ADVERTISEMENT

Bizzaro World

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
6-7 years ago - if anyone said that NU would be a MBB school with a run of dances and FB to be the program that sucks, you would be laughed outta the room…

I put this all on the AD and Prez - past and present. They got lucky with some tough love that was also probably a bad idea in CCC. But the school allowed PF to become the unfireable Golden Boy. That attitude probably contributed to what ultimately did him in, but caused plenty of problems along the way. And he was becoming insufferable - attitude about the media, the fans, whatever. He long lost the lovable leader of the team anyone could get behind.

CCC is nothing short of a miracle. Should been run out of here - took a terrible call out from a cheap school unwilling to pay termination money and he actually re-invented himself and the program. While I applaud the result, the guy behind the action truly stepped in dog shot that turned out to be ice cream.

They completely have screwed the pooch with the stadium - and didn’t do well leading into the WR redo. (Place is pretty awesome - but remember there was controversy there too)

What really pisses me off:
We have a major donor that is self made yet seemingly an enabler to all this bullshat. In light of his Bears / McCaskey connections - have to wonder if his fortune was dumb luck

We have a couple major sport voices - but neither care to make NU a thing. Funny - that game day blowhard from OSU has no problem and keeps his job while airing his alma mater opinions…

We have a bunch of professional or retired professional athletes that will go out on a limb for stupid political thoughts but haven’t contributed to NU sports in any positive way I can see.

I like Braun - he did nothing short of a miracle last year. But I would leave immediately if I was him. No stadium, no qb, no brains in roles above him, and those that owe their fortune due to NU athletics are not chipping in enough.

Screw the Ivy League - maybe NU should follow the UoC path. That B1G revenue is peanuts next to the endowment and NU has rarely cared about sports anyway.

6-7 years ago - if anyone said that NU would be a MBB school with a run of dances and FB to be the program that sucks, you would be laughed outta the room…

I put this all on the AD and Prez - past and present. They got lucky with some tough love that was also probably a bad idea in CCC. But the school allowed PF to become the unfireable Golden Boy. That attitude probably contributed to what ultimately did him in, but caused plenty of problems along the way. And he was becoming insufferable - attitude about the media, the fans, whatever. He long lost the lovable leader of the team anyone could get behind.

CCC is nothing short of a miracle. Should been run out of here - took a terrible call out from a cheap school unwilling to pay termination money and he actually re-invented himself and the program. While I applaud the result, the guy behind the action truly stepped in dog shot that turned out to be ice cream.

They completely have screwed the pooch with the stadium - and didn’t do well leading into the WR redo. (Place is pretty awesome - but remember there was controversy there too)

We have a major donor that is self made yet seemingly an enabler to all this bullshat. In light of his Bears / McCaskey connections - have to wonder if his fortune was dumb luck

We have a couple major sport voices - but neither care to make NU a thing. Funny - that game day blowhard from OSU has no problem and keeps his job while airing his alma mater opinions…

We have a bunch of professional or retired professional athletes that will go out on a limb for stupid political thoughts but haven’t contributed to NU sports in any positive way I can see.

I like Braun - he did nothing short of a miracle last year. But I would leave immediately if I was him. No stadium, no qb, no brains in roles above him, and those that owe their fortune due to NU athletics are not chipping in enough.

Screw the Ivy League - maybe NU should follow the UoC path. That B1G revenue is peanuts next to the endowment and NU has rarely cared about sports anyway.

Cool.

You forgot about Jacob Schmidt having to make do with Scotch Tape and Popsicle sticks

Reactions: IGNORE2

eb4.jpg

After the 2021 disaster of a season I was thinking about if NU would end up going down the Univ of Chicago path. That would have made sense in the 80's, but the university has too much money invested in the football program and now the new stadium to just pull the plug on everything. It will look silly having a new stadium and a gigantic state of the art training facility and calling it quits on football. This whole thing is a major debacle and calls into question the intelligence of those that run the university. Who would have thought that the premier academic university in the B1G and the Great Lakes states would be run by idiots without a real plan. If anything I think NU will just bolt the B1G or be a victim of the relegation idea that has been floated around. NU will get knocked down into Conference USA or the AAC if those will still be around in say 5-10 years. I was happy with the Braun hiring, but was hoping all the hype about the cinderella season would have given the program at least a small uptick in recruiting. Now with Sullivan leaving, it throws it off even further. I see no bowls in the immediate or even short term for the 'Cats.

Reactions: IGNORE2
After the 2021 disaster of a season I was thinking about if NU would end up going down the Univ of Chicago path. That would have made sense in the 80's, but the university has too much money invested in the football program and now the new stadium to just pull the plug on everything. It will look silly having a new stadium and a gigantic state of the art training facility and calling it quits on football. This whole thing is a major debacle and calls into question the intelligence of those that run the university. Who would have thought that the premier academic university in the B1G and the Great Lakes states would be run by idiots without a real plan. If anything I think NU will just bolt the B1G or be a victim of the relegation idea that has been floated around. NU will get knocked down into Conference USA or the AAC if those will still be around in say 5-10 years. I was happy with the Braun hiring, but was hoping all the hype about the cinderella season would have given the program at least a small uptick in recruiting. Now with Sullivan leaving, it throws it off even further. I see no bowls in the immediate or even short term for the 'Cats.
Well, NU’s basketball team was successful despite the buffoons in high places. Maybe Braun can do the same thing.

Well, NU’s basketball team was successful despite the buffoons in high places. Maybe Braun can do the same thing.
Well, maybe he’s planning to run the wishbone in light of the Lakefill stadium along w a top notch D….otherwise, he has a small problem on the offensive side of the ball

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin

Compared to football, basketball is (and always has been) a less difficult mountain to climb at Northwestern.

The women's sports are relatively easy because nobody really "goes pro" (besides basketball, sort of) so the NU degree is the attraction. Much easier to recruit.

Compared to football, basketball is (and always has been) a less difficult mountain to climb at Northwestern.

The women's sports are relatively easy because nobody really "goes pro" (besides basketball, sort of) so the NU degree is the attraction. Much easier to recruit.
Before the portal, l think football was easier because there is so much development required in football. Pat could recruit 2 and 3-stars that could develop into excellent players after 3 or 4 years in the program. There are lots of first round NFL draft picks that come from non power-3 conferences. Not so much in basketball. There is only so much development you can expect from some of our basketball recruits (although playing 5 years helps).

But with the portal, we are losing some of the diamonds in the rough in football once they develop and some kids even before they develop. Not to mention it is a lot more expensive to pay 50 plus kids v. 10.

Explains all those trips to the Dance compared to the absence of bowl appearances…

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat
I trust that Braun and Lujan know what they’re doing. They would try to keep Sullivan if they
Felt he was good

Reactions: No Chores
Before the portal, l think football was easier because there is so much development required in football. Pat could recruit 2 and 3-stars that could develop into excellent players after 3 or 4 years in the program. There are lots of first round NFL draft picks that come from non power-3 conferences. Not so much in basketball. There is only so much development you can expect from some of our basketball recruits (although playing 5 years helps).

But with the portal, we are losing some of the diamonds in the rough in football once they develop and some kids even before they develop. Not to mention it is a lot more expensive to pay 50 plus kids v. 10.
Not so sure about this. Washington, Joseph and skow are the only three drafted to nfl from portal transfer group. I think a few more tasted the nfl. But percentage wise - can’t be that different from percentage of BB players that made gleague or nba among our transfers - nance, kopp?, anyone else?

Anywho - while the portal took some FB players we liked, I don’t think many were liked by the nfl.

We definitely ran into some bad timing with the transfer portal rule and NIL in football. Fitzgerald had gotten things to the point where we usually had NFL-caliber players on the roster, but when those players were suddenly able to leave the program and be rewarded financially (as opposed to being punished by having to sit out a year for transferring) that was just a punch in the gut. For any developmental program.

One of the many reasons I can't stand the way things are now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT