ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhizer is becoming the player we all thought he'd be

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
While much of the frustration in the early part of the season was directed toward Nicholson (welcome back Big Guy!), I was very concerned about Barnhizer's early shooting woes (injury or no injury). Was it possible we all overrated him? Why are so many of his shots coming up short early in games?

Well, check out his last six games (NU is 4-2):

19 ppg
5.8 rpg
2.5 apg
2.2 spg
0.7 bpg
1.3 tpg (five of his eight turnovers came in one game)
41-69 (59%) from field
21-26 (81%) from line
11-22 (50%) from field

For the season he's averaging 14.9 ppg and 6.6 rpg. During the Nebraska game the announcers were talking about him as an All-Big-Ten player, which I had never heard outside this board. I doubt he'll get THAT much recognition at the end of this season, but if he does the same thing over his next 12 as he did over his last six, he'll certainly be considered for preseason All-Big-10 next year.

It's clear from the Nebraska game that Barnhizer and Nicholson alone won't usually carry the team to victory if Boo isn't playing well, but when all three are good (like last night), the team is really fun to watch. And of course it's also really good.

Obviously, his hand was a pretty big issue.
True. I was worried beyond that, but it's clear that that was the major reason for his slow start.

He made so many clutch shots last night. Obviously the three in OT was huge, but had a tip-in and a shot-clock-buzzer-beating three and another one where he just went mano e mano with Hawkins and muscled past him. What a game!

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
He's living up the the high expectations my mind had for him this year. He shares with Buie, adjusted for position, not being particularly big, bouncy or fast (though he is a strong dude). What they also share is instincts. Really good instincts on making the right decisions.

Consider defensive NU "demi god" Audige had 2.4 steals a game. Barnhizer is touching that stat without the quickness or fast hands Audige had. Just incredible instincts.

W H A T A S T U D

While much of the frustration in the early part of the season was directed toward Nicholson (welcome back Big Guy!), I was very concerned about Barnhizer's early shooting woes (injury or no injury). Was it possible we all overrated him? Why are so many of his shots coming up short early in games?

Well, check out his last six games (NU is 4-2):

19 ppg
5.8 rpg
2.5 apg
2.2 spg
0.7 bpg
1.3 tpg (five of his eight turnovers came in one game)
41-69 (59%) from field
21-26 (81%) from line
11-22 (50%) from field

For the season he's averaging 14.9 ppg and 6.6 rpg. During the Nebraska game the announcers were talking about him as an All-Big-Ten player, which I had never heard outside this board. I doubt he'll get THAT much recognition at the end of this season, but if he does the same thing over his next 12 as he did over his last six, he'll certainly be considered for preseason All-Big-10 next year.

It's clear from the Nebraska game that Barnhizer and Nicholson alone won't usually carry the team to victory if Boo isn't playing well, but when all three are good (like last night), the team is really fun to watch. And of course it's also really good.
Barney can definitely be All Big ten this year. Probably third team, but he has a case for that if season ended now.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’m most impressed by his defense, frankly. We knew he was a versatile and excellent scorer with quite a few different moves both inside and outside and a mixture of power and finesse. We know from his size and motor that he can rebound. It’s harnessing his size as a large 3 defensively that’s really becoming a big deal. He’s not quite as large and long as Beran, but he’s approaching that same impact and role defensively (maybe 1 through 4 instead of 1 through 5) while also being the offensive star Beran never became.

Barnhizer could have carried the team at Nebraska if they could have just given him the damn ball in the last four minutes. He was the hot hand and only got the ball once during that time, where he scored, incidentally.

It's great to see Barny becoming an elite player. Even better to consider how multiple players are developing steadily under our coaching staff. Gone are the conversations about how we're not developing players - which at the time were valid in my view. Slightly OT but on that front, Berry has also come such a long way. He does little things in every game that are borderline elite. I think his impact on the game is sometimes under-appreciated - particularly on D. He's quietly a top-tier defender, a confident shooter and an excellent ball handler in crunch time. He's also straight-up strong, as witnessed in his strip of Shannon. Adds up to a lot of glue.

Last edited:
It's great to see Barny becoming an elite player. Even better to consider how multiple players are developing steadily under our coaching staff. Gone are the conversations about how we're not developing players - which at the time were valid in my view. Slightly OT but on that front, Berry has also come such a long way. He does little things in every game that are borderline elite. I think his impact on the game is sometimes under-appreciated - particularly on D. He's quietly a top-tier defender, a confident shooter and an excellent ball handler in crunch time. He's also straight-up strong, as witnessed in his strip of Shannon. Adds up to a lot of glue.
I don’t remember which announcer it was, but one of the analysts during one of the games said that with Berry’s improved shooting, he might be setting himself up for a big payday. His skillset of fantastic defense and turnover generation, freebie guard rebounding, and great off-ball slashing combined with a sweet outside shot is a highly desired skillset in most of the best leagues in the world.

Here was Barnhizer's offers:
  • Ball State
  • Butler
  • Detroit-Mercy
  • Evansville
  • Western Kentucky
  • Xavier
  • Yale
  • Louisville
Here's his individual stats rank from conference games:
4th in %Min
20th in ORTG (120.0 - career high)
9th in eFG (59.5)
21st in TO Rate (11.0)
15th in Stl% 2.8
22nd in FT
20th in 2FG%
6th in 3FG 48%

And this was against the #1 rated B1G Strength of Schedule.

Only 3 P5 offers and he's arguably an All-B1G 2nd or 3rd team selection in his junior year.

I don’t remember which announcer it was, but one of the analysts during one of the games said that with Berry’s improved shooting, he might be setting himself up for a big payday. His skillset of fantastic defense and turnover generation, freebie guard rebounding, and great off-ball slashing combined with a sweet outside shot is a highly desired skillset in most of the best leagues in the world.
Just hope we are the ones doing the paying.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
Here was Barnhizer's offers:
  • Ball State
  • Butler
  • Detroit-Mercy
  • Evansville
  • Western Kentucky
  • Xavier
  • Yale
  • Louisville
Here's his individual stats rank from conference games:
4th in %Min
20th in ORTG (120.0 - career high)
9th in eFG (59.5)
21st in TO Rate (11.0)
15th in Stl% 2.8
22nd in FT
20th in 2FG%
6th in 3FG 48%

And this was against the #1 rated B1G Strength of Schedule.

Only 3 P5 offers and he's arguably an All-B1G 2nd or 3rd team selection in his junior year.
Louisville pops out

Midmajor, midmajor, midmajor, and then BAM

Reactions: Gladeskat
No offer from Purdue or Indiana. I recall that Purdue fans didn't think he was quick enough to receive a Purdue offer. They thought he was mid-major material.

My guess, as a coaches' son, he's a gym rat and has worked hard on all aspects of his game. He keeps improving. It's wonderful to see.

Reactions: Zootcat
Quicker first step, little more athletism and pull up jump shot and he can be a pro.

Should stay at NU where he can work on all of those the next year and a half

He will be the face of NU basketball and one of the faces of the BIG Ten

Bright future if the stars align for him.

Reactions: IGNORE2
His steal and dunk last night at about the four minute mark remaining in the game was the nail in the coffin for the Huskers, at least in my eyes. They were hanging around and could have cut the lead to 11 or 12. Instead, Barnizer jumped the pass and picked up the easy steal and bucket, giving the Cats a 16 point lead. It was over at that point, despite Nebraska continuing to foul for the next ten minutes.

"Barnhizer is becoming the player we all thought he'd be"​

Thats giving the board some extra credit...
There were plenty of doubters and even a few bashers when Barnhizer couldn't get on the court as a freshman.

Midway through last season, the Barnie Bandwagon started taking on riders.
The train used to just carry the locals, but now it is making regional stops.

Not sure if the tracks lead to Phoenix just yet...

"Barnhizer is becoming the player we all thought he'd be"​

Thats giving the board some extra credit...
There were plenty of doubters and even a few bashers when Barnhizer couldn't get on the court as a freshman.

Midway through last season, the Barnie Bandwagon started taking on riders.
The train used to just carry the locals, but now it is making regional stops.

Not sure if the tracks lead to Phoenix just yet...
Tough to get on the court as freshman after a broken foot. Probably wasn’t fully healthy and in game shape until during the season and then you have to develop and learn to play with your teammates mid season. Also learn how to play with/against D1 B1G competition. That’s no easy task.

A little more about his dad and his background.

Tough to get on the court as freshman after a broken foot. Probably wasn’t fully healthy and in game shape until during the season and then you have to develop and learn to play with your teammates mid season. Also learn how to play with/against D1 B1G competition. That’s no easy task.

What you wrote makes perfect sense as a possibility, in a vacuum.

However, I know, based on a conversation between Barnhizer and "a trusted source", that he was frustrated with his lack of an opportunity by January of his freshman season.

Suffice it to say that Brooks got good advice from his father and things have worked out well.

• Wow

However, I know, based on a conversation between Barnhizer and "a trusted source", that he was frustrated with his lack of an opportunity by January of his freshman season.

Suffice it to say that Brooks got good advice from his father and things have worked out well.
Almost everyone is frustrated as a Freshman. It’s College ball.

It’s frustrating not playing no matter the circumstances. The foot was 100% a setback. Both things can be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT