ADVERTISEMENT

Another Unfortunate Result of NIL

Lots of downsides to NIL and in my opinion no real upsides. Unless, of course, you think that money is the most important thing an 18 your old needs.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-1...ip-senior-season-enroll-ohio-state-profit-nil
How is this a downside? What if he or his family needs the money?

This is capitalism at work. Get paid what you can, while you can; because there’s no guarantee that money will be on the table tomorrow.

I suggest that you either get used to it, or move somewhere with a different economic system.

Did you even read the article? His parents want him to stay.
I glanced through it. If he’s 18, it doesn’t matter what they want. Maybe he wants the money, to receive elite college coaching, and to avoid injury during a pointless senior year - he’s already the top QB recruit and has his scholarship of choice.

Good for him. The NIL ruling is a great thing. Let’s hope NU can position its value prop accordingly so as not to be left behind.

Last edited:
I glanced through it. If he’s 18, it doesn’t matter what they want. Maybe he wants the money, to receive elite college coaching, and to avoid injury during a pointless senior year - he’s already the top QB recruit and has his scholarship of choice.

Good for him. The NIL ruling is a great thing. Let’s hope NU can position its value prop accordingly so as not to be left behind.
So, as I understand it, the NFL rule is 'three years from when you high school class graduates'. I wonder if dOSU gets him for another year because he must stay this year plus 3 others.

Lots of downsides to NIL and in my opinion no real upsides. Unless, of course, you think that money is the most important thing an 18 your old needs.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-1...ip-senior-season-enroll-ohio-state-profit-nil
Assuming the articles premise that he will get something north of 6 figures, then what is the downside?
Why stay in high school? Take his 1 english course online, make the $100k+ and go to osu.
Seems like a no brainer and its about time that the corporate peeps and educational systems stop making $$ off of names while banning players from making $$

We live in a bread and circus country. Thus, this advances the cause

Reactions: willycat
Assuming the articles premise that he will get something north of 6 figures, then what is the downside?
Why stay in high school? Take his 1 english course online, make the $100k+ and go to osu.
Seems like a no brainer and its about time that the corporate peeps and educational systems stop making $$ off of names while banning players from making $$

For once WickerTurk and I agree on something.

So, as I understand it, the NFL rule is 'three years from when you high school class graduates'. I wonder if dOSU gets him for another year because he must stay this year plus 3 others.
I imagine he’ll be an early reporter and get to practice with the team for the first half of 2022. He won’t get to play in 2021, as he will be sitting out his senior season and not yet eligible for college ball.

OMG!

So it went from, “his parents need the money!” to “it doesn’t matter what his parents want.”

Nice.

The kid finished up all his graduation requirements (save for 1 online class) early. What's the big deal? Plenty of other students enter college early.

The kid finished up all his graduation requirements (save for 1 online class) early. What's the big deal? Plenty of other students enter college early.
My 3 year old granddaughter is exceptionally smart. I should start shopping for NIL opportunities for her, in the event that she graduates when she's like 16. One problem, she is the smallest 3 year old I've ever seen. Unlikely to get NIL attention. /s

This is capitalism at work. Get paid what you can, while you can; because there’s no guarantee that money will be on the table tomorrow.

I suggest that you either get used to it, or move somewhere with a different economic system.
Does that mean that all universities should be recategorized as for-profit?

What is the mission of a university?

Paying for 6 kids to go to college always made universities feel for profit to me. You should see the cost increase over a 16 year period.
Guaranteed student loans have allowed a surfeit of students to pursue a degree now and pay later, which has resulted in increased demand and therefore increased cost.

Of course, many of the people sympathetic to your view would simultaneously have us believe that there is no monetary value to the degree that you're paying out the nose for. Why are you paying so much for something of no value?

There is nothing wrong with our economic system. It's the degradation of morals and values that is the problem with this country now. And paying an 18 year old a million dollars for having done nothing to deserve it is a prime example.
It's not for me to say whether or not the 18-year-old deserves it, but the purpose of going to college is to earn a degree. There are professional leagues for people to earn money playing a sport.

It's not for me to say whether or not the 18-year-old deserves it, but the purpose of going to college is to earn a degree. There are professional leagues for people to earn money playing a sport.
The purpose of going to college is to invest in yourself. Your investing time and money to be able to earn more money later. (More specialized higher paying field of work). For professional athletes they’re going to college to get tape out and for NIL earners get their name out. It’s an investment and an experience. A degree is just proof of your investment.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
The purpose of going to college is to invest in yourself. Your investing time and money to be able to earn more money later. (More specialized higher paying field of work). For professional athletes they’re going to college to get tape out and for NIL earners get their name out. It’s an investment and an experience. A degree is just proof of your investment.
Let the "NIL earner" do his NIL earning in a professional league instead of taking an athletic scholarship opportunity from somebody who wants to earn a degree.

Let the "NIL earner" do his NIL earning in a professional league instead of taking an athletic scholarship opportunity from somebody who wants to earn a degree.
Someone pointed out recently that a gymnast from LSU (who happens to be blonde and look good in a bikini) has more Instagram followers than Trevor Lawrence does. She's making money off her social media presence, just like lots of other non-athletes in our society are. It's where we are in 2021. Little kids have YouTube channels, and some make good money. Have they "earned" it? Do they "deserve" it? I still make my money by workin' 9 to 5 at an office, but maybe my mindset is stuck in the 20th century. If everyone else in society can potentially make money by being social media personalities, then why can't NCAA athletes do the same?

There is nothing wrong with our economic system. It's the degradation of morals and values that is the problem with this country now. And paying an 18 year old a million dollars for having done nothing to deserve it is a prime example.
Winning the lottery is getting money for nothing. These 18 year olds you're referring to are clearly doing something, or else they wouldn't be getting paid. It's the world we live in now. My wife was telling me the other day about some kid who's wildly popular on social media because he looks really cute opening boxes or something. Film it, monetize it. That's where we are. We're beyond the day where people had to go out and dig ditches to make a living.

Someone pointed out recently that a gymnast from LSU (who happens to be blonde and look good in a bikini) has more Instagram followers than Trevor Lawrence does. She's making money off her social media presence, just like lots of other non-athletes in our society are. It's where we are in 2021. Little kids have YouTube channels, and some make good money. Have they "earned" it? Do they "deserve" it? I still make my money by workin' 9 to 5 at an office, but maybe my mindset is stuck in the 20th century. If everyone else in society can potentially make money by being social media personalities, then why can't NCAA athletes do the same?
Because it opens up corruption and ruins it for the 90+% of those who have taken an athletic scholarship who are pursuing a degree. Most athletic departments aren't in the Big 10 and aren't making a profit, and they use the revenue that they generate from the revenue sports to fund athletic scholarships in the non-revenue sports. The UTEPs of the world aren't going to be able to keep up with the arms race, and whatever media exposure they currently enjoy is going to dry up as the gulf between them and the coming super-conferences opens wider. I fear that the UTEPs of the world will have to cut non-revenue sports, if not worse, to tread water, which eliminates opportunities for would-be student-athletes, many of them women, to pursue a degree.

If the purpose of COLLEGE athletics is to give opportunities for students to use their talents in pursuit of a college degree, then the reduction of these opportunities is contrary to that purpose.

There is already a professional league. Let the people who want to earn money playing a sport without pursuing a degree go play in the pros.

If colleges are for-profit professional sports teams, then why are they being held to Title IX standards? Does the NFL have to provide roughly 50% of their roster spots to women?

Winning the lottery is getting money for nothing. These 18 year olds you're referring to are clearly doing something, or else they wouldn't be getting paid. It's the world we live in now. My wife was telling me the other day about some kid who's wildly popular on social media because he looks really cute opening boxes or something. Film it, monetize it. That's where we are. We're beyond the day where people had to go out and dig ditches to make a living.
Might seem silly to some, but you very much correct.
Guaranteed student loans have allowed a surfeit of students to pursue a degree now and pay later, which has resulted in increased demand and therefore increased cost.

Of course, many of the people sympathetic to your view would simultaneously have us believe that there is no monetary value to the degree that you're paying out the nose for. Why are you paying so much for something of no value?
I never said it had no value. My kids HS sent 100%, not 99.5% to either a 2-4 year College/University. So clearly there is the value. However, the same demand for that degree has driven costs up that are way over the typical inflationary costs anyone would expect. I can show you my kids student loan debt and how it increased for the younger ones.

Schools may be viewed as non-profit but IMO they aren’t tightly run expense controlled machines. No way. Want something raise tuition or fees.

Because it opens up corruption and ruins it for the 90+% of those who have taken an athletic scholarship who are pursuing a degree. Most athletic departments aren't in the Big 10 and aren't making a profit, and they use the revenue that they generate from the revenue sports to fund athletic scholarships in the non-revenue sports. The UTEPs of the world aren't going to be able to keep up with the arms race, and whatever media exposure they currently enjoy is going to dry up as the gulf between them and the coming super-conferences opens wider. I fear that the UTEPs of the world will have to cut non-revenue sports, if not worse, to tread water, which eliminates opportunities for would-be student-athletes, many of them women, to pursue a degree.

If the purpose of COLLEGE athletics is to give opportunities for students to use their talents in pursuit of a college degree, then the reduction of these opportunities is contrary to that purpose.

There is already a professional league. Let the people who want to earn money playing a sport without pursuing a degree go play in the pros.

If colleges are for-profit professional sports teams, then why are they being held to Title IX standards? Does the NFL have to provide roughly 50% of their roster spots to women?

What does Title IX have to do with NIL opportunities? Any athlete, male, female, revenue sport, non-revenue sport has a NIL opportunity. It’s a potential income stream from outside of the school and athletic departments.

As someone who was a non-revenue scholarship athlete a decade after Title IX came about, I can tell you opportunities you speak of were eventually shifted from non-revenue make sports to non-revenue female sports. Not saying females should have less opportunities, but am saying there was blood and a lot of it in the 80’s for men’s non revenue sports. The opportunities for women are at little risk unless schools elect not to field a football team. I just don’t see that happening. All eyes to a super conference? Highly doubt it. The regional based teams still will have a following. Would you watch NU versus Virginia Or Oklahoma versus Missouri in the same time slot.

What does Title IX have to do with NIL opportunities? Any athlete, male, female, revenue sport, non-revenue sport has a NIL opportunity. It’s a potential income stream from outside of the school and athletic departments.
Corruption. Are there any limits on what somebody ostensibly outside the university, but in reality aligned with that university's athletics program, can offer so that athletes will choose to join that program over others?

Why give athletic scholarships at all? Why are they needed anymore?

Would you watch NU versus Virginia Or Oklahoma versus Missouri in the same time slot.
Half the conferences, half the FBS scholarships, are G5 schools. The G5 schools are going to get left behind. Will it even be possible to watch UTEP vs. Rice? What type of TV deal is CUSA going to get? Those athletic departments already spend more than they take in and I don't see how that improves.

I don't even know what the future holds for the Big 12 leftovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat

They should. And most better do it quickly before the market determines what they're actually worth.

Capitalism is what people blame when another individual pursues personal interests that are counter to their wishes that said person behave differently because, you know, they just should.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Capitalism is what people blame when another individual pursues personal interests that are counter to their wishes that said person behave differently because, you know, they just should.
So true. We should expect college players to keep playing for peanuts because that’s what they used to do. Sorry folks, it’s time for them to get some semblance of their market value.

Last edited:
So true. We should expect college players to keep playing for peanuts because that’s what they used to do. Sorry folks, it’s time for them to get some semblance of their market value.
But they are not playing for 'peanuts', as you put it. They are receiving scholarships and expenses coverage worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I imagine he’ll be an early reporter and get to practice with the team for the first half of 2022. He won’t get to play in 2021, as he will be sitting out his senior season and not yet eligible for college ball.
If he has completed the needed English class he would be eligible to play at Ohio State this year as a high school graduate. Saw one list that has him as the fifth most valuable player with regards to NIL.

An open ended NIL would allow for all kinds of scenarios. There needs to be rules that govern the program like you have to be eligible to play at a minimum. A unproven player that doesn't even practice driving around campus in a Corvette might get a lot of dates but not much respect from his fellow athletes who are working hard physically on a daily basis.

This is comical. Nobody gets paid for doing nothing. It may be nothing in your view but since when do you or Anyone else get to decide how someone else spends their money?
if in the end they do little to earn that money, so what? Buyer beware. Then you double down by trying to generalize people’s political leanings to the implementation of NIL.
Many spend their whole careers getting paid for doing nothing. Congress comes to mind. (Oh, Rant Board, wherefore art thou?)

Last edited:
If he has completed the needed English class he would be eligible to play at Ohio State this year as a high school graduate. Saw one list that has him as the fifth most valuable player with regards to NIL.
Holy cow, you can string a couple of words together and click post. I thought you only knew how to click on the emoji button.

What are you hearing about the superconference, Brutus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT