ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest opening win?

Only as a coach. And only because this was the best team we've played in an opener, since he's now 9-1 or something like that.

I think his biggest opening win was his first, against Walk's former school Miami. Fitz took a shell shocked team into Oxford and pulled out a win, 21-3. Even though Miami was bad that season, it is pretty remarkable what he pulled off.

Thus, the biggest opening game upset (based on rank of the opponent) would be:

1. 1959 vs Oklahoma
2. 1967 vs Miami (FL)
3. 1995 vs Notre Dame
4. 2015 vs Stanford

Agreed but this is huge. However this felt like it could be the start of something very special much like that 95 victory.

Agree that this season isn't history yet, so it may be a year at least before we can assess how big yesterday was/is/becomes.

Reactions: CatManTrue
That Miami team in 1967 was ranked #8 by the AP. Back then, however, there were two major polls: AP and UPI. For some reason, the two news agencies were quite divided on the '67 teams. UPI ranked Miami #1 heading into the season, and this gave NU its only season-opening win vs. a #1-ranked team (in a major poll).

Reactions: seavue617
That Miami team in 1967 was ranked #8 by the AP. Back then, however, there were two major polls: AP and UPI. For some reason, the two news agencies were quite divided on the '67 teams. UPI ranked Miami #1 heading into the season, and this gave NU it's only season-opening win vs. a #1-ranked team (in a major poll).

...I guess I should congratulate myself: according to rivals, this was my very first post on this site. Interesting.

Reactions: rmndcat
Agree that this season isn't history yet, so it may be a year at least before we can assess how big yesterday was/is/becomes.
In the larger historical context,1995 was the most significant--not entirely for game itself, but as the turning point into the Renaissance of NU football. I think our current plateau, even as disappointing as 5-7 was, means the win yesterday wasn't as momentous coming from a perrenial doormat of 70s, 80s and early 90s. Yesterday was a great win to be savored for a bit before the next game, but not, literally, game-changing like 1995.

Thus, the biggest opening game upset (based on rank of the opponent) would be:

1. 1959 vs Oklahoma
2. 1967 vs Miami (FL)
3. 1995 vs Notre Dame
4. 2015 vs Stanford
That Miami team in 1967 was ranked #8 by the AP. Back then, however, there were two major polls: AP and UPI. For some reason, the two news agencies were quite divided on the '67 teams. UPI ranked Miami #1 heading into the season, and this gave NU its only season-opening win vs. a #1-ranked team (in a major poll).
So, given all we’ve learned: which was the biggest opening victory in history?

Sadly, per Sheffielder’s post… the 2015 season wasn’t a historic one. The Stanford victory was the Zenith, while the Outback bowl the nadir.

Iowa and Michigan each crushed us too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT