law
falzon
ivanaukus
skelly
pardon
benson *** (wishful thinking here)
5th year or transfer

this is the postential to be a really good team with great depth

Finally, something other than a tired LBJ debate!

Agree, this will be a really fun NU basketball team to watch. Depth plus a couple of really good, experienced players in BMac and AF. And if BB joins.........................

Reactions: Kelly_32
It's been reported that Scottie and Vic have dedicated themselves to the weight room. Can't wait to get a report out of summer practice. My money is on Skelly to make a big leap as well.

I think the class coming in...Falzon, Ash and Pardon may be better than Collin's first in terms of ready to play right away.

Looking at the roster this team isn't going to be playing zone to protect the 5 in '16. This will be a 40 minute man to man, up and down the court team.

Collins and staff have done a pretty amazing job building this roster.

It's been reported that Scottie and Vic have dedicated themselves to the weight room. Can't wait to get a report out of summer practice. My money is on Skelly to make a big leap as well.

I think the class coming in...Falzon, Ash and Pardon may be better than Collin's first in terms of ready to play right away.

Looking at the roster this team isn't going to be playing zone to protect the 5 in '16. This will be a 40 minute man to man, up and down the court team.

Collins and staff have done a pretty amazing job building this roster.

One report I read said Vic has put on 20 pounds, presumably of muscle not fat. That is great to hear.

Everybody knows the missing piece to this group on paper - that big ol', ass-kicking, big man. But outside of that, this is a big, long team.

If needed, I wonder if the Cats have enough size at the other positions to get away with Skelly or Pardon at center.

I hope we don't need to find out.

potential roster

ash
mcintosh
brown
lindsey
lumpkin
taphorn
law
falzon
ivanaukus
skelly
pardon
benson *** (wishful thinking here)
5th year or transfer

this is the postential to be a really good team with great depth
How long can NU wait to accept and announce a 5th year transfer in?

Everybody knows the missing piece to this group on paper - that big ol', ass-kicking, big man. But outside of that, this is a big, long team.

If needed, I wonder if the Cats have enough size at the other positions to get away with Skelly or Pardon at center.

I hope we don't need to find out.

Repeat after me...."Dererk Pardon was recruited as, and is, a Center"......

Sheesh.

Repeat after me...."Dererk Pardon was recruited as, and is, a Center"......

Sheesh.
Normal big man "take longer to develop" caveats apply, but from what I've seen and read, I think Pardon is going to be a significant, significant contributor. NU was early on him, but NU was early on lots of guys that became program stars. Being early is part of the way you get those soon-to-rise types in.

I think Skelly fits in as a bench guy, but that's why JVZ is here and why Falzon was such a focus.

Reactions: NJCat83588
I love the analysis of the 2016 roster. My speculation is that Collins sees the trend of basketball (college and pro) is to have athletic players who change play multiple positions offensively and defensively, hit 3-pt. shots and be able to run, cause turnovers, switch multiple positions on defense in the 6'6"-6'9" range (see Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Rapalos I.) Look at the G.S. Warriors winning a NBA championship with 6'6" Draymond Green and 6'9" David Lee playing center. The days of the 7'0" centers who plant themselves in the paint are diminishing.

On another note, anyone consider that a redshirt junior on the current squad will graduate and not come back for his fifth year? Just a thought for the 2016 roster that might open another scholarship for a more athletic player who can hit open jumpers on a more consistent basis.

Lastly, did anyone note that a 5-star UM recruit just de-committed Tyus Battle today? I wonder what another school like Syracuse offered him that exceeded UM's scholarship offer.

On another note, anyone consider that a redshirt junior on the current squad will graduate and not come back for his fifth year? Just a thought for the 2016 roster that might open another scholarship for a more athletic player who can hit open jumpers on a more consistent basis.

Sanjay will fill a valuable role as a red-shirt Senior. Relying on Freshman is never a great strategy.

Or don't tell Coach K who didn't rely on Jhalil Okafur, Tyus Jones, Justice Winslow or Grayson Allen to win anything big last season.

Or don't tell Coach K who didn't rely on Jhalil Okafur, Tyus Jones, Justice Winslow or Grayson Allen to win anything big last season.

Seriously, We're comparing NU freshmen to those at Kentucky and Duke? OK.......

My point was that every recruiting year under Collins, NU is bringing in talented athletes and more talented and accomplished players. In response to above comment, freshmen play key roles in their first year in the Big 10 and not just at UK and Duke where they make Final 4s and win championships with talented frosh. Let's look at last year: OSU - D'Angelo Russell and Jae Sean Tate; Maryland - Melo Trimble; Indiana - James Blackmon and Robert Johnson; Minnesota - Nate Mason; UM - Dawkins; Purdue - Vince Edwards and Isaac Hayes; MSU - Rawls; and of course, at NU - McIntosh and Law in the second half of the Big 10 season. So all throughout the nation and in particular the Big 10, true freshmen are making big contributions. Hopefully, Falzon, Ash and Pardon keep up this trend.

Reactions: Palindrome
My point was that every recruiting year under Collins, NU is bringing in talented athletes and more talented and accomplished players. In response to above comment, freshmen play key roles in their first year in the Big 10 and not just at UK and Duke where they make Final 4s and win championships with talented frosh. Let's look at last year: OSU - D'Angelo Russell and Jae Sean Tate; Maryland - Melo Trimble; Indiana - James Blackmon and Robert Johnson; Minnesota - Nate Mason; UM - Dawkins; Purdue - Vince Edwards and Isaac Hayes; MSU - Rawls; and of course, at NU - McIntosh and Law in the second half of the Big 10 season. So all throughout the nation and in particular the Big 10, true freshmen are making big contributions. Hopefully, Falzon, Ash and Pardon keep up this trend.

Point taken. MY only point was NU freshmen (including the current crop) will need time to develop physically. Even a 20 year old BMac wore down as the season progressed. If I had to choose between a 5th year senior in Lumpkin or a true Freshman, unless the true Freshman is a high 4* I'd take Sanjay every day of the week.

I understand your point and NU will benefit in the long run for experienced 4-year players. However, with the forward position well stocked in 2016 and 2017 (Law, Falzon, Rapolas I., Skelly, Tap) with talented 4 star and mid to high 3 star talent already committed and offers out outstanding for talented SF and PF, there might not be a lot of minutes available for a fifth year SF who's jump shot is not a strength or a very undersized PF. Mere speculation on my part which might not come to fruition.

Seriously, We're comparing NU freshmen to those at Kentucky and Duke? OK.......

Sorry. Didn't realize you meant to say, "never rely on freshmen if you're NU. Other teams can, however." My mistake.

Sorry. Didn't realize you meant to say, "never rely on freshmen if you're NU. Other teams can, however." My mistake.

You're right, I did mean at NU. And FWIW the 2 examples others cited were Duke and Kentucky. How many Freshmen did Wisconsin rely upon during their final run this season? Anyway, in the context of the OP we're not talking about a player NU will "rely" on, we're talking a 5th year senior off the bench versus a freshman off the bench. I'd rather go with the experience and even up the size of the recruiting classes.

NJ, I'm sorry my reference to Pardon as a forward was such a problem for you.

Since it's such a problem, you might want to check out NU's press release on his signing and fire off a note to them also.

In the meantime, you'll excuse me if I consider him a tweener at best.

NJ, I'm sorry my reference to Pardon as a forward was such a problem for you.

Since it's such a problem, you might want to check out NU's press release on his signing and fire off a note to them also.

In the meantime, you'll excuse me if I consider him a tweener at best.

Oddly, it appears that NU did not identify a position when announcing the signing. Unless I simply missed it. Stats, vitals, blocked shot record, champ. But no position.

Looking at the list, the first two things that pop into my mind are; Lumpkin and Taphorn. I desperately want Tap to play b/c I love his 3-point shot. But he needs to improve his defense. Lumpkin? Does his defense even out his entire lack of threat or production on offense enough to gain PT over the other guys on the roster.

Another thing I keep thinking is Ash will be a HUGE x-factor on our success this season.

Talent trumps experience.

If the talent plays within a team concept. I've watched Ryan's teams beat teams with more overall talent for years. He had some talented players this year, but I doubt his overall roster was more physically talented than Kentucky's and perhaps even Arizona's. Virginia won the ACC with a team that had less overall talent than Duke,

If the talent plays within a team concept. I've watched Ryan's teams beat teams with more overall talent for years. He had some talented players this year, but I doubt his overall roster was more physically talented than Kentucky's and perhaps even Arizona's. Virginia won the ACC with a team that had less overall talent than Duke,

Ryan's staff is patient with the development process. And, really terrific at developing skills that are needed for Wiscy's schemes to be successful.

Collins doesn't yet have that luxury. He's got to throw kids into the game and develop them while they are active during the season.

This thread shows how that may soon change. The roster is pretty solid from top to bottom. Ton of forwards with decent size and many of whom can shoot. Nice wings. A lot of skill and depth at guard.

It may be that for a few years NU will need to bring in the big man transfer to back up the middle.

But you can see where this is headed. The team is going to start winning this year and will, hopefully, be much more fun to watch. The single 4* that Collins has brought in each year will soon turn into two or three 4*'s and eventually a 5* every couple of years. Excellent recruiting enabled by winning and exciting games.

Ryan's staff is patient with the development process. And, really terrific at developing skills that are needed for Wiscy's schemes to be successful.

Collins doesn't yet have that luxury. He's got to throw kids into the game and develop them while they are active during the season.

This thread shows how that may soon change. The roster is pretty solid from top to bottom. Ton of forwards with decent size and many of whom can shoot. Nice wings. A lot of skill and depth at guard.

It may be that for a few years NU will need to bring in the big man transfer to back up the middle.

But you can see where this is headed. The team is going to start winning this year and will, hopefully, be much more fun to watch. The single 4* that Collins has brought in each year will soon turn into two or three 4*'s and eventually a 5* every couple of years. Excellent recruiting enabled by winning and exciting games.

I completely agree. The trend arrow is definitely pointing "UP".

Wisconsin this year was't as physically gifted as others in terms of athletic ability, speed, jumping ability... They were pretty damn talented. 2 of the top 20 picks for sure. I'm guessing Kaminsky around 10-14 and Dekker 14-18. They were "projects" compared to Okafor, Towns and Russell and don't have the same potential upside, but to say they aren't "talented" is just not true.

I love the analysis of the 2016 roster. My speculation is that Collins sees the trend of basketball (college and pro) is to have athletic players who change play multiple positions offensively and defensively, hit 3-pt. shots and be able to run, cause turnovers, switch multiple positions on defense in the 6'6"-6'9" range (see Lindsey, Law, Falzon, Rapalos I.) Look at the G.S. Warriors winning a NBA championship with 6'6" Draymond Green and 6'9" David Lee playing center. The days of the 7'0" centers who plant themselves in the paint are diminishing.

Lastly, did anyone note that a 5-star UM recruit just de-committed Tyus Battle today? I wonder what another school like Syracuse offered him that exceeded UM's scholarship offer.
likely, there are just not many of them and teams have to work around that shortage.

Looking at the list, the first two things that pop into my mind are; Lumpkin and Taphorn. I desperately want Tap to play b/c I love his 3-point shot. But he needs to improve his defense. Lumpkin? Does his defense even out his entire lack of threat or production on offense enough to gain PT over the other guys on the roster.

I couldn't agree with you more on the Lumpkin question. I'm not a fan of his game.

For me, the question about minutes starts with Falzon and Ivanaukus. I haven't seen either play, but let's say they are as good as reported. That would imply to me that both are playing major minutes once the conference season rolls around in 2017. It also sparks a couple questions.

1) Between Falzon, Law and Ivanaukus, who comes off the bench?
2) Where does Lindsey fall in this group?

I'm sure the reality of their game and improvement will answer some of these questions. They are good problems to have.

1) Between Falzon, Law and Ivanaukus, who comes off the bench?
2) Where does Lindsey fall in this group?

I'm sure the reality of their game and improvement will answer some of these questions. They are good problems to have.

Agree. Great problems to have. Never have had these difficult questions since I began following NU hoops in 1974!

Playing time has a way of sorting itself out. To be sure, the days of starters playing 35+ minutes per game should be over! Should lead to fresher players as the Big 10 season rolls on. Should also mean less of a drop-off should someone get hurt.

I am hoping that Lindsey develops and becomes more of a shooting guard and takes less minutes at forward. He would be a tough defender at SG with his length. Also, there will be a void in 2016 at SG with Tre's graduation in 2016. As for Law, Falzon and Ivanauskas, I think there is more than enough minutes at forward and maybe Law or Ivanauskas can play some minutes at SG also. I have never seen Rapalos play, so I have no idea how much his game is based on the perimeter.

Finally, something other than a tired LBJ debate!

Agree, this will be a really fun NU basketball team to watch. Depth plus a couple of really good, experienced players in BMac and AF. And if BB joins.........................

My first reaction to this lineup was, whoa we are hurting at the 5 with JvZ and Olah gone.

But, then after seeing what GSW did in the finals with their small lineup, I'm wondering whether we can't have the same success with a similar lineup and gameplan. Keep recruiting those stretch 4's! Preferably with some bulk and muscle.

My first reaction to this lineup was, whoa we are hurting at the 5 with JvZ and Olah gone.

But, then after seeing what GSW did in the finals with their small lineup, I'm wondering whether we can't have the same success with a similar lineup and gameplan. Keep recruiting those stretch 4's! Preferably with some bulk and muscle.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have Steph Curry in your lineup.

Pardon is a 5/C/non-forward

Thank you. Never mind what some intern in the NU Athletics Department wrote on NUSports.com.......

Don't know how many times it needs to be restated - Pardon was recruited as a 5 and has a back to the basket type game; he is not a stretch-4 which is what CC prefers at the 4-spot.

And yes, Pardon is only 6-8, but he has a long reach and another 6-8 center by the name of Sullinger did pretty well for himself in the B1G.

Anyway, CC and crew should have a lot more options when it comes to lineups this upcoming and next season (even w/ losing Olah and JVZ).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT