ADVERTISEMENT

A sliver of info on Lakefront football

cats1967

Oct 3, 2004
Article in the Daily about a presentation to an Evanston city committee. No drawings but an indication of about 15,000 seats.

Reactions: BosCat
Evanston Roundtable article - ERT
"....representatives acknowledged that it may include night games"

With some predictable comments
"If the sound is anything like the Lacross game that is happening now on Thursday at noon during work and school hours this is going to be a nightmare. Over a mile away at the hospital and I hear every dumb word the announcer says." [I guess he can't hear the intelligent words]

"Why wasn’t the new stadium put there on campus? What with NW’s concern for downtown businesses. Are we really suppose to believe any of this? Honestly?"

Evanston Roundtable article - ERT
"....representatives acknowledged that it may include night games"

With some predictable comments
"If the sound is anything like the Lacross game that is happening now on Thursday at noon during work and school hours this is going to be a nightmare. Over a mile away at the hospital and I hear every dumb word the announcer says." [I guess he can't hear the intelligent words]

"Why wasn’t the new stadium put there on campus? What with NW’s concern for downtown businesses. Are we really suppose to believe any of this? Honestly?"

Clare Kelly sucks.

Article in the Daily about a presentation to an Evanston city committee. No drawings but an indication of about 15,000 seats.
“Our conference and TV broadcast dictates when our games are and we typically find out seven to 12 days in advance,” Barracato said. “We would announce those games as we receive that information from our conference office.”

Surely this refers only to game time and not venue.

Clare Kelly sucks.
From another article of theirs about the vibrations and....oh, the dust:

“It is dusty. A couple times I went through clouds just driving between my home and downtown,” First Ward Council Member Clare Kelly said at the same Wednesday meeting.

DUSTYLINK

Yep, haven't invented a giant air cleaner for a 50k seat concrete stadium demolition. Don't know but I suspect Ms Kelly is still using her covid masks on occasion. They work great with dust. Might even be able to talk the contractor into a complimentary carwash.

I mean, they've done everything possible to mitigate vibrations and dust/pollution that they can, not sure how anybody expected tearing down a 100 year old gigantic concrete structure was going to be perfectly clean.

Even a slow teardown was going to be messy and give off some minor levels of noise/vibration. Should at least be thankful nobody was thinking about using explosives and wrecking balls for a fast teardown.

Either way, I can't be too bothered by any of this, the rebuild can't be stopped now and we have approval for the lakeside temporary venue.

Should at least be thankful nobody was thinking about using explosives and wrecking balls for a fast teardown.
Maybe ripping the band aid off all at once causes less disturbance than peeling it off slowly?

The demo was always going to be messy. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If it is any consolation to the neighborhood at least a concrete stadium isn't being put back in its place. That's no bargain either.

They'll complain about the rope they're hung with.
Finally there is some more info from the Chicago Tribune article yesterday. The University says it will use the parking structures on campus as well as downtown parking and the west lot with shuttle services. From another article they said there will be a few rows of bleachers added on the east side but most additions with be north, south, and WEST of the field. No breakdown of how they are planning to use the west side but it sounded substantial (I hope they find a way to get a good amount on the west side). All sound speakers with be pointed towards the lake. They also talked about the Ohio State game will be played off-campus but no detail of the other games. Construction will begin in a few weeks (again no detail). They are in the process of finalizing the plan now.

I am not sure why they don’t use Long Field for parking but that was not mentioned at all. Only that they are working with downtown businesses to figure out how to optimize downtown parking to benefit the business community.

Finally there is some more info from the Chicago Tribune article yesterday. The University says it will use the parking structures on campus as well as downtown parking and the west lot with shuttle services. From another article they said there will be a few rows of bleachers added on the east side but most additions with be north, south, and WEST of the field. No breakdown of how they are planning to use the west side but it sounded substantial (I hope they find a way to get a good amount on the west side). All sound speakers with be pointed towards the lake. They also talked about the Ohio State game will be played off-campus but no detail of the other games. Construction will begin in a few weeks (again no detail). They are in the process of finalizing the plan now.

I am not sure why they don’t use Long Field for parking but that was not mentioned at all. Only that they are working with downtown businesses to figure out how to optimize downtown parking to benefit the business community.

Supposedly looking at raising the west stands because 1) nobody could see over a sideline and 2) need height to accommodate coaches’ boxes and TV cameras.

However, it is now May and we still don’t have concrete plans. Still plenty of time for this NU administration to **** it up even worse.

Supposedly looking at raising the west stands because 1) nobody could see over a sideline and 2) need height to accommodate coaches’ boxes and TV cameras.

However, it is now May and we still don’t have concrete plans. Still plenty of time for this NU administration to **** it up even worse.
No worries. I just got off a Zoom meeting with Gagg and he has a backup plan all lined up.

3818.jpg

Memorial Stadium
Capacity:
Stadium Type: High School
Video Scoreboard: No
Press Box Elevator: No
Wheelchair Access: Fair
Playing Surface: Artificial
Home Teams:
Evanston Wildkits

No worries. I just got off a Zoom meeting with Gagg and he has a backup plan all lined up.

3818.jpg

Memorial Stadium
Capacity:
Stadium Type: High School
Video Scoreboard: No
Press Box Elevator: No
Wheelchair Access: Fair
Playing Surface: Artificial
Home Teams:
Evanston Wildkits
I just got off a Zoom with Fitz and he has everything under control as HC Emeritus:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT