ADVERTISEMENT

Also worth seeing in Las Vegas

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
For those making it to Las Vegas for the bowl game, close to the stadium is the Luxor Hotel. In its lobby is a Titanic exhibit worth the time to visit. Here are a few photos I took from earlier this year:

IMG_7509_hbdyyjNVbhohKmx9GfuHzj.jpg

IMG_7494_vXg2QvFJ3X4kc9Gm2gLcj9.jpg

IMG_7409_2LCbJRmGPSpXbMMZqhYrDw.jpg

IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7418_bRMxQzrR8aM5osRgTpKWpN.jpg

IMG_7411_7eMiaeSeTZJtFNyUGfW4kf.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7580_dnRLsPpkJkREjybwFc1Ap6.jpg

IMG_7379_2xmfHoKhPAPCMjfZY7pKhL.jpg

And in memory of the man who was responsible for rescuing and preserving so many of the above Titanic artifacts which are part of the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor in Las Vegas, the below was posted in the weeks that followed his untimely death this past year while he was once again in proximity to the ship.

IMG_7330_mgJ9D5ywj7S3Hk2cHMFndo.jpg

No thanks. Creepy. Seeing dead peoples things knowing how terriffied they were just a bit later. Ghoulish thanks but no thanks.

Yeah, the boots hit me that way too until I learned that they were from the suitcase of a survivor. Here is more about him from an account provided by his grandson:

Ernest also served on the Titanic’s sister ship the Olympic. Ernest was employed on the Titanic as a Trimmer. His job was to ensure the coal he gave to the stokers came from the correct place, making sure the balance of the ship was maintained. His pay was £5.10 shillings a month. As we all know 6 days later the Titanic was hit by an iceberg. Ernest managed to get on collapsible boat B, which was upside down. They were rescued by boats 4 and 12, crew were taken on board by both boats, but no names were taken. They were then picked up by the Carpathia, where they disembarked in New York on 18th April 1912. Ernest returned and spent most of his life in Southampton. Grandfather Ernest died on 27th December 1968, he was 80 years old.

What I find intriguing about the rescued and preserved artifacts is how they provide a picture in time. Little details are fascinating such as how the four onboard compasses worked with compass cards floating on pools of mineral spirits inside a sealed glass topped chamber. I found it of interest to learn that people of the time preferred their toast served cold and the toast holder used to serve it was a revelation. As a coin collector myself I appreciated the efforts that went into the displays showing the actual coinage and bills as they were then in use.

https://www.titanicuniverse.com/titanic-survivor-ernest-frederick-allen-crew-member/994

Last edited:
Fascinating. Thank you.

The Luxor Hotel used to have a King Tut exhibit, which was always interesting. It seems they have dumped the Egyptian motif -- except for the shape of the hotel. Alas.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Fascinating. Thank you.

The Luxor Hotel used to have a King Tut exhibit, which was always interesting. It seems they have dumped the Egyptian motif -- except for the shape of the hotel. Alas.
Just checked and it appears the King Tut Exhibit is still there at the Luxor. The reference stated it was near the Titanic Exhibit

Years ago I got to see the original King Tut exhibit when it came to Chicago. Apparently that was one of. If not the only, time the iconic face mask and many other items were allowed to leave Egypt.

That said, if the effort that went into the Las Vegas King Tut Exhibit was anything like what was done for the Titanic exhibit it would be well worth visiting.

Museum and HotelHoover Dam is about an hour away. https://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/

Incredible structure. Great tours. See GIANT cable-support towers leaning at some 45 degrees off surrounding hillsides.
Excellent suggestion. There is also a little Hoover Dam museum located in an historic hotel in the nearby community where the workers who built the dam resided. There is no charge to see the museum and for anyone not wanting to stay in downtown Vegas the hotel itself is charming with an included breakfast.

Oh, there used to be a UFO Museum/Gift Shop just up the street as well which celebrates Area 51. I'll add a link to that as well but it looks like it may have closed in March. It was called Area 52.

The Hoover Dam museum is open 7am to 7 pm 7 days a week.

Here is a link to the Boulder City/Hoover Dam Motel.

Dam Museum and Boulder City Hotel

Link to the Area 52 UFO location:

UFO site

If you want to get out into nature a little bit, the Valley of Fire is a nice getaway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT