ADVERTISEMENT

According to "The Athletic" 1000 players entered the portal yesterday

At a lot of schools it's less important.

NU will always be the most "old school" among football programs where guys that we recruit expect to spend 4-5 years here.

I just don't ever see that changing because of the academic requirements. We enforce those much more rigorously than our peers, so we'll always have less transfers in/out.

Just not the same game anymore. I suppose from a pure entertainment point of view, it's fine. Just have to accept it as another form of professional sports. Hopefully some of these kids actually get a degree to go with the it.
I have a different view. I suspect the majority of kids in the portal are not getting NIL money. They are moving because they have found that their current school just isn't a fit for them. Some may be buried on the depth chart. Some may have had injuries. Some don't like the coaches. Some don't like the school. Far from being a professional league, it's just kids growing up and finding their place in the world. Something like 37% of all college students transfer, why should athletes be any different?

Last edited:
I have a different view. I suspect the majority of kids in the portal are not getting NIL money. They are moving because they have found that their current school just isn't a fit for them. Some may be burined on the depth chart. Some may have had injuries. Some don't like the coaches. Some don't like the school. Far from being a professional league, it's just kids growing up and finding their place in the world. Something like 37% of all college students transfer, why should athletes be any different?
When I was an undergraduate at NU, we were told that one third of incoming freshmen would flunk out or otherwise not graduate, so I agree, why should it be any different for athletes.

I have a different view. I suspect the majority of kids in the portal are not getting NIL money. They are moving because they have found that their current school just isn't a fit for them. Some may be buried on the depth chart. Some may have had injuries. Some don't like the coaches. Some don't like the school. Far from being a professional league, it's just kids growing up and finding their place in the world. Something like 37% of all college students transfer, why should athletes be any different?
The couple of dozen college players I know who have been looking at or went into the portal are not doing it for NIL money. It's mainly about a) playing time and/or coaches encouraging them to leave and b) location. A lot of players leave home for a school hundreds of miles away, then realize it isn't for them. I think NIL might be a factor for only the very top transfers.

In this instance, I wasn't talking about the money. I meant it would resemble the professional leagues more with regard to player movement and teams bringing new "hired guns" each year to fill holes. In the past, you would hopefully develop someone to fill a hole, but in this new era, you just go get a free agent. It's just a different way of thinking about the college game.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
When I was an undergraduate at NU, we were told that one third of incoming freshmen would flunk out or otherwise not graduate, so I agree, why should it be any different for athletes.
Well, not only did you not flunk out, but you got accepted at an Ivy grad school, whereas, I barely survived! Still, here we are on the Board 58 years after we graduated

Portal Player Segmentation
1) Very good P5 players at premium positions seeking NIL $$$ and/or a shot at a playoff (e.g. Cameron Ward, Riley Leonard, Will Howard, London Humphreys)
2) Good G5 player at premium position with established performance seeking P5 starter opportunity (see Grayson McCall and many G5 QBs)
3) Good P5 player leaving program due to coaching change (e.g. Aidan Chiles)
4) Established P5 starter being shoved aside for better P5 player at top program (e.g. McCord)
5) Established P5 starter with degree in hand seeking playing time (e.g. Cam Johnson)
6) Highly recruited talent at "name" school seeking playing time after 1-2 years watching from bench
7) The rest (most of them) - guys who are graduating, rarely played, and are looking for playing time by taking a step or two down.

Reactions: Jaguar 88
Well, not only did you not flunk out, but you got accepted at an Ivy grad school, whereas, I barely survived! Still, here we are on the Board 58 years after we graduated
I barely survived undergrad also, and did not know if I had graduated until I saw my name on the list to pick up my cap and gown minutes before the ceremony, with my parents in attendance. Boy, that would have been embarrassing. Then did some heavy lifting after NU, got good references, especially from one influential Prof. at NU. And yes, here we are. Congrats!

I barely survived undergrad also, and did not know if I had graduated until I saw my name on the list to pick up my cap and gown minutes before the ceremony, with my parents in attendance. Boy, that would have been embarrassing. Then did some heavy lifting after NU, got good references, especially from one influential Prof. at NU. And yes, here we are. Congrats!
I had a very similar experience with my parent in attendance, but in the box that was supposed to hold my diploma, there was a little note that said I could pick up my diploma at the library after I paid my library fines!

I had a very similar experience with my parent in attendance, but in the box that was supposed to hold my diploma, there was a little note that said I could pick up my diploma at the library after I paid my library fines!
Funny (but not at the time). Not to mention Bob Hope--the times have certainly changed.

Reactions: No Chores
How many of the 1100 were told by their coach they should move on and their university is no longer honoring their scholarship? Isn't that the real scandal in these numbers?

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I didn't hear about 1/3 of NU students flunking out or leaving before their senior year. I would be surprised, but then again the 90% graduation rate does not include transfer students who graduate at their new university. Anyways, one thing I did hear about was the "weed out" classes where we were told up front that 1/3 will get some type of A, 1/3 will get some type of B, and 1/3 will get some type of C or lower. It wasn't enforced that you had to outright fail, but even enough Cs in Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, etc. may have the impact of adjusting the career plans of a prospective pre-med student.

Reactions: zanycat
I didn't hear about 1/3 of NU students flunking out or leaving before their senior year. I would be surprised, but then again the 90% graduation rate does not include transfer students who graduate at their new university. Anyways, one thing I did hear about was the "weed out" classes where we were told up front that 1/3 will get some type of A, 1/3 will get some type of B, and 1/3 will get some type of C or lower. It wasn't enforced that you had to outright fail, but even enough Cs in Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, etc. may have the impact of adjusting the career plans of a prospective pre-med student.
In a large lecture class in Tech in 1961, the Professor told us--"look to your left and to your right--one of you will be gone before you graduate". That would be 1/3. Hardly what a great University should aspire to, but none-the-less, that was NU then. There will of course be attrition especially in undergraduate school. My experience in an Ivy League graduate school was the opposite--accept those who will succeed and help them succeed.

Reactions: zanycat
In a large lecture class in Tech in 1961, the Professor told us--"look to your left and to your right--one of you will be gone before you graduate". That would be 1/3. Hardly what a great University should aspire to, but none-the-less, that was NU then. There will of course be attrition especially in undergraduate school. My experience in an Ivy League graduate school was the opposite--accept those who will succeed and help them succeed.
Today, the objective is to actually teach and help students succeed. Radical, right?

Today, the objective is to actually teach and help students succeed. Radical, right?
I presume the student debt crisis dictates that universities should be more accountable for graduating students.

NU’s published tuition is $65k per year, which is to say, a quarter of a million dollars for an undergraduate degree.

NU owes students that piece of paper.

Reactions: Overly_Invested_Cat
Depends on your major, for me BME but not pre-med. Tech was brutal. I survived, but it was close. Although considering I graduated having never really read a textbook and only attending class, I probably got what I deserved considering my horrible Appalachian high school background. 😆

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT