I think Alex needs to have a great game. They are not a big team, which I guess is why Purdue beat them twice.

Looking at Indiana

I like our chances against Indiana. They are only 3-5 on the road in the B1G with their wins coming at Rutgers, Nebraska and Illinois. And while the Hoosier offense is strong, their defense ranks dead last in efficiency in-conference. Looking at tempo free stats, they allow other teams to score a lot, they don't force turnovers, they don't block shots, they don't force steals and they allow a high percentage of 2-point buckets. They seem to defend the three point line pretty well, though.

On offense, three point shooting is obviously a huge strength for the Hoosiers. However, they also have a high percentage of their 2-point shot attempts blocked. Against a 2-3 zone, they will likely live or die by the three-point shot.

You have to be impressed how the 'Cats were able to limit Newbill to 3-points on only 6 shots in our last game. Perhaps it's easier to key in on one guy than to shut down an entire floor-full of shooters...but no other team has been able to limit him like that. I look forward to seeing how we play on defense against the Hoosiers. Over the past few weeks, the 'Cats have been getting more and more comfortable and confident in the 2-3 zone. I expect them to be ready for Indiana's offense.

Meanwhile, the 'Cats have looked pretty strong on offense the past three games. But if we are going to keep pace with--and hopefully stretch a lead on--Indiana, we cannot survive a prolonged scoring drought. If Indiana goes cold from beyond the arc for a few minutes, we have to be able to pounce and score some easy baskets. As someone else said, Alex Olah could be the X Factor in this game--for good or bad. Huge opportunity for him, BMac and the rest of the guys.

Go 'Cats!

This post was edited on 2/24 7:32 PM by backdoorpass

Re: Looking at Indiana

BDP: I'm with you. I like our chances. Especially if the students show up in force. Welsh Ryan is a BITCH OF A PLACE TO PLAY when it's packed and fired up.

Originally posted by NJCat:

How about this for an oddity: perhaps the worst team in NU history was the 1955-56 squad, coached by the immortal Waldo Fisher, which finished 2-20. That team lost their first 13 Big 10 games, but rallied to win their final game in Evanston over none other than #2 Illinois, 83-82. Chicago's Big 10 Team indeed!
Great find! Now that is a gem to be shared with diehard Illinois fans.

Unfortunately, NU's bid to host the NCAA Final Four in their own gym fell just a bit short, though fans at McGaw Hall did get to see Bill Russell's USF Dons win their second straight title over the only Iowa team ever to reach the national title game.

I hope CC showed the team the tape of the IU-Syracuse NCAA tourney game from 2 years ago, where 'Cuse's 2-3 zone (which CC has said we're using) frustrated the Hoosiers immensely and led to their lowest point total of the season. We need to be aggressive on the perimeter and hope that Olah and Skelly can provide the necessary inside force to shut them down. We've got a height advantage that hopefully Olah can take advantage of on the offensive end. They don't appear to be very physical defensively, as they rarely send opponents to the line, and their 2-point FG% is pretty terrible. This is a very winnable game, and I hope the confidence flowing from the team can provide that edge we need to get the W.

Agree Stupor that a majority purple crowd could effect the outcome. Not only does NU need the students to show up but hope that not to many of our "fans" sell out to the enemy.

I sit in the last row of the lower bowl in 113 and have for years even though I could have "better" seats - because it's the only way to not get kneed in the back the whole game and be able to stand up whenever I feel like it without some jerkoff telling me to sit down. The downside is that virtually every game, all around me are opposing fans who obviously got their tickets from NU season ticket holders who sell out EVERY game to the opponent. Even crap non-con games. They are OBVIOUSLY scalpers. I've asked around me at that's how everybody gets their tickets. NU needs to put an end to this NOW before these become white-hot tickets - and they will be in a year or two. I can feel it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT