ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Ty Berry out for season

Sucks but was expected. Martinelli will fill in just fine. I don’t think we lose a lot in the primary lineup tbh. Different style probably but production will still be good. My concern is who steps up off the bench? Clayton? Mullins? Has to be at least one of them for us to make the tourney and make a deep run.

Sucks but was expected. Martinelli will fill in just fine. I don’t think we lose a lot in the primary lineup tbh. Different style probably but production will still be good. My concern is who steps up off the bench? Clayton? Mullins? Has to be at least one of them for us to make the tourney and make a deep run.
Come on man, this is devastating news.

It's rough news as the 'Cats showed how elite they could be offensively Berry as an offensive threat at all 3 levels, and a capable on-ball defender and backcourt rebounder. He logged double digits in 8 out of 11 B1G games (not counting NEB as he was done after 9 minutes), and the mere threat of him lighting it up created space for Buie and 'Borg.

Assuming that Barnhizer stays at the 4, NickMart will likely log 30+ minutes from the 3. While he looks to be a capable defensive rebounder, as well protects the ball a tick better than Ty, here's hoping his length and smarts can keep him upright against the quicker wings. Berry was proven elite at 3FG - 31-67 / 46.3% in B1G Play. Martinelli shows signs he can help keep pace at 3FG - 7-16 (43.8%), and he's gonna get those chances in the days ahead.

Get well soon, Ty.

Condolences from an RU fan. Very unfortunate to see as I enjoy watching NW and generally root for them

We know first hand what a major injury can do to a team that lacks depth. Mag went down this time last season and our promising season spiraled out of control as went from 2nd in B1G to missing the tournament

Hope this doesn't derail your season, but I think it's a big enough factor in tomorrow night's game to tilt it in RU's favor

I don't feel this moves the needle much as I thought if he came back he would not have much to give the team. Maybe an emotional boost, that's it.

I wrote a while ago that chances were we would have someone injured. It's just expected. We don't keep close tabs on other teams, but everyone does.

I still think we are a pretty darn good team without Berry. As long as our guys stay out of foul trouble, and are able to be on the floor, we are still good. Tired, sure, but still good. Foul trouble and we are on life support.

Well, apparently the sky really is falling. Damn.

Still, we need to get out in big numbers and support the team during these next several weeks As others have said, they’re still a very good team, and we can still make the tournament.

Damn.

Man, this sucks. He had elevated his game so much this year. Now I'm worried that if we gack up some of these games, the committee will look at how we're playing now without him and screw us over despite the big wins we had this year since he's not going to be able to return.

I don't feel this moves the needle much as I thought if he came back he would not have much to give the team. Maybe an emotional boost, that's it.

I wrote a while ago that chances were we would have someone injured. It's just expected. We don't keep close tabs on other teams, but everyone does.

I still think we are a pretty darn good team without Berry. As long as our guys stay out of foul trouble, and are able to be on the floor, we are still good. Tired, sure, but still good. Foul trouble and we are on life support.
When you say it doesn't move the needle, you mean the news today doesn't move the needle from what you thought two days ago (when there was the possibility he'd be back), right? I'm with you there, but compared to a week ago, I'd say this moves the needle considerably.

The team is still good, and every team has to deal with injuries in one way or another. We may not see tomorrow how good NU can be without Berry, but they will work together to make some adjustments and come out the other end with some wins.

Plus if NU stumbles to an 11th seed, they'd have a better chance of making the second weekend than they would if they were an 8 or 9, right? That's something.

I'm pretty bummed, but I'll bet Ty is bummed even more.

It's going to be a lot harder for the Cats to finish the season strong enough to go dancing again imho.

Reactions: cats_man_too
This is seriously tough news for the team and for Ty. He’s been a key weapon at both ends of the floor. Other guys really need to step up now. This is the group the Cats have for battle. And they have a lot to battle for ahead of them.

Last edited:
When you say it doesn't move the needle, you mean the news today doesn't move the needle from what you thought two days ago (when there was the possibility he'd be back), right? I'm with you there, but compared to a week ago, I'd say this moves the needle considerably.

The team is still good, and every team has to deal with injuries in one way or another. We may not see tomorrow how good NU can be without Berry, but they will work together to make some adjustments and come out the other end with some wins.

Plus if NU stumbles to an 11th seed, they'd have a better chance of making the second weekend than they would if they were an 8 or 9, right? That's something.
Correct - it was devastating Wednesday, still sucks a ton now, but I think anyone realistic understood this was the likeliest scenario.

Depth is gone, but it's up to the home fans to push these guys over the finish line to making history.

What would a certain football coach say in this situation?

“All our goals are still in front of us”.

:D

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I'm pretty bummed, but I'll bet Ty is bummed even more.

It's going to be a lot harder for the Cats to finish the season strong enough to go dancing again imho.
In 2017 Scottie caught mono and missed several games and had to work himself back into game shape. Last year they lost Roper and endured a COVID shutdown. Every team faces adversity but those other teams stepped up and made the tournament. This team is capable of doing that too.

In 2017 Scottie caught mono and missed several games and had to work himself back into game shape. Last year they lost Roper and endured a COVID shutdown. Every team faces adversity but those other teams stepped up and made the tournament. This team is capable of doing that too.
Really good points re: Scottie and Roper. We are fortunate we had a “+1” in Mart. Our margin for error is gone now but we have enough if everyone else stays healthy going forward. Let’s get it. Grab the win tomorrow. Go ‘Cats!

Reactions: Sec.112 and MC_Cat
However, if the bench doesn’t step up the drop off for the rest of the team will be significant.
What bench?

We’ve got two true freshmen (Barkley and Strauss) who are apparently red-shirting, a transfer who Collins apparently doesn’t trust to put on the floor (Mullins), a wholly-unproductive true freshman (Clayton) and two walk-ons.

And then there’s Preston/Hunger, who Collins will only play, one at a time, when Nicholson is not on the court.

We lose a whole lot. Berry was a tough defender, good ball handler and rebounder and we lose his three point shooting and that opened things up to drives by others, Yes Martinelli can score from inside but the outside shooting does not really scare anyone and now teams can cheat and clog up lanes that they could not when Berry was in. He was basically the glue guy that was not flashy but made the team work. And we lose a whole lot of the already thin bench as Martinelli is no longer on it

What bench?

We’ve got two true freshmen (Barkley and Strauss) who are apparently red-shirting, a transfer who Collins apparently doesn’t trust to put on the floor (Mullins), a wholly-unproductive true freshman (Clayton) and two walk-ons.

And then there’s Preston/Hunger, who Collins will only play, one at a time, when Nicholson is not on the court.
Clayton has been unproductive offensively but looks like he belongs defensively.

Aside from that… it’s hard to disagree with your assessment. With Martinelli starting, we have half a player on the bench. Mullins or somebody needs to step up bigly.

Devastating - causing severe shock, distress or grief.

Did he die?
This news really sucks, it greatly damaged our dreams of another March Madness bid, and given how tricky meniscal repair can be it is devastating for Berry’s pro career chances.

For diehard fans, the team, or Berry and his family, this is devastating news. But, for the rest of humanity, life goes on. Capiche?

We can all sugarcoat it as much as we want, but this is crushing. When one of you put up a poll about who would be our number two guy this year behind Boo, I picked Ty. I said if Ty has a big year, this team will be special again.

He has and they have.

His three point shooting has been so huge for us and his defense and rebounding from the guard spot have also been a factor. Not to mention the drop off now in quality minutes the Cats have to put on the floor due to a lack of depth.

The guys may rally and find a way to squeak into the tourny still, but I think the odds are against us. None of the remaining games are gimmes, especially some very tough road games.

If Collins gets this group to the tournament, we are renaming the court after him.

Reactions: Scangg and IGNORE2
Clayton has been unproductive offensively but looks like he belongs defensively.

Aside from that… it’s hard to disagree with your assessment. With Martinelli starting, we have half a player on the bench. Mullins or somebody needs to step up bigly.
Indeed. We need another player capable of taking the floor just to play aggressive defense.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I still feel it's weird Mullins can't be the guy that comes in and grabs the opportunity by the cojones and is, through the end of the season, complimented by announcers in every game.

What I saw from him was a very athletic dude with a decent jump shot. Unfortunately, also very naïve.

I don't question the decision of not having played him. He shows what he shows in practice and the decision is based on that. But just based on athleticism, woof, what a shame.

We have a way to make up for Berry. That's Nick. The problem for us is having someone to make up for Nick.

Last edited:
I still feel it's weird Mullins can't be the guy that comes in and grabs the opportunity by the cojones and it, through the end of the season, complimented by announcers in every game.

What I saw from him was a very athletic dude with a decent jump shot. Unfortunately, also very naïve.

I don't doubt the decision of not having played him. He shows what he shows in practice and the decision is based on that. But just based on athleticism, woof, what a shame.

We have a way to make up for Berry. That's Nick. The problem for us is having someone to make up for Nick.
The college game may not have slowed down enough for Clayton to feel comfortable on offense. He hasn’t gotten much run yet in conference games.

Having PSU and Rutgers back to back should help if he gets enough minutes. Both teams play tougher D than most P5 teams.

also, Collins should have coached him to go for a basket at the end of OSU. Develop his killer instinct and build confidence, Triple C! Every f’ing play!

Reactions: ballerog711
The college game may not have slowed down enough for Clayton to feel comfortable on offense. He hasn’t gotten much run yet in conference games.

Having PSU and Rutgers back to back should help if he gets enough minutes. Both teams play tougher D than most P5 teams.

also, Collins should have coached him to go for a basket at the end of OSU. Develop his killer instinct and build confidence, Triple C! Every f’ing play!
I have zero indication that Clayton is a capable offensive player. I have some indication that Mullins is capable of being an offensive threat. Hence, why my post was about Mullins. Not to disagree with him not playing, more to lament what a shame.

But hey, Rutgers is not exactly an offensive juggernaut. They've had multiple under 50 games. So, who knows today CC feels he can hide Mullins on defense somewhere and he will see the floor. Or if foul trouble forces that to happen.

It is a big hit to the team to lose Berry, but I personally think we still have enough to win. Buie, Barnhizer, Langborg, Martinelli can all score and play defense. Buie runs the offense very well and is clutch in big moments. We have 3 bigs that have all played. Maybe it won't happen, but until it doesn't I am expecting a 2-0 week. We beat PSU without Berry, who we always struggle against.
I wonder if CC will try starting Clayton, just to give the bench a little more firepower.

This news really sucks, it greatly damaged our dreams of another March Madness bid, and given how tricky meniscal repair can be it is devastating for Berry’s pro career chances.

For diehard fans, the team, or Berry and his family, this is devastating news. But, for the rest of humanity, life goes on. Capiche?
I'm a diehard fan and it's not devastating to me. Feel horrible for Ty. But, they already won a game without him. No reason they can't win 4 more games with the schedule they have left. And that gets them into the tourney easily. 3 wins might even get them in.

And, you have easily become one of the most annoying posters on this site. Capiche?

It is a big hit to the team to lose Berry, but I personally think we still have enough to win. Buie, Barnhizer, Langborg, Martinelli can all score and play defense. Buie runs the offense very well and is clutch in big moments. We have 3 bigs that have all played. Maybe it won't happen, but until it doesn't I am expecting a 2-0 week. We beat PSU without Berry, who we always struggle against.
I wonder if CC will try starting Clayton, just to give the bench a little more firepower.
I hope we have enough to win a few more games and get to the tournament. But when Berry and Langborg both played well, we were capable of beating any team in the country. I feel terrible for Berry, for the team and for the fans that the best lineup won’t get a chance to play in the tournament. It could have been special.

I’m not so sure any of Buie, Langborg or Martinelli are more than average defenders. That’s probably being generous as well. NU loses a lot defensively without Berry. The offensive impact shouldn’t be understated either. Sure, Martinelli can get his on that end of the floor, but NUs offensive success has been predicated on the spacing that Ty, Boo and Langborg create for the entire team. They set up a lot of mismatches and/or open threes. Martinelli doesn’t create that the same way Berry did.

Can NU find a way to grind out enough wins to get in the tournament? Sure. That’s still a definite possibility. But, I generally agree with the posters that point to the lost opportunity to make a deep run. With Berry, this team’s ceiling was the Final Four. Unlikely, but certainly possible if they got hot like they were for that 3 game run against Illinois, OSU and Purdue. Without Berry, this team’s ceiling is realistically a round of 32 exit.

But, I generally agree with the posters that point to the lost opportunity to make a deep run. With Berry, this team’s ceiling was the Final Four. Unlikely, but certainly possible if they got hot like they were for that 3 game run against Illinois, OSU and Purdue. Without Berry, this team’s ceiling is realistically a round of 32 exit.
Depends on matchups, for sure, but this is a good take IMHO.

Reactions: cats_man_too
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT