ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Odds

Reasonable given the talent that Utah has.

Even though Utah is better than every team we've beaten, I still feel like this is a winnable game. Feels like we already won 3 games this year as 7-11 point underdogs (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois).

It's going to be relatively low scoring as long as our front 7 handle rush defense well. Question is whether we can put up 21-28 points, which is probably enough to win it...

If we can get Coco back that’ll help the D and I’ll feel better about our chances.
Bryant may not have been 100% when he came back, hopefully the few weeks off will have him fully healthy.
The extra practices will be great I think for our lines especially, which will both have to have very good games for a chance to win.

Where NU lives.

IMHO, NU is improving, though. That W against Illinois was huge. NU plays like that against Utah, they can win.

Even though Utah is better than every team we've beaten, I still feel like this is a winnable game. Feels like we already won 3 games this year as 7-11 point underdogs (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois).

It's going to be relatively low scoring as long as our front 7 handle rush defense well. Question is whether we can put up 21-28 points, which is probably enough to win it...
This Utah team is not very good. They have had some clunkers and QB has been an issue without Rising (who I think is a very good college QB). This is exactly the type of offense NU defense excels at. Stop the run and make a shaky QB make throws. Take the points

We've won 3 conference games as double-digit underdogs this year (Maryland believe +14, Minnesota I think +10.5, Wisconsin I believe closed at +12), and 5 conference games total we won as outright underdogs (Purdue +3*, Illinois +6.5). We also covered the spread in both our losses to Iowa and Nebraska while Bryant was out. We did not cover against PSU (in part due to that jerk fake kneel play they ran when they could have run out the clock), and did not against Rutgers or Duke early in the season. So we were 7-3 ATS vs decent teams, including closing with 6 straight covers.

Utah may well beat us, but the betting lines have underestimated us pretty consistently once we got past the ugly first few games to start the season.

* Purdue actually shifted to us being a favorite -2.5 just before kickoff with the news of their QB Hudson Card being out, but I got it at +3 earlier. We covered the -2.5 as well with an 8 point W.

Reactions: zeek55
Seriously. When was the last time we were favored going into a bowl game? It seems a betting rule to have us as a bowl game underdog.

Reactions: ricko654321
Seriously. When was the last time we were favored going into a bowl game? It seems a betting rule to have us as a bowl game underdog.
We were favored in the Citrus bowl game (Auburn had a fair number of injuries, we were considerably healthier and had played a lot better than them all season).

Generally though yeah we've been underdogs more often than not.

Generally our bowl games have been a) in the South (1996, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020), b) against an SEC or Big 12 team (1996, 2000, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020), and or c) in a higher bowl slot because multiple big ten teams made BCS/playoff/NY6 games (1996, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017).

All of this works against us being favored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT