ADVERTISEMENT

Boo’s Draft Prospects

Zootcat

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
Tyler Kolek from Marquette is getting first round NBA draft projections. I can’t find anything similar for Boo. Can anyone explain this? Kole’s is only one inch taller, and I understand the NBA prioritizes taller guards now.

What gives? Why the difference?

Kolek is not nearly as crafty as Boo. He’s not as instinctive a scorer as Buie. But he has a game that seems to me more suited for the NBA.

He’s not much taller but is bulkier, stronger, and has a game more suited to running an offense. He’s very good at keeping others involved.

That’s my take from limited viewing. I catch Marquette here and there as it’s my wife’s school, but I don’t follow that closely.

Reactions: Zootcat
Kolek is not nearly as crafty as Boo. He’s not as instinctive a scorer as Buie. But he has a game that seems to me more suited for the NBA.

He’s not much taller but is bulkier, stronger, and has a game more suited to running an offense. He’s very good at keeping others involved.

That’s my take from limited viewing. I catch Marquette here and there as it’s my wife’s school, but I don’t follow that closely.
One of my best friend’s has Marquette season tickets, so we go with each other to our respective schools’ games. So, I’ve seen Kolek play. Obviously, he’s a very good player, on a really good team. But I think Buie is the better college player, or at the very least more of his team’s MVP.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I love Buie as a college player and am no expert on Kolek. That said,some basic things jump out as draft prospects. 1. Buie is nearly 2 years older than Kolek and is smaller 2. Kolek is seen as an elite college passer with that being a skill that might translate to nba 3. Kolek is a better shooter at least statistically.

None of this is an indictment on Buie who is awesome. However I see a near-zero likelihood that Buie gets drafted. His likely option will be a summer league opportunity and perhaps an Exhibit 10 contract (non-guaranteed, allowing teams to waive the player without taking a cap hit. In that situation, the player would earn a bonus of between $5,000 to $50,000 if they remain with the team's G League affiliate for 60 days. (language lifted from Sportingnews.com). Another path would be playing globally. We all know about Shurna's long successful career in Europe. Vic Law is leading his Japanese B league team in scoring this year. Former Ilini Kofi Cockburn is doing well in Korea. Some players have skills that translate better in other leagues.

In a normal draft, I doubt Kolek would sniff the first round however this draft is seemingly dubious in terms of talent. I still think that he will get picked in the 2nd round and will have a two-way contract. A lot can change between now and the draft but a team would have to have a very specific need for a pg to draft him at 23 years old.

Reactions: jschufreider
I love Buie as a college player and am no expert on Kolek. That said,some basic things jump out as draft prospects. 1. Buie is nearly 2 years older than Kolek and is smaller 2. Kolek is seen as an elite college passer with that being a skill that might translate to nba 3. Kolek is a better shooter at least statistically.

None of this is an indictment on Buie who is awesome. However I see a near-zero likelihood that Buie gets drafted. His likely option will be a summer league opportunity and perhaps an Exhibit 10 contract (non-guaranteed, allowing teams to waive the player without taking a cap hit. In that situation, the player would earn a bonus of between $5,000 to $50,000 if they remain with the team's G League affiliate for 60 days. (language lifted from Sportingnews.com). Another path would be playing globally. We all know about Shurna's long successful career in Europe. Vic Law is leading his Japanese B league team in scoring this year. Former Ilini Kofi Cockburn is doing well in Korea. Some players have skills that translate better in other leagues.

In a normal draft, I doubt Kolek would sniff the first round however this draft is seemingly dubious in terms of talent. I still think that he will get picked in the 2nd round and will have a two-way contract. A lot can change between now and the draft but a team would have to have a very specific need for a pg to draft him at 23 years old.
Young from Maryland out played Boo in both games at least statistically. He's about the same size maybe a little smaller but might have a better shot at the NBA

I love Boo, but I've generally thought he's a real longshot to be a regular on an NBA roster. But as his 3-pt range increases, I wonder if he has a chance.

Then I saw Toronto recently signed former OSU and Marquette PG DJ Carton to a 10-day contract. Carton is 6-2, 200 lbs vs Boo. 6-2, 180 lbs.

Carton came out of Marqutte shooting 28% from 3, but he shot 43% from 3 while averaging 38 min for the Toronto's Iowa G-League team this year.

This is Carton's first sniff of the NBA and his organization. He 's played a grand total of four minutes since he was signed on 2/22.

Hopefully, Boo has much more polish to his game than Carton. Personalities always matter at that end of an NBA bench also. But Boo has his work cut out for him. I hope the basketball gods are with him.

Reactions: EagerFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT